pls. make the UI more usable / user friendly (== I hate it ;))

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Dolfi, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Hi,

the UI is (kind of) "beautiful" but
    - eats much CPU (especially loading settings tab, 2nd most protection tab - try configuring on an Atom or alike)
    - is pretty unpratical:
    - the scrollbars are way to small (not broad enough) to easily grab them with the mouse, it should be the double of now (just like regular scrollbars in Win)*​
    - one can scroll a list (example: add filter list subscriptions) by arrow keys but not select a checkbox by [Space]

So please enhance the usability of the UI to 'normal' Windows level (see also Windows GUI design guides).

Thank you

* might not matter on a 17" or 19" /w 1280x800 resolution but does on MB air**, a 17" 1920x1080 (better notebook) and even an 27" iMac** (2560x1440, newest even 5120x2880!)
    ** honestly the best Windows PCs ever!

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Adguard v6 will have an entirely new UI.

3. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Thanks for the info!
    Hopefully the UI design guy wasn't the same ;)
    I found a post by avatar saying the Mac version was 14days away (BTW: why no Win version as BETA?) and not much had changed since the v6 teaser video. But I did not find that (not even by search). Where can I find a preview/Screenshots/video of the v6?

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

[video=youtube;lw_my0EbP3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw_my0EbP3Y[/video]

5. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Thank you very much. But if you see the video you see that my fear was justified:
    Same bloody UI (I guess same "design" components). So I reask to comply to windows standards!
    AG has not only to serve social welfare beneficiants (/w cheap computers having horrible resolution) but also normal ppl having (even slightly) advanced equipment.
    Also: Bc of the CPU requirements not even social welfare beneficients do really profit from that kind of "design".

Thank you,
    Dolfi

edit: @avatar/devteam: I know that some design components are almost un-replacable (huge effort), made the mistake once myself. But all the OO programming languages I know allow 'tweaking' of components (actually elements) properties. You may need the sources of the components to enable editability (vs. hard coded setting) but one bought such anyway as a serious developer to be able to debug.
    You found element properties like form.(...)component.scrollbar.width which needed to be adapted to make the software more usable.
    Please do at least that (which also was only a few minutes effort!).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's just too early to discuss how bad is v6 design:)

Let's wait until first beta version.

7. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

To defend myself:
    Actually I was 'complaining' about v5 design. Then was promised
    whichs preview vid unfortunately did turn out to show just a revamped, blinki-blinki-effects-enriched UI using exactly the same design components as v5 (that's just consequent, you invested time and money in these), unfortunately making some of the same design mistakes. :eek:

But as you're talking about v6: Are you sure v6 will differ from video preview (except you're making it now ;))?
    And wasn't pre-BETA the very best place to put changes (bc. a classical BETA phase is only to kill bugs, not to do design changes or feature additions/changes)?

P.S. You won't need to buy new hardware to do such usability tests in your devteams lab. Just set the screen resolution to (at least) the quadruple (double in each dimension) of your screens native resolution and you'll have a great test environment [edit](given your graphics card supports such)[/edit].
    VMware is also a great tool fo such testing BTW (I guess VBox too, just have never used it for more than emulating Androids).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Of course we will change some components during beta stage, depends on the feedback.

We are completely rewriting UI and most of the service layer (leaving only filtering engine untouched).
    At least UI should become faster than v5.

What for scrollbar, I got it, we will change it during beta stage, not before.

9. Akshay

Akshay Beta Tester

Nice interface v6!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014