Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Latimes.com not reproduced.

Zattoo requires login.
You can try this rule for Zattoo:
Code:
@@||imasdk.googleapis.com/js/sdkloader/ima3.js^$domain=zattoo.com

Please list your Adguard product and your filters.

Alright, I just figured out that the LA Times anti-adblock thing only happens if the "Spyware" filter is disabled. That's still a bug. Having a functional, ad-free experience should rely on the ad-filters only, not the "Spyware" filter.

Zattoo's accounts are free and easily created, if you want to reproduce. Your filter makes Zattoo usable again but the end-result doesn't notably differ from simply unblocking it entirely, looks like their anti-adblock measures are quite effective.

Not reproduced.
Please disable the Spyware filter and try to reproduce again! That's the problem: a site-breaking anti-adblock measure that requires the Spyware filter to circumvent rather than just the ad-filters.

Zattoo is region locked, so making an account for you won't help. Use a VPN for e.g. Switzerland or Germany.

@Alex302 I've tested this myself and @Blaz rule works. It's enough to play the channels on Zattoo.com
It is, I already confirmed that above. But the end result of Blaz' rule is pretty much exactly the same as simply fully whitelisting the site.
I'm not sure if that can be considered an entirely successful rule. Circumventing an anti-ad-blocking measure by simply allowing the ads shouldn't exactly be the end goal, right?

Edit

Definitely. I've just played a few channels, they started playing and at no point I've seen any ads. Let me know where you see them. The whitelist is for a script that checks if you use an AdBlocker or not. If you check the Log there are a bunch of ads that get blocked.

I read more about the script and it seems to be used for ads during playback. Do ads show after prolonged playback? Please post a screenshot. I only tested the channels for a few seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting the exact same amount of advertisement with the filter rule as I'm getting when simply unblocking the entire domain.

Looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/5yzlkpD.jpg

It happens when first opening the site before even getting to the stream selection, it happens before playing a new stream and in intervals during playback.

I have never seen any ads beyond the pre- and in-playback ones so I'm not sure what else AdGuard would be blocking here.

You don't see any more advertisement for a little bit of time after seeing an ad. So if you enter the site, see an ad, use the filter rule and simply try a few streams afterwards you can possibly assume that the rule is successful ... it isn't.

Edit

Account created @Alex302 - pass: test (Use a German server)
The quickes way to reach http://i.imgur.com/5yzlkpD.jpg is to log out. It plays immediately after.

Okay to kill the log out ad this will do:

Code:
||zattoo.com/zapi/v2/ad/
The ad when you switch channels is still playing. And I've not seen any during playback, I'm hoping it's the same that plays at the start.

I think I've narrowed down their ad server. Try this @Purple Tentacle:

Code:
||merguspart.com^$~third-party

Last edited:

Edit

No worries @Purple Tentacle. I'm trying to replicate when you see the pre-stream ad. I've not had any. Is it when you first log in and hit a live channel? Or does it happen for the On-Demand vids? Or when you switch channels after 30 minutes?

Yep, no more ad upon first login and log-out. But there is an ad, sometimes two, when launching the first stream after login. There are also ads when switching channels later on. There seems to be a cap on ads, though ... so far from every channel switch triggers an ad.

Edit

That shouldn't happen. Can you post a screenshot of the log when the ad plays (when launching the first stream after login)?

Also the channel that you clicked on and the ad if you can please? I want to replicate as best I can on my end.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Don't know if the following rule will help though as I can' test :(
Code:
||filmwords.com/content*/commercial_breaks
Extension's log can be saved via CTRL+S, but don't know for main program :(

Thanks, @Blaz.

That's still not enough, though. I just saw a spinning circle loading icon for about the duration of a short ad and then it went straight to "ad 2 of2" which played fine.

Edit

I can't replicate it on my end. Every channel I click on, no ads show up. In any event, let's try this rule:
Code:
||personenlarg.com^$~third-party

The ads and ad-servers might be region-specific on the site. I'm accessing the Swiss version of Zattoo for maximum content.

... anyways,

Code:
||personenlarg.com^$~third-party
... seems to have done it. No more ads, no more delay when a stream starts so far. As far as I can tell, Zattoo.com is now entirely ad-free for me as well.

Last edited by a moderator: