[Resolved] Outlook right ad placeholder

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Can a rule be added to the filters that will remove the blank ad placeholder on the right side of outlook.com? Of course there are userscripts that'll do this but I'd rather do it with a filter rule. Plus Outlook users will probably appreciate it being removed by default too. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's the blank area on the right in your screenshot - it's right of the scrollbar. If you use the userscript it removes this area for you, but I'm thinking perhaps a filter rule would be better (and *maybe* work for the browser extensions).

Nameless

Beta Tester
Dont know how to add, change or remove css but what you need to do is disable right: 160px;

Code:
class="ContentRight WithRightRail RPOff"

.WithRightRail {
min-width: 428px;
right: 160px;
here is the code from the script boo knows:
Code:
(function() {
var css = "#MainContent { width:100% !important; }\n\n#RightRailContainer { display: none !important; }\n\n.WithRightRail { right: 0px !important; }";
if (typeof GM_addStyle != "undefined") {
	GM_addStyle(css);
} else if (typeof PRO_addStyle != "undefined") {
	PRO_addStyle(css);
} else if (typeof addStyle != "undefined") {
	addStyle(css);
} else {
	var node = document.createElement("style");
	node.type = "text/css";
	node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(css));
	var heads = document.getElementsByTagName("head");
	if (heads.length > 0) {
		heads[0].appendChild(node); 
	} else {
		// no head yet, stick it whereever
		document.documentElement.appendChild(node);
	}
}
})();
Yes i had a play but couldnt get it to work correctly.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Code:
mail.live.com###RightRailContainer
mail.live.com#$#.WithRightRail { min-width: auto!important; right: 0px!important; }

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Okay, those rules seem to be working fine in both Adguard For Windows and the browser extensions so the question becomes should they be added to the default filters? After all it is removing an ad's placement.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, those rules seem to be working fine in both Adguard For Windows and the browser extensions so the question becomes should they be added to the default filters? After all it is removing an ad's placement.
Are you sure it is used for ads only?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Try using just the English filter as a test. I'm thinking some of the issues you're encountering is because you're using too many filter lists.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Looks like Microsoft has broken this with an Outlook update. Avatar, can you come up with an updated solution to the rule?

freshhh

Layout has not been updated but if filter enabled, container is gone but cannot read emails and cannot click to disconnect. Also cannot use the dynamic separator (line).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
All those works fine for me here, hmmm. The issue I was experiencing which caused the issue was fixed.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stopped working today. :-(
And what if you disable your User Filter?
I suspect these rules may disable filtering of this page:
Code:
@@||outlook.com^$jsinject
@@||dub*.mail.live.com$document

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It also could be the extensions freshhh is using too with IE11 causing issues, e.g. Anti-Adblock Killer.