Questions about possible features

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by davidm, Jan 7, 2015.

1. davidm

davidm New Member

Any rough estimate on when ipv6 support will be added? I have a recent T-Mobile Samsung phone, so not only does it always use ipv6 when using the cellular network, flashing a custom recovery and rooting will trip Knox(voiding the warranty) and probably prevent OTA updates as well. This is of course my fault entirely, I knew exactly what I was getting, but it does make me wonder how far away support for ipv6 is.

Is it possible/planned improve https support? I was thinking something like adding a certificate to the device so that Adguard can MitM those connections, though I don't know too much about Android security.

Thanks for making such a great app!

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hello!

2-4 months from now. The only one problem with IPv6 support - it's really hard to test all the situations with it.

Exactly what we want to do, but I can't yet give you an ETA on this.

3. davidm

davidm New Member

Well, you certainly have me excited for the future. Thanks again, love this app.

4. fokemon

fokemon New Member

is it possible to autostart the program automatically alone.

everytime I turn on my tablet I have to manually enable the program.

thanks

5. davidm

davidm New Member

Check the box for Adguard Autostart under Settings -> General.
    If you choose to use it as a VPN, you will still have to allow it at startup. It's an Android feature, no way around this without system modification I'm afraid.

6. avatar

They have fixed it in Android 5.0

7. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

Cool! Maybe this will prevent the few ads that make it through on my Verizon LTE phone! Thanks!

8. davidm

davidm New Member

Looks like IPv6 is now supported in beta 1.2.975. I've recommended it to a few friends and they have not thrown me the usual barrage of complaints so far. Love the progress being made, I guess I can finally re-enable IPv6 in my router - exciting stuff.

It still can't mitm HTTPS connections which is super annoying when using browsers and apps like Youtube, but it just means recommending rooting and using browsers with plugin support. Not the end of the world as long as there are other viable options available, though it does lessen the appeal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  9. avatar

We will add HTTPs filtering eventually.

Our road map for next two major updates:
    1. Add usable filtering log feature to allow users add their own rules easily.
    2. Add simple HTTPS filtering. You'll have to manually install root CA in order to enable mitm.

10. davidm

davidm New Member

Thanks for the roadmap, can't wait to test out 1.4 when it finally gets released. Can you provide more information on what you mean by "simple HTTPS filtering"?

11. avatar

By simple I mean:

1. We won't automate root CA installation. You'll need to install it manually.
    2. We will use SSL private key "pinning to hardware" algorithm we were using in desktop AG until the latest version. This is much better than sharing the private key, but anyway it has negative impact on your security.

These two issues will be solved in future version, but in the first release we won't spend time on it.

12. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Does this mean youtube filtering soon :eek:

13. avatar

Not very soon, but yes, this means youtube filtering:)

14. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I dont mind waiting they just annoy me specially the ones that last 30 seconds+ with no skip feature.

15. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Those are the worst, especially when the video itself is shorter than the ad.

16. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Have to agree, can understand why some are moving to other services like vessel which i haven't tested out properly yet.

17. nick_white

nick_white New Member

I am waiting more for this than Youtube ads blocking & co.
    I have literally hundreds of additionally blocked hosts (tracked and blocked using another app) that go through AdGuard's filters and make some sites' browsing impossible (redirects, multiple popups in a row etc.).

But simple host blocking works now even with HTTPS (https://ad.server.com/*), right?

18. avatar

Yep, but it's not enough for Youtube, they load ads from youtube.com domain.