pls add builtin SOCKS5 proxy server

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Dolfi, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Hi,

the HTTP proxy is nice but the software was easier and more versatile if one could choose between HTTP proxy and Socks proxy.
    Right now I installed CCProxy and added it to the browsers list but one needs to be an 'expert' to do so. Having Socks5 inside AG was a great addon.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  2. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I dont know much about proxys or socks 5 but wouldnt it add to the cost of adguard and alsomean the end of lifetime license? I mean i do abit of downloading and use VPNs at the moment but know some services offer a socks 5 (which im thinking of going for as i sometimes forget to start up the vpn) now if people figtured out how to use adguards socks 5 for downloading i dont think they could keep up with the costs. I could be wrong not knwing about this stuff but thats just what i think.

3. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

SOCKS5 is NOT a service

you're wrong about that. SOCKS5 is just a technology (technological standard).
    It is used (a SOCKS interface is provided) by some proxy (unsecure tunnel, SOCKS does not contain any encryption) providers, But it is also available as ready-to-compile-in-components for (almost) any programming language for free or a few bucks.

The latter is what I whished: Not providing a (SOCKS) proxy service but a SOCKS5 proxy interface within the program (same as the HTTP proxy interface already provided, just a different, way more advanced and versatile standard).
    Shouldn't be much work/effort if readily available components were used.

4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Btw this is the best way to do this.

The huge plus you get in this case is HTTPS filtering in proxy mode.
    If we add proxy mode in future - it will work the same way (proxy in a separate process + Adguard filtering it).

5. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Was I allowed to post a "HowTo setup AdGuard for use by Phones and tablets" or would that hurt your Android sales (at the end it's just 10 bucks difference for lifetime)?

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Of course you can post it, why not, I can't forbid such things.

Also I am pretty sure it can't hurt mobile version sales.