PSA: AdGuard Pro for iOS and Apple's policy regarding system-wide blocking

U

user3

`This was posted on July 20, 2018. I purchased this on October 16, 2018. There is nothing on the app page in iTunes stating there is any issue with AG Pro and it certainly doesn't say anything about not receiving future updates or that Apple could break it at any time. You can call it "rage bashing" all you want, but I paid for something that is in a serious state of limbo with no fair warning. Given they have known about this since back in July, yeah, that bothers me a little.
Hmmmm. I don't think the devs can do anything with AG Pro for iOS right now. Reason being if they push an update, the system-wide blocking local VPN feature has to be removed for it to be approved by Apple. Right now, AG Pro for iOS still works with system-wide blocking so I doubt they want to mess with it at the current time. I believe the plan is to wait and see what happens, then add additional features to the Pro version of AG for iOS to make it worthwhile.

Other apps that use the local VPN got hit too, so it's just a matter of time until they all do.
Exactly why preemptive measures to prolong the lifespan of AdGuard Pro for iOS need to be taken.

And thanks, Boo-Berry, for halting me in replying with my own brand of "helping" that would have likely further fueled the anger. Reddit - bleh. Sure it's ok within certain groups but overall it's an overinflated gossip rag. Why do people suppose it's officially classified as fake news within all respectable hosts & adblock lists?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Exactly why preemptive measures to prolong the lifespan of AdGuard Pro for iOS need to be taken.
Andrey mentioned that it will get updates in his post a couple minutes ago. I guess I'll need to update this topic to reflect the current plan.

And thanks, Boo-Berry, for halting me in replying with my own brand of "helping" that would have likely further fueled the anger.
Be excellent to each other. ;)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Alrighty, updated the first post and title of the topic. Hopefully that and Andrey's reply clears things up. :)

I haven't watched a Bill & Ted movie in like a decade now.

Richard Bance

AdGuard Pro
Do I need to keep the VPN status switched on permanently on my iPad/iPhone when I’m not browsing and does it use up battery power?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It works best if it's always on. Regarding battery usage, not sure, but I haven't seen any reports of AG for iOS causing battery drain.

But, it may not matter, as the local VPN (system-wide ad blocking) feature will be removed from the next update, thanks to Apple's policy.

TitaniumMoon

Hi @subdevil !

First of all, the app WILL receive an update. It takes a lot of time to prepare this update because of the fact that we need to make it good enough to justify removing of the system-wide blocking functionality (which is not advertised or described on the App Store page, and even not enabled by default btw).

Second, regarding the App Store page, we cannot change the description without uploading a new version.

And finally, why asking it here on the forum? We have a subreddit specifically for ranting about AG - /r/Adguard :)

To summarize: it is not dead or abandoned, don't worry.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to here this I can't stand using wedlock and the other network adblockers. Once the update is here, I'll be using disconnect pro + adguard as they're by far the best in class adblockers.

iOS_User

Vasily Bagirov wrote in a blog post concerning AdGuard for iOS
"AdGuard Pro for iOS will stay as it is
Unless something truly magical happens, Apple is not going to loosen its grip on us."

Magic happens all the time and it just did. Apple removed the shackles for content blocking apps:

Guideline 5.4.
Because VPN provides access to sensitive data, VPN apps may not sell, use, or disclose to third parties any data for any purpose, and must commit to this in their privacy policy. Certain types of apps — such as those for parental control, content blocking, and security — from approved providers may use the NEVPNManager API.

(Source)

So, may we hope for a new version of AdGuard Pro?:)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The AG devs are cautiously optimistic. They re-submitted the version of AG Pro for iOS that got rejected, but with any luck they may be able to start pushing updates again.

Stay tuned!

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Never know, according to Apple's updated policy it *should* be allowed now. But we'll have to see within the next few days.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
AG for iOS (the non-Pro) version should be getting a major update at anytime now. It's currently in beta and is under Apple review, last I heard.

AG Pro for iOS, which was discontinued due to changes in Apple's policy, could be revived assuming the update they submitted last week (an update that was previously rejected) is allowed. Stay tuned regarding that one.

Dave009

I just received an update for Pro version and DNS blocking still works. I didn't want to lose that feature.