Potential issues?

Discussion in 'Quality Control' started by Pentlands, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

Visited a website today that doesn't appear to have any advertising and... well, i took a couple of screenshots with and without Adguard filtering the page so you can see what i see...

Website in question: http://www.interserve.com

Without Adguard: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/pentlands/withoutadguard.jpg
    With Adguard: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/pentlands/withadguard.jpg

Even more odd is Adguard filters absolutely everything on the Photobucket homepage so i'm left with nothing but a white page, i can see content loading for a fraction of a second but when the filtering stops... nothing, i understand the homepage is heavily ad laden but surely there should be some content left?... i had to turn off filtering simply to login to Photobucket.

I currently have Adguard version 5.9.1073.5503 installed. Nothing has changed in my signature except for definition updates and last weeks Win7 updates.

I hope that helps.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

What browser(s) and filters are you using?

3. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

IE10, filter is what came with Adguard as default. I've not added a custom filter or changed the default other than adding a handful of 'exceptions' via Adguard Assistant.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Meant to include, i also have Firefox 27.0.1 installed but i very rarely use it.

4. Boo Berry

Very odd. Sadly, I don't have IE10 but I tested this with IE11 and it works fine (with the default English and Spyware filters enabled). Also tested Firefox and it's fine too.

However, looking at your signature it seems you could be using up to three anti-malware programs. Are you using them at the same time? Can you try completely disabling them, especially if they have real-time protection, and try testing that site again?

5. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

I just tried turning off Real-time protection in Microsoft Security essentials, disabled All Protection in SpywareBlaster, the version of MBAM i run is the free version so doesn't have real-time protection but for good measure i uninstalled MBAM, then tried the site again... i am still seeing the same issue.

Before i re-enabled my security software i even tried running IE10 in "No Add-ons" mode but even then the issue continued.

The only way to get the page to display correctly is when either Adguard is disabled, or the page is added as an exception to Adguard.

Fwiw, i must have had brain fade last night as it never occurred to me to try loading the page with Firefox until you mentioned it... i just did, and Firefox has the same issue.

I should probably be clearer about the filters i am using, i have not manually changed anything in Protection>Ad Blocker, but it has enabled:
    User Filter; Russian filter; English Filter; Spyware Filter; Social networks widgets Filter.

I presume the 'User filter' above is created when 'rules' are created by the end user when creating 'exceptions' as i have 4 'rules' listed in Settings>Ad blocker ?
    Actually, i potentially have 5 as there is a blank line with an unchecked box at the end in the Enabled column.
    Not sure if that's meant to be there, it gives me the right click options to enable/disable/delete but nothing happens when i select one of the options... manually clicking on the check box does check the box but as i don't what'll happen if i do, if anything, i haven't so far tried running with the box checked.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Fyi, just updated Adguard to version 5.9.1078.5516 and the issue still remains.

6. Boo Berry

Okay, I can confirm this issue BUT it's an issue with the Russian filter. If you disable it, it'll display fine. Avatar will have to adjust the Russian filters to fix that site.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

Excellent, i can confirm my issue is resolved on both IE10 and Firefox by disabling the Russian Filter, many thanks!

8. Boo Berry

If you add this to your user filters, it'll temp fix the issue with the Russian filter enabled.

@@||interserve.com$jsinject

I'll try hunting down the rule(s) which breaks this site. Kinda hard for me to through the current log, but we'll see. :)

9. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

Thanks for the additional info, curious why i would need the Russian filter at all as i don't speak Russian... or is it simply a filter to block Russian ads?

I assume by adding @@||photobucket.com$jsinject that'll also solve the problem with Photobucket when the Russian filters are enabled?

10. Boo Berry

The Activate the most appropriate filters automatically feature, which is enabled by default, is probably what enabled the Russian filters. By default, I have that feature disabled (Settings section).

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Quite possible. But in this case if you have no need for the Russian filter, I'd just disable it and rock the English filter. :p

11. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

It could only have been the default settings that enabled the Russian filter, perhaps a language option when the installer runs might be a good idea so that only relevant filters are installed?

It should be safe to consider this thread closed, many thanks for your help. :)

12. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Fixed interserve.com issue in Russian filter.

But I cannot reproduce photobucket issue.

Russian filter is disabled by default. It could be enabled if Adguard detects russian web sites. We'll check it, maybe detection works wrong on one of our sites?

13. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

Apologies for the long delay in replying.

I can confirm that the interserve.com issue is resolved at my end.

However there is still an issue with photobucket, albeit much reduced in scale.

As you will see from the following screenshots the homepage is almost complete with Adguard enabled, but it isn't until Adguard is disabled and all instances of IE10 closed, before opening a 'fresh' session of IE10 that you notice the missing content...

Adguard disabled: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/pentlands/AdguardDisabled.jpg
    Note the ad right of centre at the bottom, it is later blocked by Adguard but it appears that all the tiles to the left are also removed? Hope that makes sense.

Adguard enabled with Russian filter: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/pentlands/WithRussian.jpg

Adguard enabled without Russian filter: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/pentlands/WithoutRussian.jpg

On a positive note it appears that whether or not the Russian filter is enabled now makes no difference.

Hope that helps.

14. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Fixed it, thank you!

15. zzZzz

zzZzz Beta Tester

16. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

not seeing this on my end. couple of questions:

- filters you have activated
    - extensions you have installed and activated
    - have you tested it on other browsers, firefox for example ?
    - to clarify, does disabling filtering in Adguard fix the issue ?

17. zzZzz

zzZzz Beta Tester

Have not tried on Firefox ...since i dont use it, only chrome and IE
    User filter,Russian,English and Spyware
    Disabling filtering in Adguard fixes the issue.... but working fine today.. weird..

18. Boo Berry

Try disabling one filter at a time (refresh the page everytime you disable a filter) in a process of elimination to see which filter(s) could be causing the issue.