Problems with weather.com on Fx again.

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by streetwolf, Jun 21, 2015.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I tried all combinations of the rule and the only one that works consistently is @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject. This is why when you were on my system and tried @@||weather.com$jsinject it didn't work because $elemhide was also needed.

Do we take this any further? Why does this happen on Fx and not IE11? There has to be something that is causing this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  2. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Now that we know the rule works, can it be narrowed down to a more specific rule so I don't have the social buttons and the empty box?

3. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That is very good question, I don't know yet:)

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Strange thing is that you need both elemhide and jsinject exception.

Let's do one more test:
    1. Disable all filters except user filter
    2. Disable all AG extensions (Assistant and such)
    3. Clean your user filter and add one test rule there:
    Code:
    ##testRule

Thus Adguard will inject empty CSS and JS and we'll see what's going on.
    If the problem is still here - it means we have narrowed it down to the injection code itself.

4. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Did what you said and the problem remains. This site has way too many ads btw. Loads like I was on dial up. :)

5. avatar

Heh, so I guess we have narrowed it down to the "injecting code" presence.
    Ok, that is something.

Let's do one more test please:

1. Disable all filters except user filter
    2. Disable all AG extensions (Assistant and such)
    3. Clean your user filter and add two test rules there:
    Code:
    weather.com##testRule
    weather.com#%#var testRule;
    In this case AG will inject "script" and "style" tags, but it won't use "injection code" i was talking about before.

6. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Still have the problem. I compared the pages to those on IE11 and I notice that on Fx the 'Recommended for You' box is empty while on IE11 it contains pictures with subtitles. This is the way the box behaves with the rule @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject. Is this a case of Fx loading some older cached stuff?

btw... I haven't been clearing my cache, is that OK? Clearing it usually get's things working right again for a very short time.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Cleared my cache for the heck of it and forecasts are up to date and the Recommended for You box is now identical to what shows on IE11. Things will probably start going bad on Fx shortly.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Things started to get out of whack again so I reloaded the pages using Ctrl-F5. At the moment both Fx and IE11 show the same forecasts. Let's see what the future holds.

7. avatar

So you have this problem with these two filtering rules only? No filters, no extensions, no other rules in the user filter?

8. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Things were correct until a few minutes after the site updated at 10:30am. Now Fx is pulling in stuff before 10:30am. Ie11 is still correct. I also notice that both Fx and IE11 aren't displaying some ads. All there is is a blank area with the word advertisement underneath. It is not consistent however.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Things got updated on Fx. When I added the two rules to my user filter I left the AG window open. When I close it that's when Fx updated correctly. IS this just a coincidence or is leaving the window open not a good thing?

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

I guess leaving the AG window open wasn't a good thing. Now I don't have any missing ads in either browser. however there was one time where Fx was 15 minutes behind IE11. A Ctrl-F5 fixed that for now.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Things seem a lot better. I've had to do one or two Ctrl-F5's to get the page to update so that it matches IE11. Usually Ctrl-F5 doesn't work. Let's give it some more time.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Still not right. So what now? Use my original filter and leave it at that? I can live with that.

9. avatar

I am a bit confused, let's make a summary.

So, we have no problem if:

1. @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject
    2. You have no filters at all, but with two test filtering rules

The problem is still present if you have no filters at all but have one test rule (##testRule).

Is it right?

10. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

1. @@||weather.com$elemhide,jsinject works all the time.

2. No filters at all, but with two test filtering rules works some of the time.

3. ##testRule didn't help at all.

11. avatar

Ok, thank you!

Conclusion is that the problem is somewhere in "injection code" we use to add CSS/JS to the page.
    It is used in #3, but it is not used in #1 and #2.

I'll try using another injection code in the next update and we'll see if it help.

12. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Since IE11 works fine dies that imply that Fx reacts differently to your injections?

13. avatar

Not FF, but weather.com script works another way.

14. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Andrey, is 5.10.2051.6368 supposed to fix my problem? If so, it doesn't. While it seems things are a little better I still have old forecasts and different times as compared to IE11. .

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

btw... Its not only old forecasts and times that are the problem. In the hourly forecasts there is a column called Description which has things like sunny, cloudy, clear, etc. With the rule I always have this column. Without the rule it is hit or miss with most of the time being a miss. Same thing with 2051.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  15. avatar

Nope