Reducing Total Filter Number When Simplified Filters Feature is Enabled

amt528

When the simplified filter feature is enabled (i.e., cosmetic rules are ignored), shouldn't the total filter number be reduced accordingly?

pegas

Beta Tester
Andrey can you elaborate this function? I have enabled it and would like to know how it works.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is slightly reduced.

The thing is that wide cosmetic rules (which are ignored in this mode) are already compressed into a small set of HUGE rules.

Let me explain how compression works.

Wide rules looks like:
Code:
##CSS_SELECTOR1
##CSS_SELECTOR2
##CSS_SELECTOR9999
First, Adguard transforms these rules into a smaller set:
Code:
##CSS_SELECTOR1, CSS_SELECTOR2, ..., ..., CSS_SELECTOR250
##CSS_SELECTOR251, CSS_SELECTOR252, ..., ..., CSS_SELECTOR500
So instead of ~10-20k of rules we use ~40-80.

pegas

Beta Tester
OK thanks for the explanation. If I correctly understand cosmetic rules actually aren't ignored because they're are already compressed into other rules, so why this feature is an option? It could be included directly under the hood.

amt528

I don't really understand if this feature is working. I enabled it, but when I do some standard google searches--which ordinarily produce a text ad at the top--the ad has been hidden. I'm not complaining necessarily, but it seems like the cosmetic rules are still being enforced.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK thanks for the explanation. If I correctly understand cosmetic rules actually aren't ignored because they're are already compressed into other rules, so why this feature is an option? It could be included directly under the hood.
If simplified mode is enabled, they are ignored.

I was just trying to explain why the filters count is decreased so little.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

I don't really understand if this feature is working. I enabled it, but when I do some standard google searches--which ordinarily produce a text ad at the top--the ad has been hidden. I'm not complaining necessarily, but it seems like the cosmetic rules are still being enforced.
Google ads are hidden by specific cosmetic rules:
Code:
google.ae,google.at,google.be,google.by,google.ca,google.ch,google.cl,google.cn,google.co.id,google.co.in,google.co.jp,google.co.th,google.co.uk,google.co.ve,google.co.za,google.com,google.com.ar,google.com.au,google.com.bd,google.com.br,google.com.co,google.com.eg,google.com.hk,google.com.mx,google.com.my,google.com.ng,google.com.pe,google.com.ph,google.com.pk,google.com.sa,google.com.sg,google.com.tr,google.com.tw,google.com.ua,google.com.vn,google.de,google.dk,google.ee,google.es,google.fr,google.gr,google.hu,google.ie,google.it,google.nl,google.no,google.pl,google.pt,google.ro,google.rs,google.ru,google.se,google.sk,google.tn###tads
google.ae,google.at,google.be,google.by,google.ca,google.ch,google.cl,google.cn,google.co.id,google.co.in,google.co.jp,google.co.th,google.co.uk,google.co.ve,google.co.za,google.com,google.com.ar,google.com.au,google.com.bd,google.com.br,google.com.co,google.com.eg,google.com.hk,google.com.mx,google.com.my,google.com.ng,google.com.pe,google.com.ph,google.com.pk,google.com.sa,google.com.sg,google.com.tr,google.com.tw,google.com.ua,google.com.vn,google.de,google.dk,google.ee,google.es,google.fr,google.gr,google.hu,google.ie,google.it,google.nl,google.no,google.pl,google.pt,google.ro,google.rs,google.ru,google.se,google.sk,google.tn##.ads-ad

amt528

Google ads are hidden by specific cosmetic rules:
Code:
google.ae,google.at,google.be,google.by,google.ca,google.ch,google.cl,google.cn,google.co.id,google.co.in,google.co.jp,google.co.th,google.co.uk,google.co.ve,google.co.za,google.com,google.com.ar,google.com.au,google.com.bd,google.com.br,google.com.co,google.com.eg,google.com.hk,google.com.mx,google.com.my,google.com.ng,google.com.pe,google.com.ph,google.com.pk,google.com.sa,google.com.sg,google.com.tr,google.com.tw,google.com.ua,google.com.vn,google.de,google.dk,google.ee,google.es,google.fr,google.gr,google.hu,google.ie,google.it,google.nl,google.no,google.pl,google.pt,google.ro,google.rs,google.ru,google.se,google.sk,google.tn###tads
google.ae,google.at,google.be,google.by,google.ca,google.ch,google.cl,google.cn,google.co.id,google.co.in,google.co.jp,google.co.th,google.co.uk,google.co.ve,google.co.za,google.com,google.com.ar,google.com.au,google.com.bd,google.com.br,google.com.co,google.com.eg,google.com.hk,google.com.mx,google.com.my,google.com.ng,google.com.pe,google.com.ph,google.com.pk,google.com.sa,google.com.sg,google.com.tr,google.com.tw,google.com.ua,google.com.vn,google.de,google.dk,google.ee,google.es,google.fr,google.gr,google.hu,google.ie,google.it,google.nl,google.no,google.pl,google.pt,google.ro,google.rs,google.ru,google.se,google.sk,google.tn##.ads-ad
Okay, that's my point. Those Google ads are hidden by cosmetic rules. I have the simplified filter feature enabled. That means cosmetic filters should be ignored. But they are apparently being enforced. So I don't understand if the simplified feature is working properly.

In fact, I just tested it with a simple google search. My first search, with Adguard enabled and simplified filters enabled, resulted in no ad shown at the top. Then I reloaded without content blockers, and an ad was shown at the top. So I believe that the cosmetic filters were still being enforced, which means that the simplified filter feature is not working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, that's my point. Those Google ads are hidden by cosmetic rules. I have the simplified filter feature enabled. That means cosmetic filters should be ignored. But they are apparently being enforced. So I don't understand if the simplified feature is working properly.

In fact, I just tested it with a simple google search. My first search, with Adguard enabled and simplified filters enabled, resulted in no ad shown at the top. Then I reloaded without content blockers, and an ad was shown at the top. So I believe that the cosmetic filters were still being enforced, which means that the simplified filter feature is not working.
Only "wide" cosmetic rules are ignored. "Wide" here means that these cosmetic rules are applied to ALL domains. In case of google we have google domains specified in the rule text.