Slow Internet Speeds With Adguard Enabbled

ram1220

3 days ago I upgraded my Uverse fiber internet from 300/300 to 1000/1000. If Adguard is enabled my speeds are only around 400/300. As soon as I disable Adguard my speeds go back up to 1100/990 (Uverse is over provisioned). I can repeat this behavior over and over again. I am using Windows 10 64 bit version 1909. I also use Eset Nod 32 Antivirus. I have tried turning off WFP Driver but it makes no difference. The only way to get my gigabit speeds is to disable Adguard. Can Adguard support gigabit speeds? If so what do I need to do to get my faster speeds back? For now I have disabled Adguard and am using an ad blocker extension through Firefox that is not Adguard. I have tried several other browsers and my results are the same. Ideas please? I won't install nightlies as they always crash my computer.

ram1220

So no one including Adguard staff know if Adguard supports gigabit speeds? Are there any ideas or do I just have to live with Adguard disabled? I have a lifetime license and it's sad I can not use the product.

ram1220

Ok well I guess since Adguard has my money already I'm not going to get any help. Sorry but I can no longer recommend your product to anyone.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Well, in the past it was an issue with the older network driver, but with the newer one it *should* work better. Are you using the WFP driver? If so, try disabling it in AG's Settings > Network and see if that helps. Otherwise if you're not using the WFP driver (instead using the TDI driver) you might try enabling the WFP driver and see if it helps.

But I have to ask, is it actually slowing down your connection? Are you just basing this on speed tests? If you are basing it on speed tests, try whitelisting the speed test website(s) and see if speeds improve. If so, it could be a filter causing it as this was also a noted issue in the past where whitelisting the speed test 'fixed' it. Other things that could cause this (which is related to the network driver, e.g. WFP or TDI) is an incompatibility with antivirus/antimalware software. In that case you can try going into AG's advanced settings section and try toggling the Use redirect driver mode and/or the Filter localhost options and see if that helps. The Use redirect driver mode option is the one I'd definitely try in this case.

Finally, one of the other potential problems with this kind of issue is, as far as I know, the AG devs don't have access to an internet connection that fast and have been unable to actually test for this issue. Not sure if that's still the case or not, @Chinaski may know otherwise. They may need debug logs (or better yet, access to a connection that fast).

ram1220

Thank you for your reply. I think your last paragraph sums it up. Adguard doesn't have access to a fast connection. I have tried all the suggestions and they do not make a difference. I have white listed the speed test sites and it doesn't make any difference. I know the slow down is caused by Adguard. Because I have disabled every program I have to see if my speeds return. Disabling Adguard was the only way to get my gigabit speeds to return. I guess the only thing I can do at this point is to do what I have already done. Disable Adguard and use another ad blocker with Windows 10. I hate to do that as I like Adguard and have been using it for years. But it's the only things that brings my speed back. Thank again.
For those of you thinking to upgrade to gigabit internet you will have to disable Adguard in order to get your faster speeds. Otherwise you will be limited to about 350-400/350-400 speeds.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@ram1220 quick question -- does it change anything if you disable HTTPS filtering globally in AdGuard?

ram1220

@ram1220 quick question -- does it change anything if you disable HTTPS filtering globally in AdGuard?

No it doesn't. I still get slow speeds with Adguard enabled. I'll try whatever you think I should try. Except nightlies as those always lock up my computer and crash it. I really would like to be able to use Adguard but right now I can't.

tox1c90

Beta Tester
You have to look at your CPU load when doing the speedtest. I also have a Gbit connection and I can fully use it (up to ~950 Mbit/s which is limited by the overhead of Gbit network link), but as you can see in the screenshot I'm almost hitting full CPU utilization when I'm doing a speedtest with Adguard enabled.

speedtest adguard.png

While transmitting ~930 Mbit/s the CPU load increased by ~30% due to Adguard service and ~24% due to the browser process and some ~15% "System" due to the network stack.

What you see here is the utilization of a slightly overclocked Core i7 8700K (6 cores). I have another PC with an i5 3550, and there the CPU load is pinned to 100% when the speedtest starts. I'm also experiencing a severe hit in speed on this machine.
If you are in the CPU limitation, you will of course gain a lot if you save ~30% of CPU cycles by disabling Adguard.

So I would say it's not a bug, it's just the Adguard filter driver consuming ressources which obviously scales (I would assume kind of linearly?) with increasing transmission rates.

Btw., that got MUCH better compared to the past. I remember having ~60% CPU load due to Adguard with just a 500 Mbit/s connection, but that was ~1 year ago I think with some older version of Adguard.

ram1220

I'll try looking at the CPU load. I have an 8 core CPU running at 4.2ghz. So it should be fine. All I know is that using Adguard I have a slow internet connection. If I disable Adguard I get full gigabit speeds. Now I did disable the full Adguard program and have turned it off when I boot Windows 10. I installed the Adguard browser extension for Firefox. I see much better speeds using the extension than I do the Adguard program.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Then let’s do the following:
- AdGuard > Settings > General > Logging Level > Debug;
- Reproduce your issue;
- Note the time the error occurred and let us know;
- Don’t forget to return to the default logging level;
- Logs can be sent to me at PM.

ram1220

- Reproduce your issue;

Ok thanks.

ram1220

- Reproduce your issue;

Do you need the whole .zip file? Or just a certain file within that?

ram1220

I have the logs ready but I have a question. I have personal information on my computer. Banking info and passwords, family photos, etc. Will this information be transmitted to you also? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I don't feel comfortable sending that type of info. Thanks.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
This is quite a standard procedure for identifying issues that have occurred while using the application.
We do not log such data, detailed information can be found in the AdGuard privacy section.

ram1220

I just feel paranoid about sending all my computer info including banking and family pics. I have diabled Adguard and am using something else until the product can be updated for gigabit internet. I appreciate the replies though.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Unfortunately without logs or access to a connection that's fast enough to test this, the AG devs may not be able to reproduce it.

Also debug logs don't contain data on things like local files and stuff like that, it just logs what website is being accessed and how AG is handling it. As long as you don't visit any banking sites or any other personal sites, those shouldn't show up at all in any debug logs.

d0x

If you have adguard dns enabled try shutting it off and by that I mean disable adguards dns feature completely