[*] Protopage.com

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by AnthonyG, Mar 7, 2015.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

Is there anything Adguard can do about this.

Protopage.com. I use it as my homepage since Igoogle has gone.

Basically on the top and bottom of the page there are two ad banners. They are quite large and obstructive.

On googling for help, there are guides using other ad blockers to get rid of the ads. Such as put this bit of code in.

But I want to use Adguard to block the ads. Can you implement the above to adguard please.

It does not work using the block element option as it somehow breaks the page. (and still doesn't fully get rid of the ads).

2. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Can you show them on screenshot?
    I see this:
    [​IMG]

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

This is it

This is the top of the protopage and then underneigth is the bottom of protopage with Adguard running. (the arrows are what I have done to highlight the ads.

Finally is the top of protopage with Adguard turned off which shows the ad is an amazon ad - so it is a case of adguard is blocking a bit of the ad but its not removing the banner for it.

Attached Files:

4. drupl

drupl New Member

I dont get any ads on this page..
    Maybe you must have turned on "useful ads" in settings

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

I definitely do not have useful ads turned on.

The fact of the matter is, even adblock plus and the like does not block it. Hence the above code to manually block it. I just would like a similar code added to Adguards filter list. Or confirmation that it cannot remove this ad so I can install Greasemonkey and remove the ads this way.

6. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

Do you also see these ads when not logged in at the page?

7. Alex302

Where can I see this? The main page is different to this screenshot.

8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

No, when I log out, there are no ads.

The whole setup of Protopage is they want people to pay $30 per year to remove all ads. I appreciate I am being a bit off by wanting to just block the ads and not pay the $30. But I justify it in that all websites are doing similar in displaying their ads and why adblockers were introduced

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

It seems you need to have a (free) protopage account.

9. Alex302

Registered. No ads:
    [​IMG]
    Can you give me remote access by TeamViewer?

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

To test this I just signed up for another Protopage account and no ads were showing.

I have looked at the Protopage TOS. And its after 30 days of owning the account they put the ads up. It seems this is going to be a pain to fix (which is likely what Protopage wanted). And it looks like its not possible to add the above fixing code to Adguard like the other abblockers allow so I will need to use Greasemonkey with adguard.

If I can link to a competitor. Here is the page discussing the issue on Adblockplus's forum

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19523

11. Alex302

I can remove ads if you give me remote access or detail describe how reproduce it.

12. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

Can I bump this topic, to ask, did anyone at the time I raised this possibly sign up to protopage. As if they did, they will definitely be seeing ads on the page now as they only show after a certain time. And thus offer a way to fix it so Adguard blocks them

13. Alex302

Hi
    I need the screenshots of this.

14. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Member

Its in post 3 of the topic.

I was hoping someone signed up at the time of the thread due to people all saying they couldn't see the ads. And now given its been some time they will see the ads.

If nobody has signed up. Can you please sign up and I will come back in August :(.

15. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

AnthonyG why dont you allow Alex to teamview onto your machine?

He could have the ads removed in a few minutes at a guess depending how difficult they are to remove which saves waiting 30 days you an see everything he is doing on the machine and can even stop the instance at anytime. I use this when i do jobs for my family, and i know a few users have done it on here too.