[Resolved] wired.com - Adblock detection

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by Blaz, Feb 19, 2016.

1. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

screenshot:

Attached Files:

2. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

still having the issue :-/

3. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

adblock detection

cannot view videos (container hidden)

4. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

5. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

because the case is marked solved but it's not !
    so please edit the title to reflect the reality

it's still happening on several computers so this is something wrong on your end

because as soon i turn off AdGuard it works perfectly

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Marked solved or not, it can't (easily) be reproduced. I just tried, and I can't reproduce it either.

The *only* other ways of finding a solution to this is either a) reproducing the issue while logging is enabled and submitting a log or b) remote access with one of the filter developers. The quickest (and best, IMO) resolution is probably the latter.

7. Blaz

Is this on your Android device or your Windows?

8. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

Windows only
    Mobile app it works (no warning and videos containers are visible)

Windows log:

Attached Files:

9. Boo Berry

And you tried reproducing this with the browser cache cleared?

I still can't reproduce it.

10. Blaz

Are those all the requests? Somehow I miss lines like the following in your screenshot which should trigger usually from your activated filter lists:
    ||amazon-adsystem.com^$third-party
    ||expebtu.com^$third-party
    ||imasdk.googleapis.com^$third-party
    ||pinterest.com/v1/urls/count.json$third-party
    ||scorecardresearch.com^$third-party
    /pagead2.

Have you tried to disable your user filter?

Best would be if you would upgrade to current Beta version and export the log and upload it in a zip archive to this thread, so it can be better checked.

11. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

Yes I use CCleaner (nice freeware btw)

12. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

I only listed what was in red (blocked)

13. Blaz

The rules I listed are rules for url blocks which are shown red in latest final version.

14. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

Why don't you release a newer stable version with several fixes (working with more extensions, best filtering,...) ?

15. Boo Berry

I'm afraid software development doesn't always work like that.

6.1 is pretty stable now, but did receive some updates to address certain things (WFP driver fixes, which was glorious) and other small fixes to existing features without adding new features. Stuff like extensions (userscripts) improvements, filtering improvements, etc. I'd consider new features. In general with all software new features are rarely backported to the stable channel whereas development of new features (and new additions to existing features) happens in the alpha (which looks to be fully in-house with the Adguard devs) and beta (which is the public). I will point out that small fixes to get userscripts working have been added in the past. If any userscripts aren't working right now in 6.1 stable but does work in the 6.2 beta the it's likely because the new required functionality has been added to support it. I have doubts another 6.1 build will be released before 6.2 reaches stable, unless some major bug or issue is found in 6.1, which would warrant an update.

6.2 beta has been stable for me thus far, but it isn't feature complete yet nor does it have all the bugs tagged in the 6.2 milestone fixed yet (e.g. there's a Edge TCP Fast Open issue workaround inbound, more improvements and changes to the filtering log, TLSv1.3 support added as an advanced feature, etc.). If you're considering jumping to beta to try to reproduce the issue(s) on Wired, that should be fine. But I'd do a backup of the user filter first, then after getting done testing the site, uninstall and reinstall the latest 6.1 stable version.

I would recommend to any technical users out there that are curious about trying the betas, but don't actually want to use them on the main machine due to the possible bugs, doing something like a Windows 7/8.1/10 virtual machine and using Adguard for Windows betas there to test things does work pretty well.

I don't recommend using CCleaner to clear a browser's cache (it may not always work correctly due to newer browser releases) and it *may* cause other issues. I always advise clearing the browser's cache manually. In addition, I'd recommend removing all cookies for wired.com within the browser as well, then retesting this.

Is it happening in Firefox and IE? I just tried both and watched over 20 recent videos and no issues whatsoever.

freshhh likes this.
  16. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

happening only with IE & Firefox and only if AdGuard is enabled

tried after deleting manually cookies and cache again

more screenshots:

Attached Files:

17. Boo Berry

Link to a video on Wired where it's happening? Still can't reproduce it using the same filters you have enabled according to your signature (I disabled the user filter, which you probably should too when testing this). The only other thing I can think of which could be causing it is one of the userscripts (extensions) you're using. First I'd try disabling Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy, AdsBypasser and Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek (which in my opinion, Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek is a dead userscript/filter now since it hasn't seen an update in over 6 months now. Also Adblock Protector is a fork of Anti Adblock Killer | Reek that's actively developed and does contain code for wired.com with the userscript - it's the successor to Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek so I recommend switching to it). Try clearing the cache and cookies and see if the detection still happens.

If it's one of the userscripts causing it, it'd probably have to be reported to the author (or in the case of Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek it should be uninstalled and replaced with Adblock Protector as Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek and its development is more-or-less dead now).

18. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

videos are finally working again now :)

about the adblock detection it's not awways happening directly
    you must open several pages, scroll down several times and wait few minutes to activate it
    sometimes i think it has been disabled but then it's happening again

19. Boo Berry

Read my post above, I think it might be the userscripts your running causing this, specifically Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek. Like I mentioned, AAK is basically dead now (hasn't seen an update in over 6 months!) with the Adblock Protector userscript/filter list (which are forks of AAK, but actively developed) being the recommendation right now (until, that is, the Adguard Anti-Adblock solution comes to fruition). ;)

I still can't get this detection to pop up, and I've been watching videos and idling on wired.com for nearly 2 hours now.

20. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

I've removed Anti-Adblock Killer Reek put Adblock Protector instead but no luck.
    It has worked briefly but got the detection warning again after a while. Very annoying situation...