pls rename "AdGuard Service" to not contain a space

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Dolfi, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Hi,

it's best practice to have service names (not displayed name but service name) not contain spaces (saves (potential) trouble when automating/scripting things).
    I was glad you could rename "Adguard Service" to sth like "Adguard_Service" or simply AdGuardSvc (like the .exe name, where you avoid spaces).

Thank you,
    Dolfi

edit: I know I could do that myself in registry but I guess that got lost every other update, wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

But that's not true (i mean best practices), just take a look at other services names.

3. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

I would have to start up Win 7/8/10 machines to have a look but I bet you mix up displayed name (the one you see in services.msc) with the service name (the folder names you see in regedit below HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentrControlSet\Services) which is used in scripting by net start svcname or net stop svcname.
    One can handle spaces in a simple batch file by net start "svc name" but as soon as you need to nest quotation marks or an app (scripting env) misbehaves trouble starts.

In general spaces in names are a good example of "Beauty over usability" and engineers try to avoid them wherever they can (same as extended ASCII chars). Simple rule of thumb: "If avoiding spaces does not help it at least does no harm". But it can save a lot of time troubleshooting.
    BTW: How many programming languages do you know that allow spaces in object/property names? ;)

4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Heh, you're right, accepted this:)