Question about AdGuard PRO

Syswork

Hello there,

I would like to ask you a question about the Adguard Pro version. I have purchased one 2 days ago. I have checked the entire forum for the answer, but couldn't see any related messages. Sorry if there was one. Anyways. I was just wondering that when I launch the app, it sometimes says "this many filters updated. " My question is that are the filters being updated for both safari and the dns filtering which blocks the ads inside of apps, or just for safari. If it is just for safari, how the dns filtering is being updated?

One more thing I would like to mention about is that I know this app is an illegal one, but Cinemabox app for movies still has some ads in it. Adblock Pro blocks allt the ads in any app I currently have, but Cinemabox. Is there any suggestions what the reason can be?

Thank you very much.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello @Syswork!

Basically, filters only affect Safari filtering. DNS filtering works differently - we establish a local VPN so every time you try to reach some website, it goes to our DNS server first. This server determines if the request is legit or if it is a request to some ad server. In the former case the request is good to proceed wherever it was sent initially, otherwise DNS server 'blocks' it. As you see, this does not involve any filters - only the list of 'good' and 'bad' servers that is not even kept on your device.

If you want to learn more about DNS blocking, visit our website: https://adguard.com/adguard-dns/overview.html
Or read in our blog: https://blog.adguard.com/adguard-dns-beta/

About cinemabox ads: I created a new task about this - https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardDNS/issues/98
Meanwhile, can you please provide a screenshot of the missed ad?

Syswork

Hi, there.

It is strange that today Cinemabox app doesn't show any ads in it. I have connected to my cousin's internet in their house. I mean that the internet I use right now is a different one. Do you think it can be related to my own network why Cinemabox app shows ads? I haven't had a chance to try it with my own network yet. I will see if it is going to show any ads or not. In both cases, I will let you know from this topic.

You gave me a good explanation about dns filtering regarding to my question to you. Thank you for that. I would like to ask another question regarding to the previous one. How do you update your dns filters? Or dns filtering. I don't know how it is called exactly. Sorry.

Syswork

As of now, Cinemabox ads are not shown anymore. I believe Adguard Pro blocks them all right now. I don't know what has been changed. Thank you very much.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As of now, Cinemabox ads are not shown anymore. I believe Adguard Pro blocks them all right now. I don't know what has been changed. Thank you very much.
Sometimes apps cache ads, so it's not enough just to block retrieving new ads, you may need to wait a bit until the prev ad is flushed from the cache.

Syswork

Thank you very much. Your app is really worth to pay. By the way, I have Avast Secureline Vpn on my phone. I have a subscription for it. And your app is working flawless with it. You can add it to Vpn section on github.

aegis

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you very much. Your app is really worth to pay. By the way, I have Avast Secureline Vpn on my phone. I have a subscription for it. And your app is working flawless with it. You can add it to Vpn section on github.
Added, thanks a lot!