"Service for filtering network traffic was not started correctly."

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Mac)' started by BeyondtheTech, Dec 31, 2016.

1. BeyondtheTech

BeyondtheTech New Member

Anyone else get this issue?

I updated from 1.4 build 370 to 372, and it came up with this error message. I initially downgraded the software back to 370 from the Trash and it started working again. After emailing the Support Team, I uninstalled the software as per the instructions and installed 372 from scratch. It still didn't work, and now build 370 doesn't even work.

Upon looking further, I installed it on another Mac and it worked properly, but realized that it no longer asks me for an admin password on my Mac as it did with the new Mac, and comparing the two Macs, it's at least missing /Library/Application Support/com.adguard.Adguard. I manually copied the folder over, but it still won't work.

Any way to force install the service so that it all works again on my Mac?

Both machines are macOS 10.12.2.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. zebrum

zebrum Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@BeyondtheTech hello! Need to check one thing.

Could you please run the following command in the terminal and let us know which output it'll show:

osascript -e "do shell script \"cat /etc/passwd\" with administrator privileges"

If the system is ok, you'll see the login/password prompt, if the system is broken, there will be "osascript: can't open default scripting component" message. If that's the case, the solution is to reinstall the whole system from the recovery. But we did some googling and found that it also might help if you shut down the PC, boot it in the recovery mode, shut it down again and boot in the normal mode. You may want to read the FAQ: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262