Problems with Fanboy's Annoyance list.

Discussion in 'False Positives' started by streetwolf, Sep 8, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

With this list the left side of this site is missing articles at http://www.howtogeek.com/. All that remains are the separator lines between the articles.

As a test I installed ABP and just FB's Annoyance List and the articles were present. Is this a case of not converting FB's rules over to AG format correctly?

2. mysteriously

mysteriously Beta Tester & Translator

I can confirm this.
    Annoyance filter enabled:
    [​IMG]
    Annoyance filter disabled:
    [​IMG]

3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

A little more info. I installed ABP only using FB's Annoyance list. I disabled AdGuard. The missing articles appeared. This might give credence that filters are not converted correctly from Easylist/Fanboy to AG.

4. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Try this
    Code:
    howtogeek.com#@#.entry

5. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

This works but I still don't understand what in FB's annoyance list is blocking it. I can't find any rule that would do it. Also, as I stated, running ABP with FB's annoyance list did not block it.

I think I need Avatar to chime in on this one.

I posted this same problem to Fanboy. Read his response here: http://is.gd/NhKYNP

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

I think I see what's going on. The Annoyance filter that is blocking is geek.com##.entry. AG assumes that there is an * before and after the site name (correct?). I don't believe ABP does this which is why ABP doesn't block it. geek.com is not howtogeek.com to ABP. I've had this sort of problem before where this difference between AG and ABP blocked something that it shouldn't have. IMO if you accept EasyList rules maybe something should be done about situations like this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@streetwolf, thank you for analysis! Indeed this is Adguard's bug. We'll fix it in the next patch.

7. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Btw... Fanboy's response was that unfortunately he doesn't support EasyList lists for AdGuard. Also, he removed the geek.com filter because he said it is no longer needed so don't expect it to be in the Annoyance list anymore if you expect it to be there.

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think that it's absolutely ok. It is our problem to make Adguard work properly with these filters.