[resolved] Video is blocked at http://bleacherreport.com/

Discussion in 'False Positives' started by streetwolf, Oct 23, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Here's the video http://is.gd/7E16Ar.

The blocking list is Fanboy's Annoyance List. If I use ABP the video is not blocked. I've had other videos blocked on this site by AG which you fixed.

I think the larger problem is that you support EasyList, Fanboy's list etc. yet there are still some incompatibilities that don't make AG behave like ABP when interpreting rules. This needs to be rectified across the board. Perhaps you need to strike a deal with the makers of Easylist et al. to make rules for AG?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Cannot reproduce it with Fanboy's Annoyances enabled.

What are the other filters you use?

What about incompatibilities - it is normal that sometimes we face them. We should just fix all these bugs one by one.
    EasyList devs use ABP+Firefox mostly for filters developing because it's really convenient for this.
    Also I doubt they test all rules in all ABP products and it is also normal.

By the way Fanboy's author @fanboy is here on the forum.

3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

All I had enabled was FB's annoyance list. AG no video, ABP yes video.

I was looking at a thread here about social media blocking where FB states that Twitter shouldn't be blocked. The video in question must have a tie in to Twitter because when I added @@||twitter.com/$document to my user list the video plays fine with AG.

Easylists and FB's list seem to be more complete. Probably because he only has to worry about filters and not the program that uses them like you guys. I think I read here that if I use easylist I shouldn't use your English list. Recently you fixed a problem at msn.com where a large rectangle where ads were was left behind. However easylist didn't have the new filter so I added it to my user list. Perhaps some sort of coordination is needed between AG's filters and the other ones.

4. avatar

Ok, now I see, thank you!

I have also found the cause of this behavior. Install Adguard beta version (http://download.adguard.com/d/2/adguardInstallerBeta.exe) to get the fix.
    The version is the same so you should uninstall current version first.

Agree about Fanboy's but I totally disagree about EasyList. I am sure that our English filter is more complete.

Also soon we'll finally use filter rules stats we've been gathering from browser extensions and remove all unused rules from the English filter.
    It will be more complete and more compact at the same time.

5. fanboy

fanboy Member

While I'm aware you have some funky adguard specific rules (which could be in its own list..), why not merge the rest back upstream to Easylist. Wouldn't it be better to benefit the entire community?

Does adguard have a git or mercurial repo for the lists?

6. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I know adguard have the experimental lists which can be found here: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/ExperimentalFilter but i dont think they upload any of their other lists.

I can kind of understand why they want their own filters as they can say they know everything they add works without issues plus they might hide certain things differently or not at all.
    Im just grateful i can add your lists now as their is alot of things that just plain right annoyed me. =)

7. avatar

Would be great of course. Is there any possibility we can become easylist commiters?

We use private subversion to store filters. Thinking about moving to github.

Btw, talking about entire community benefit, we have one more thing which could be useful for filters developers. Our extensions have "Send statistics for ad filters usage" option. So we collect stats on ad filters usage by the users who have checked this option. Looking at these stats it appears that almost half of EasyList rules are completely useless.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

At the moment we use these stats to make filters for Adguard for Android "compact". But I think it would be great if useless rules will be removed from subscriptions.

8. fanboy

fanboy Member

Unlikely, but the suggestion (like what ublock and Adblock for Chrome developers are doing for filter requests). Is reporting problem websites directly to the Easylist forums so they can be fixed. I'd say given Adguard has there own subset of Adblock Plus rules, we'd fix it to the best of our ability based on the standard rules only. Though essentially Adguard would have 2 subscriptions (Adguard specific rules/non-Adblock plus rules, and Easylist).

Pretty sure it'd be easier for Adguard developers to spend less time trying to maintain an Easylist fork, and speed more time improving Adguard itself.

Sure, if the above didn't happen, having a commit logs similar to Easylist would be helpful.

Sure, I'm aware some rules maybe redundant, or some of the domains are no longer exist. Adblock Plus is also developing a usage stat options to find out which filters aren't being used anymore (Still waiting for this). Of course I'd be open to minimising useless filters in Easylist, can you pastebin the suspect filters to get checked over?

9. avatar

Let's start with something simple. What we can do now:

Part of the rules we add to our filters are first added to the ExperimentalFilter and then merged into the main filters.
    We can do this for all rules and also report these rules to Easylist forums instead of merging to our main filters.
    At least we can do this for English filter rules.

Check these (zero hits last month):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebffetf3f3ow9c8/redundant.txt?dl=0

One important thing:
    We cannot collect stats on elemhide exceptions rules (#@#).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  10. fanboy

fanboy Member

The list is a bit bigger than expected.. may take a while to check over them..

11. fanboy

fanboy Member

12. avatar

Great!

Could you please save active filters somewhere so we can exclude them next time while making redundant filters dump?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014