pls expose the EULA more/better

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Dolfi, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

I needed a search engine to find your EULA. That can't be in your interest.
    If I was you I
    - had the installer copy an EULA.txt to programs dir
    - had the link to the online-EULA (http://adguard.com/en/eula.html) in programs 'about' and/or 'license' tab
    - had a link on the 'Puchase' page (https://adguard.com/en/license.html) --> This is a MUST!*
    - had a link on the homepage, at least in the bottom link section below 'License'

* According to European law (EU) your EULA is invalid and not part of the contract because I had no reasonable way to get to know it before we agreed on the purchase.
    Actually you should have a checkbox on the 1st purchase page where buyers have to click "I have read and understood the license terms and I do agree." (find a better phrase for it ;)) to proceed.

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you, we'll check and fix it.

When you install Adguard you have to accept the EULA.
    Also we have a link to EULA in the footer of any page of the site.

3. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

When installing I have a short look at such EULAs (just to make sure there isn't sth. bad in it), not more.
    After installation it is not accessible in any way (except uninstall and re-install the software.
    Running the installer does not show the EULA but just a msgbox
    Code:
    ---------------------------
    You need to reboot
    Adguard is already installed.
    OK   
    Now that I knew what to look for I finally found it.
    Very well hidden. Hidden in a manner betrayers hide notices about money to be spent (in German "Kostennotiz von Abofallen" - has someone a good translation?).
    As you are honest and your EULA is pretty reasonable and fair it is counterproductive to do so. The EULA belongs thematically below 'License', this is where one is looking. I also named it 'License terms' or 'License agreement' and not EULA (that is an abbrevation a user does not necessarily know or search for).
    I bet if we went to court you lost because I had no resonable way to find the EULA. The display at install time is not enough in court if I can prove that I 1st bought the product and got the display afterwards (boxed products are a good example).
    BTW: The hovers (data-trigger="hover") I found in the page source are not working if one only just clicks the d/l-Button. One needs to keep the mouse over the button for about a sec for the tooltip (which makes more sense by talking about 'License agreement' instead of 'EULA') to appear.

P.S. Please do not get me wrong. I just try to help you fix issues that could bring you trouble in the EU market. These bloody sanctions against Russia are stupid and worse enough, no need to weaken your position yourself ;)

edit: BTW: the grammatically correct hover-text was data-content="By downloading the program you accept the terms of the <a href='/en/eula.html'>License agreement</a>" (pls. note the deleted "," too).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  4. avatar

It's not hidden:) It's common to put EULA and Privacy Policy to the bottom of the page.

Reasonable, changed the link text to License Agreement.

But why? You can't use license key until you've installed the program and accepted the terms of agreement?

Actually it's 0,5 sec:)

Thank you for helping us, it is really useful!

Fixed it, thank you!

5. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Thx for getting back!

But I can buy it w/o accepting the terms (my 3rd original point). That's enough. EU law.

6. avatar

I've checked avast.com and they don't make me to accept their terms when I purchase the license.

I just cannot understand where is breaking the law in selling something without making user to accept license agreement?

7. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Please see for instance here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endbenutzer-Lizenzvertrag
    (you'll need a translator like Google translate if you do not speak German).

AFAIK that is not only German law but (meanwhile) EU wide like that.

"I just cannot understand where is breaking the law in selling something without making user to accept license agreement?"
    You're not braking the law, you're just weakening your legal position.

8. avatar

Thank you, I've asked @Daria to read the article, she knows German.