Setup keeps saying "AdGuard is already Installed"

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by David M, Aug 4, 2016.

1. David M

David M New Member

Hi:

I have a unique and frustrating problem and hope can get some help from here...

I had prior problems between Adguard v6.0 and my home theater Synology NAS at home where it prevented me from logging onto the NAS. When I manually typed in the physical address, I would log on but if I typed in the name (http://media_station:5000), it would just refuse, which frustrated me to no end.

Anyways, I worked with tech support all day long yesterday till they helped me resolve it. They gave me the latest beta v6.1.xxxx to work with no results. It turned out that I had enabled in Stealth Mode the "Hide IP address" option which apparently did its job by preventing my home networks DNS server from resolving the media_station name to a physical IP address.

So like I said, after a long day, the problem was resolved and all was just fine... until I decided to delete the beta version and decided to go back to the production release version 6.0.xxx. I rebooted my laptop just in case.

Well, when O tried to run setup for v6.0, it said "Adguard is already installed" . This baffled me greatly for I had just uninstalled it. I checked my Win10 start folder, task manager, etc and there was no visible trace of Adguard or any of its running processes and services anywhere like I expected. I rebooted again and got the same message.

OK... I decided to redownload the beta to see if it would re-install like it did at first. Nope! Refused by giving me the "Adguard is already installed" message. So tech support sent me a special uninstall program which I run in both "Standard uninstall" mode, rebooted and tried to re-install either the beta or the production version. No dice ...same error as before.

I rebooted and this time I run in "Advanced uninstall" mode. Rebooted and tried to run setup again. No dice!

So now I have a unique situation where I cannot install Adguard standard or beta at all, despite the fact that Adguard has been uninstalled on my laptop by running the standard/advanced uninstalled modes.

What can I do to solve the problem? I have attached log files for standard/advanced uninstallation modes. First log file is for the standard-uninstall mode and the last two for advanced-uninstall modes.

PLEASE HELP!

My laptop configuration is as follows:

MSI Workstation WT72 series, 64-bit (Intel i6700HQ CPU)
    64GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro (x64-bit)
    1TB SSD (Raid-0) for C-drive
    1TB HHD for D-drive

Thanks,
    David

Attached Files:

2. aegis

aegis Administrator Administrator

Hello!

That's weird, I don't see anything wrong in the logs, it looks like you already have Adguard installed in the system. What did you use to delete Adguard beta when you decided to go back to 6.0? Was it some third party uninstaller\cleaner or was that a standard uninstall?
    For now please use this installation method:
    1. Download the file http://static.adguard.com/windows/setup.msi
    2. Drag to the disk C:
    3. Run “cmd” as administrator (this is important ).
    4. Copy the line (without the quotes): "cd /D C:\"
    5. At the command prompt (cmd) then right-click on the black box and select "paste". Press Enter.
    6. Copy the line (without the quotes): "msiexec /i setup.msi /l*vx log.txt"
    7. Again, click the right button on the black box and select "paste". Press Enter.
    8. Installation.
    9. Send us the log that was created in C:\ after the installation, if it didn't work.

3. David M

David M New Member

Thank you Vladimir ...It worked!!!:) I have attached the log file for your reference.

Yes, when I first undeleted Adguard v6.x (before i had received the your custom uninstaller), I used my trusted thrid party uninstall program "IOBit UnInstaller". Then when I received your custom one, that's the one i used from then on to perform the standard uninstall first and if it didn't work, then the advanced uninstall as described in my original email above. So I need to know the following:

What did i do wrong here to being with?

Why did the v6.0 and v6.x setup programs insist that I already had Adguard installed even though it had been deleted by your custom uninstaller and even standard windows 10 unistall programs couldn't see it?

Please in the future, do not prevent a user from re-installing Adguard if they want to. The setup program should say something like:

"Adguard is already installed...do you want to re-install it again? (Yes/ No)" ...maybe with the options of re-installing with former settings intact or defaulted.

OR

"Adguard is already installed...do you want to repair, modify or completely uninstall" as many other windows programs do.

What I'm trying to say is setup should not prevent me from re-installing if I want to. It just makes sense this way, IMHO.

Thanks again for helping me resolve this problem. I have closed the ticket now as the issue is fixed.

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      453.8 KB
      Views:
  4. aegis

David, you are welcome and thanks for the update.
    We do not prevent re-installs, of course. We prevent installing and running two Adguards in the same time, since it can lead to all sorts of issues.
    The problem is in that 3rd party tool. I have no idea what it does with windows registry, but it was unable to uninstall us correctly and completely, so the system thought that Adguard has been already installed. The weird think is that even our custom tool didn't help.
    Adguard has a rather deep system-integration level and uses MSI (Windows installer). It's the general advice, actually: it's usually the best to use the basic uninstall or the custom tools provided by software developers :)

5. David M

David M New Member

So you recommend using the basic windows 10 uninstaller to completely uninstall Adguard (not that I'd want to but in case i'm debugging some problem with my computer)? Why doesn't Adgaurd have this uninstall option as part of its program? I'd hate to keep alist if programs taht I can uninstall via windows and others via my 3rd party tool...

6. aegis

Yes. You can uninstall Adguard via Windows' "Programs and Features" list. This uninstaller is a part of our program.

7. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

What about the uninstall utility you guys made? Does it not work to clear up issues like this?

8. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

Very likely the msiexec product code "3BA6F58616C71D24EAB583464ED80153" key is still there.

9. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yep, it does, no idea why @aegis did not mention it.

10. aegis

@Boo Berry

That's actually it. But, I'm afraid it didn't help in this case. We have to improve it, looks like it's not always able to tidy up after those 3rd party "cleaners" mess.

@avatar David has tried it, but no result.

11. kaitaroMY94

kaitaroMY94 New Member

this worked for me... I have error "adguard already installed" too..but so weird because i dont see any adguard installed on my window..checked C:/, program and features, and use third uninstall party..still not detect it..even i checked on regedit,%temp% ...unfortunately no adguard ..maybe i uninstalled adguard before, are not fully clean...
    I tried used uninstall utility..still not works..but after i use as aegis said using msisetup and cmd...its working to me...thanks aegis for helping
    #sorry for my bad english

aegis likes this.
  12. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

13. David M

David M New Member

I guess I was the one who started this thread a couple months ago:D. For the past week or so, AG was telling me a new update was available. I used the program to download its new 30MB update file fine but afterward got stuck forever in the "updating..." stage. I mean hours and hours kind of forever!:( I rebooted the computer several times (cold and soft boots) to no avail. I attempted to update my program several times but it would not allow it and still got stuck in the "updating..." stage. I then removed AG using windows built in uninstaller and used the MSI file and procedures listed above and all is good now. I'm concerned now that I'll be using this manual process forever, which is not what I want obviously. I have attached my logs for reference to see if you can anything that could explain my issue. Anyways, all is good now ....until the next update!

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      499.1 KB
      Views:
  14. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, it shouldn't be like this indeed. Freezing in updating stage means that Adguard couldn't verify digital signature of the downloaded file.
    This could happen if file was damaged in process of downloading or if, for some reason, digital signature considered invalid.

MSI log attached is OK, though. To troubleshoot we need Adguard's own log from %programdata%\Adguard\Logs

15. David M

David M New Member

OK...logs attached. Thanks!

Attached Files:

16. Confessor

Confessor Administrator Administrator

Hi, David!
    I looked at the logs you provide.
    Seems like the problem occurs after starting the downloaded installer, so could you please provide us more logs? :)
    We need the logs from this downloaded installer, they should be placed in system temporary directory %windir%\temp and they name starts with "Adguard".

I believe that these logs will shed light on this problem.

17. David M

David M New Member

%windir%\temp logs are regularly cleaned by my disk utilities. Its empty...

18. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@David M in this case, just send us those logs the next time the problem occurs again. This is our best chance to identify and solve the problem.