Problems with weather.com on Fx again.

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by streetwolf, Jun 21, 2015.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

To recap. I completely disabled AG. the startup exe, the service and even the driver. Rebooted of course. I had no issues with weather.com. I then installed the add-on uBlock Origin and also had the same problem until I turned off link prefetching which fixed the problem. Unfortunately this doesn't work for AG as I was hoping it would.

This morning I disabled uBlock and rebooted back to AG. The forecasts and times were correct until the approx. 15 minute update time came around and this is what appeared in the screenshot below. The last good forecast for AG was abound 9:45 am on July 4th. I'm surprised Fx is finding a cached page that is so old. There has got to be an answer to this other than allowing ads on the site.

Capture.JPG

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You can disable link prefetching in about:config, look for "network.prefetch-next"

3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Disabling prefetching doesn't work for AG unfortunately.

I've been running without AG all day long and using UBlock Origin just to get rid of ads. I didn't realize how much they can slow down sites. Anyways, weather.com has been up to date all this time. AG has to be the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  4. avatar

Then the problem is not in prefetching. I'll check what gorhill does when this "Disable prefetching" option is on in ublock.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

I am pretty sure it's impossible. This issue is specific to weather.com only.

5. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I might be on to something while running uBlock. I noticed that after I enabled another subscription the site had the wrong times again. I'm wondering if it was this subscription that was causing my problems with uBlock and not prefetching. The subscription is called Peter Lowe’s Ad server list and it is enabled by default‎. It is basically a Hosts file which uBlock converts to filters.

Right now I have this subscription disabled and I'm running with link prefetching. Let's see what happens after awhile.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Things so far are updating fine with prefetching turned on. I'll wait a little longer then turn Peter Lowe's subscription back on and see what happens. If you want to see what's in the subscription here's the link:

chrome://ublock0/content/asset-viewer.html?url=assets/thirdparties/pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Peter Lowe's list is available as a filter subscription in Adguard.

7. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Now I'm really confused. Site updates fine with or without prefetching and with or without Peter Lowe's list. If you want to forget about this problem, since I seem to be the only one with it, so be it. I'm kinda getting tired of it too.

8. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Guys. I decided that I am going to use uBlock Origin over AG. If you figure out this problem shoot me an email and I might return to the fold. Nice working with all of you.

9. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I'm back! I just couldn't give up on AG. Btw... weather.com was fine for the 24 hours or so I had AG uninstalled while using uBlock.

10. avatar

Heh, thanks:)

I'll take a look at ublock code tomorrow after we finally release current beta.

11. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

How's this for weirdness? I did a page refresh and the forecast went from about the right time, although off by 15 minutes, to the screenshot below. Looks like the times are bad, not the forecast. Did another refresh and I got yesterdays forecast.

Capture.JPG

12. avatar

The same issue - you get the wrong cached version.

13. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I actually got rid of my cache files, restarted Fx, and I got a completely wrong forecast. Where in the name of God did the page come from? The only 100% sure way that everything is up to date is if I set my cache to zero. Even using the pref to tell Fx to never go to the cache doesn't work. Ctrl-F5 doesn't work.

I would love to figure this one out. Are you 100% sure that AG isn't keeping some cached pages around and using them. Sure seems like it with all the testing I have done.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Tried something I haven't done. I disabled cached memory. I noticed that my weather.com links were there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  14. avatar

I am 146% sure AG does not do it:)

Cached pages are stored and served from weather.com server.
    According to http requests I see they use complicated caching system with ETags, local storage and such.

The question is why does it returns wrong data when AG filtering is enabled.

We have already narrowed it down to AG ad filtering (as you don't have this problem with $document rule).

Ad filtering consists of the following parts:
    1. CSS injections (disabled by $elemhide modifier)
    2. JS injections (disabled by $jsinject modifier)
    3. URL blocking (disabled by $urlblock modifier)
    4. HTML content filtering (disabled by $content modifier)

So, $document modifier equals to $elemhide,jsinject,content,urlblock.

We can go further now and see which part of ad filtering is the cause.
    For instance, try @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject,content rule to check if the problem is somewhere in 1-2-3.

15. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I'll try the rule and gradually remove parts of it one by one.

Btw... Am I the only one with this problem on weather.com?

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Is the rule you gave me supposed to show ads because I'm not seeing any. Just some social media icons and a blank 'recommended for you box' which can be Tabloola.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

So far so good.

16. Boo Berry

If it's working, then likely one of those three (elemhide,jsinject,content) is the cause. You can try modifying the rule and dropping each one-by-one and retest.

17. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

The rule below appears to fix things except for some unwanted stuff as I show circled in blue in the screenshot below. Also, the time above the forecasts, which I think is the update time, sometimes differs from what IE11 shows. But this begs the question, why doesn't IE11 need this rule? It works fine right out of the box as they say.

@@||weather.com$elemhide

Capture.JPG

18. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Strike the rule. Just got a time from 15 minutes ago. I think this rule might work: @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject

19. Boo Berry

If @@||weather.com$elemhide doesn't work, try just @@||weather.com$jsinject and if that fails try @@||weather.com$content

20. avatar

Btw I have taken a look at ublock's code. This "Disable prefetching" feature changes "network.prefetch-next" value and that's all.