Should AG (for Windows) block ads in an Android Emulator session?

jasonzerozero

I'm running an Android emulator (AMI DuOS) on a Win 10 x64 machine with AG installed.
AG doesn't appear to be blocking any of the ads inside the DuOS session.

I thought that part of what made AG better than the competitors and browser plugins was that it would block ads at the network connection level (not just browser level). I'm getting (plenty of) ads in the android emulator and I'm wondering if AG is actually supposed to be stopping these or not.

Thanks.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You'll likely have to manually add the Android emulator's executable(s) to the filtered apps list.

By default Adguard for Windows only filters the applications present in the list. However, you can manually add application executable files to the list yourself so they're filtered by Adguard for Windows.

Once that's done, the Android emulator *should* be filtered.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@jasonzerozero often emulators have many different executables, and sometimes even a special process for networking. Try to look for it, maybe you need to add something else to Adguard filtered apps.

jasonzerozero

@vasily_bagirov
Thanks. I tried again after adding executables that relate to the emulator (pretty much every .exe in the DuOS directory) but it now blocks all ads AND all the content I'm after.
Interestingly, when running the app in question on my phone (which also has AG pro), it only blocks ads and the proper content is visible and the app works perfectly :)

So.. how do we figure out what to block and/or how to configure the PC version?

Gass

So.. how do we figure out what to block and/or how to configure the PC version?
Wouldn't something like Glasswire help to see the network connections and then block that process either with paid Glasswire and windows firewall working together or free version of GW and some other firewall - none the least use that info in Adguard as well.
https://www.glasswire.com/download/
I don't know just a suggestion... ?
Gass :D

PS: I just though if Adguard is running inside the emulator program as well - can't you use the AG Assistant "block element" to block out ads by adding it to a user filter rule - that info in the user filter can be exported to a txt file and maybe used somehow as well ?

Last edited:

Murderhead

AMIDuOS Adguard Setup:

1. Run AMIDuOS and open the Amazon App Shop or the Google Play Store if you have the gapps package installed.
2. Install any Root File Explorer App
3. Activate Root under Settings / AMIDuOS® Configuration Tool then "ALT+TAB" to the AMIDuOS® Configuration Tool and then go to Advanced and activate the Root Mode there and press on Apply after it "ALT+TAB" back to AMIDuOS and click on the top right on the X to shut down the AMIDuOS VM
4. Go to "%ProgramData%\Adguard\NetworkTemp\SSL\" and copy the "Adguard Personal CA.cer" "(CTRL+C)" cert file and then go to "%UserProfile%\DuOSShare" "(CTRL+V)" and past it there
5. Now open Adguard and add the "%ProgramW6432%\AMI\DuoVM\DuoVMHeadless.exe" executable to the filtered apps list
6. Then run AMIDuOS again and open your File Explorer and get into the Documents folder on your SDCard and click on the "Adguard Personal CA.cer" cert file to install it
7. Drag your Google Play Store if installed to App-Info on the top left and then clear the cache to avoid problems with the changed SSL certificate
8. Enjoy your AMIDuOS Adguard Setup! :)

Proof:

Last edited:

jasonzerozero

@Murderhead Thank you very much for your detailed post. I tried this but unfortunately:
1. It didn't block the ads from the app I'm using (Terrarium TV).
2. Because it installs a certificate, it requires me to use a lockscreen pin/pw/pattern, which I'd prefer not to have to do.

I'm still waiting on a "proper" (simple and straightforward) solution from AG, and hopefully @George gets it working (just like it does for the Android version) :)
Thanks for your help all the same. :)

Murderhead

1. It didn't block the ads from the app I'm using (Terrarium TV).
2. Because it installs a certificate, it requires me to use a lockscreen pin/pw/pattern, which I'd prefer not to have to do.
1. I think the problem is the Adguard Android version uses a slightly different filter list so the best way would the Developer would give us access to this filters on Adguard Windows too.
2. Easy to bypass just follow my tutorial.

AMIDuOS Adguard Setup - Lockscreen Workaround:

1. Run AMIDuOS again
2. Open your File Explorer
3. Inside your File Explorer go to /data/misc/keychain/cacerts-added/ and move your xxxxxxxx.0 (xxxxxxxx is the encrypted name of your fresh imported "Adguard Personal CA.cer" certificate) to /system/etc/security/cacerts/
4. Click on the top right on the X to shut down the AMIDuOS VM
5. Now the AMIDuOS VM will crash and you have to reboot your system.
6. After rebooting your system run AMIDuOS again.
7. Open Settings / Security and Clear credentials (Remove all certificates)
8. Now set your screen lock to none again.
9. Enjoy your AMIDuOS Adguard Setup! :)

Proof:

Last edited:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. I think the problem is the Adguard Android version uses a slightly different filter list so the best way would the Developer would give us access to this filters on Adguard Windows too.
AG for Windows has access to all the same filters. I suppose @jasonzerozero should turn "Mobile ads filter" on.

jasonzerozero

@avatar Thanks. I just tried that. It seemed to work on first glance but after using further I noticed I still receive some ads. Banners seem to have been blocked (occasionally there is a small 'material' toast which appears at the bottom of the screen, advising "No Data CLOSE" - I'm guessing this is the banner being blocked) but (fullscreen) overlays are still loading. AG also seems to block some of the actual content.

Murderhead

@jasonzerozero after @George finished testing (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1353), he determined that it is sufficient to add this process to the list of filtered: duovmheadless.exe
https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/8577547/20311172/d81a1dc0-ab5f-11e6-94ff-ad1a5c9da2da.png

Try it, it should help.
What I've already said ;):

AMIDuOS Adguard Setup:

5. Now open Adguard and add the "%ProgramW6432%\AMI\DuoVM\DuoVMHeadless.exe" executable to the filtered apps list

George

with this setup works fine:
AMIDuOS Adguard Setup:

1. Run AMIDuOS and open the Amazon App Shop or the Google Play Store if you have the gapps package installed.
2. Install any Root File Explorer App
3. Activate Root under Settings / AMIDuOS® Configuration Tool then "ALT+TAB" to the AMIDuOS® Configuration Tool and then go to Advanced and activate the Root Mode there and press on Apply after it "ALT+TAB" back to AMIDuOS and click on the top right on the X to shut down the AMIDuOS VM
4. Go to "%ProgramData%\Adguard\NetworkTemp\SSL\" and copy the "Adguard Personal CA.cer" "(CTRL+C)" cert file and then go to "%UserProfile%\DuOSShare" "(CTRL+V)" and past it there
6. Then run AMIDuOS again and open your File Explorer and get into the Documents folder on your SDCard and click on the "Adguard Personal CA.cer" cert file to install it
7. Drag your Google Play Store if installed to App-Info on the top left and then clear the cache to avoid problems with the changed SSL certificate
8. Enjoy your AMIDuOS Adguard Setup!

But I recommend to enable Mobile Ads Filter for better filtering.

Azzz

I'm using Memu android emulator and what .exe should I add to the filtered app list?
I followed the steps @Murderhead suggested to install the certificate.
I actually added all the .exe files in the memu folder, but no avail. It still shows up ads on the browser and apps.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What about AdGuard's filtering log, do you see requests from the emulator there?

Azzz

What about AdGuard's filtering log, do you see requests from the emulator there?
I can see in the log, it's blocking ads using mobile ads filter. and the process is MEmu.exe. However, ads are not blocked, still show up in the emulator.

Attachments

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can see in the log, it's blocking ads using mobile ads filter. and the process is MEmu.exe. However, ads are not blocked, still show up in the emulator.
Btw, have you tried setting emulator to use AdGuard DNS?

The thing is that Mobile Ads filter expects that it's being used by the Android app. The difference between an Android app and an external Win app is that the former knows what exact Android app makes the request. For Win app all the requests look like an emulator makes them, and it's often not enough.

Also, checking just a single app is not enough to make a conclusion. What do you see when you open a browser inside of the emulator? Are ads at least partly blocked there?