[Resolved]Adguard stopped working with latest ESET Endpoint security

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavaU

Had no problem with Adguard and Eset until Eset was automatically updated (corporate policy) to the latest version 6.9.60.
Now all traffic is blocked in any filtered applications (Vivaldi, Safari, Airmail).
Either Adguard works or Eset. Not together.
MacOS 10.15.5
Adguard 2.4.8 (tried to update to nightly 2.4.9 - no difference)

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, dear @SlavaU

Most likely, after the ESET update, it started booting before AdGuard when the operating system started.
So it takes all the traffic to himself, thereby preventing AdGuard from filtering advertising. This is one of the specifics of antivirus and similar programs on the MAC platform.
If you remove the antivirus, will AdGuard work as expected?

SlavaU

It's definitely ESET<->Adguard problem.
If I disable ESET network filtering, and Adguard is ON - everything works as expected.
If I disable Adguard, and ESET network filtering is ON - everything works as expected.
But when both are ON, all applications filtered by Adguard are getting blocked (timeout, no traffic).
The only question what could be done.
I need to keep ESET (corporate policy) and I'd like to use Adguard.

myMoon

Quality Assurance / Support Commando
Staff member
Administrator
@SlavaU

Try to disable WFP driver usage - AdGuard - Settings - Network - Use WFP driver (check/uncheck) then restart the PC.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The WFP driver is a Windows-only thing, not macOS which is what this issue is on.

In this case I'd have to say it's an obvious antivirus incompatibility with ESET's network filtering (probably a SSL/HTTPS scan type of feature like in the Windows version of ESET).

Unlike Windows where you can just change network drivers from WFP to TDI or vice versa, there's only one network driver on macOS and there's no settings like Filter localhost and use driver redirect mode on macOS. Might be stuck with the incompatibility unless you're able to keep ESET's network filtering off. Antivirus/antimalware (and even network apps like Little Snitch) app incompatibilities on macOS can be a nightmare to deal with sometimes because there's only so much than can be done.

SlavaU

And yes, the solution works. Thanks to tomx420
  1. Add firewall rule for allow inbound connections from localhost (127.0.0.1 or ::1).
    For Eset (Mac) - Add the following Firewall Rule:
    All Application - Inbound - TCP - All Remote Ports - All Local Ports - ::0 (the unspecified ipv6 address)
  2. Allow Adguard to make an outbound connection on all ports to the internet.
    Adguard - Outbound - TCP&UDP - All Remote Ports - All Local Ports - Internet (All internet destination)
I think it should be stated somewhere in Adguard release notes.
Since all ESET users will have similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.