[Resolved] drudgereport.com

Wittier

Just got Adguard Chrome extension, Windows PC, 2 weeks ago.
So far it's worked great and I haven't had to set or filter anything.

Today ads started showing up on Drudge Report.

I tried to right-click, Adguard, Block Ads on this site
It says to click the ad and the pop up had a Block button...but clicking the ad immediately changes the page to the ad page...so I never get to click Block in time.

How do I do this? Please help a newbie.

Wittier

I think I fixed it.

The filters that were turned on were "English Filter" and "Liste FR" under Easylist (I didn't do that)....I just installed this extension recently and didn't adjust any settings.

I just changed filters, adding Spyware Filter and Easylist (the first one).....and turned off Liste FR.

That made the ads disappear from Drudgereport.com

seanl

The website drudgereport.com is using advertisements which are specifically designed to circumvent ad blocking software, so it is not strange that some of adblocker's function does not work.
Other than this possibly being a problem of the 'click to block' function, we should block such ads, so I will add some filters to block them.

Added to English filter:
Code:
drudgereport.com#%#Object.defineProperty(window,'adonisConnType',{get:function(){},set:function(){throw'Adguard: stopped a script execution.'}});
Please, check the result.

Wittier

The website drudgereport.com is using advertisements which are specifically designed to circumvent ad blocking software, so it is not strange that some of adblocker's function does not work.
Other than this possibly being a problem of the 'click to block' function, we should block such ads, so I will add some filters to block them.

Added to English filter:
Code:
drudgereport.com#%#Object.defineProperty(window,'adonisConnType',{get:function(){},set:function(){throw'Adguard: stopped a script execution.'}});
Please, check the result.

Thanks. In my OP I asked how I could have used the "Block Ads On This Website" path. The problem was that it tells me to click the ad to select it and then click block. But clicking the ad just made the browser jump to the ad page before I could click the Block button. Was there a way for me to use that function or will it not work on that site?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Blocking it will trigger an adblock detection screen which is disguised as a browser error on browser extensions.
So it only triggers on Extensions? On my Windows build I didn't get an detection screen. Strangely I can't reproduce those two requests anymore.

Last edited:

seanl

So it only triggers on Extensions?
Yes, browsers are notified in a different way when a request is blocked by a browser extension or by AG for Windows. They script only detects the former.
Strangely I can't reproduce those two requests anymore.
Maybe because the inline script is broken by a JS rule added above?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Maybe because the inline script is broken by a JS rule added above?
That rule was not present in English filter yet when I posted. Also just disabled the rule and strangely the requests still don't show anymore.

nish

Something new is going on, though. In Firefox 54.0b13 with ABP and EasyList:

It loads for a second, and then comes that. It's not an overlay either, as you can view source and still see the original content is present.

seanl

@nish It is an adblock detection screen that I referred as "adblock detection screen which is disguised as a browser error" above.

Wittier

@nish It is an adblock detection screen that I referred as "adblock detection screen which is disguised as a browser error" above.
I haven't encountered any error message or notification like this using Chrome Extension on PC. Adguard is currently blocking all ads on drudgereport with an added User Rule.

moz

Oh THANK YOU! I plugged in the code to my custom filters, and Drudge Report is back to banner ad-free and side column ad-free! I have been pulling my hair out for 2 days, downloaded and installed and uninstalled at least a half dozen ad blockers for chrome. Your code works. You are WONDERFUL, SEAN! Thank you times infinity!

the1darknight

Guys,
This isn't fixed for Firefox users. I'm running Firefox 53.0.3 (64-bit), with
English filter
Spyware Filter
EasyList
all updated today, and the new unwanted/unwelcome ads still show on Drudge's site.

You are correct that the AdGuard changes do block these new insidious ads on Drudge when using Chrome.

Wittier

Guys,
This isn't fixed for Firefox users. I'm running Firefox 53.0.3 (64-bit), with
English filter
Spyware Filter
EasyList
all updated today, and the new unwanted/unwelcome ads still show on Drudge's site.

You are correct that the AdGuard changes do block these new insidious ads on Drudge when using Chrome.
I had to add the rule to AdGuard Extension User Rules for Drudge. That worked right away. Removing the rule brings the ads back. See above.