Rules not working sometimes?

Semetery

I thought it was working so I deleted my post but it still isn't, I was wrong. I have searched, I'm not seeing anyone with the exact same issue that I could find. I use Chrome but it doesn't work in any browser, it's like the rule doesn't load unless I uncheck and recheck it. What on earth would cause that to happen? Why would a rule that is 100% absolutely there not work unless I disable and re-enable it? I've tried disabling every setting I could think of to see if it's a conflict but can't find anything that works at all.

I tried it as a text file, it didn't work. :(

I feel like AG isn't working properly for me at times though maybe I'm wrong. I went to this site, for example: https://www.cheapshark.com and blocked the entire greenmangaming column using the assistant. It created the rule 'cheapshark.com###2'. Once the page refreshed, the block was still there. I realize it might be due to a faulty rule but I selected it and would expect it to hide it. I've had that happen quite a few times, it doesn't create the proper rule or something? I didn't used to have any problems blocking absolutely anything, I could select anything on a page and it'd block it forever. Now it will sometimes and won't others. I imagine it's due to the way ads are changing?

I love AG, so I don't mean to come across otherwise.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
It seems it has problems in hiding it if the div id begins with a number.
When I block the class name store2, it hides it.

Assistant should give the user an option to hide it via class, so the user can tell the Assistant if he wants to hide it via ID or Class.

Semetery

I used the 'block similar' to get the .store2 and it did work for me as well. Maybe I'll try to get creative with my FB rule and see if I can find a way to get it to stick using the block similar option. Here's to hoping!

I messed around for a while, even added an ablockplus list that was supposed to block it and no go. I'm just at my wits end with it, I suppose I'll just have to accept that I can't block it.

Last edited:

Gass

It seems it has problems in hiding it if the div id begins with a number.
When I block the class name store2, it hides it.

Assistant should give the user an option to hide it via class, so the user can tell the Assistant if he wants to hide it via ID or Class.
@Blaz could you post instructions of exactly what you did/used for Semetery, if a text file copy and paste it here for him to use...:)

Should Semetery go to Adguard's GitHub bug reports page and make a entry there about this?
Gass :D

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
@Gass
He created the mentioned div class hiding rule with another button of Assistant.

@Semetery
Could you please post in Facebook thread in "Missed Ads" forum section which ads you meant, thank you.

Semetery

I hate to bump this but I want to say that I've gotten it working now!

I haven't re-read the thread to see what I've tried in the past, this has been going on a while, but what worked was going through my custom created rules and disabling them all then re-enabling one at a time until the one I wanted to work did. Eventually I figured out that, apparently, I had something conflicting? I didn't know that was possible though I guess it comes down to rule priority? Maybe where one was blocking something with priority, it was in-turn overriding a different rule? That's just a completely baseless thought. Haha.

Regardless, so glad to see it working! Thanks for all the time invested, I should've known to start with the basics.

Semetery

I still have and use the first two of those but I have since deleted the third one. Those are the only two I have personally that aren't included on the standard AG lists.