[-] Social media buttons on theverge.com

marvin

Is there a filter subscription or some way to disable all social media buttons/placeholders from website with Adguard?

I'll try to explain what I mean.
For example:
TheVerge:
Site: http://www.theverge.com/

The page shows social media buttons on top of the screen with my current adguard settings:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 22.21.54.png

They are not visible with uBlock, a screen capture from Chrome with uBlock enabled with default settings:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 22.23.07.png

Setup:
- Mac OS X Maverics 10.9.5
- Safari 9.0.3
- Extensions:
Adguard for Safari broser extension, v. 2.1.5.
Ghostery for Safari w/ all filters enabled

Used filters for Adguard:

General Settings:
Allow acceptable ads: Disabled
Activate the most appropriate filters automatically: Disabled

Ad blocker:
English filter
Spyware filter
Social media filter
Experimental filter
Safari filter
EasyList
EasyPrivacy
Fanboy's Annoyances
Peter Lowe's list
Malware Domains

Browsing security:
Phishing and malware protection: Enabled
Help us in Browsing security filters development: Disabled

Miscellaneous:
Only enabled setting: Use optimized filters.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I'm going to rename and move this topic to the missed ads section.

This rule will take care of them;

Code:
theverge.com##.m-header__social
I'm guessing Alex will visit this topic and take care of it in the social media filter. All you need to do is report these as you find them and they'll be dealt with. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

marvin

I'm going to rename and move this topic to the missed ads section.

This rule will take care of them;

Code:
Thank you Boo Berry for the help and thanks for correcting the question to it's correct place. I was a bit uncertain if my question went to the right topic.

The problem is that the rule did not do it for me? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here?

Here's what I did, I tried two different methods:

1. Create filter with 'Block ads on this website' -function
2. I Added the filter line quoted above to User filter lists in Adguard settings.

First method:
- I created custom filter with social buttons enabled and gave it a global rules:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 22.50.02.png

-> But when I refresh the page, the social media buttons are visible again:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 23.05.15.png

Second method:
- I added the line you gave in User filter lists in Adguard settings:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 23.07.38.png
(before adding the filter, i removed any the previous filters created with dynamic filter picker to avoid any possible conflicts. This means the rule above is the only rule in my custom filters list)

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 23.05.15.png

So generally speaking my problem is not just the specific page but inoperative custom filters in general created by me.

Thank you in advance for any possible additional help.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
View attachment 4339

So generally speaking my problem is not just the specific page but inoperative custom filters in general created by me.

Thank you in advance for any possible additional help.
Interesting, this will need to be investigated.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Okay, I tested this with the rule above with Safari 9.0.3 on OS X 10.11.3 with the Adguard 2.1.5 Safari extension and it seems to be working fine for me.

I'm wondering if this could be caused by the amount of filters activated like the other thread or some type of conflict for Ghostery? I only tested with the English and Safari filters enabled.

marvin

Great! That's nice to hear.

I'll keep an eye to this topic for any new information.

You can also PM me anytime for any additional information or questions. Also, I'm more than happy to help if any additional testing is needed.

marvin

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Okay, I tested this with the rule above with Safari 9.0.3 on OS X 10.11.3 with the Adguard 2.1.5 Safari extension and it seems to be working fine for me.

I'm wondering if this could be caused by the amount of filters activated like the other thread or some type of conflict for Ghostery? I only tested with the English and Safari filters enabled.
Ok, per your suggestion I removed any additional components, but unfortunately it did not work any better.

Here's what I did:
- I disabled Ghostery completely.
- I removed all other filter subscriptions from Adguard, keeping only English and Safari filter subscriptions as you did.
- I restarted Safari browser with reset -command to clear any cache items that might affect in the end results.

The results:
- The page looks worse now ,there's a new banner on top of social media header (that was previously blocked filter subscrptions and/or ghostery):
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.07.51.png

- When I applied the custom rule suggested by you in the beginning,
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.13.42.png

-> the ads were removed.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.14.34.png

but as previously they were visible again when I refreshed the page:
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.15.09.png

Here's the filter set I'm using:
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.19.06.png

And here's the user filters used:

Code:
##.m-header__social
It's very strange we get different results with (almost) same setup.

marvin

This seems to be a problem with Safari browser (well, mine to be precise)

I tried this same thing with Chromium browser and it worked great:
- The social media buttons were reduced (only two buttons were visible) with default filter settings and top ad banner is hidden:
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.43.00.png

When I apply the user filter -> the social media buttons are gone and page remains clean over page refresh!

Here's the default configuration that Chromium gives me as initial configuration after add-on installation:
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 0.45.33.png

Thanks for all the help Boo!

I wonder what is going on with my Safari? Could the new content blocking framework cause any problems between OS versions?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Hmmm, try checking the Use old API instead of "Content Blocking API" setting and disabling the optimized filters and see if it helps?

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
marvin, these buttons are not social widgets, but just links to the blogs. We don't block it.
You can try Fanboy's Social Blocking List.

marvin

I have now tried all the combinations above incl. old api and other filters. For some reason it seems that in my machine in Safari (in Maverics) the Adguard is somehow broken. The filters are ineffective and local blocking rules does does not have effect over restart. This add-on seemed to work on other browsers so perhaps there is something in Safari in this old OS version.

I must try this add-on again if I get the courage to update my OS in the future.

I appreciate all the help you've given in this thread.

Best of luck.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Fanboys filters become very short when you enable "Use optimized filters".

But you can't use non-optimized filters and new API at the same time because of the stupid rules limit (no more than 50k rules in a content blocker).

So, if you want to block everything you have 2 options:
1. Switch to old API and turn off "optimized" filters (don't forget to check filter updates after it).
2. Wait for some time, we will eventually re-calculate filters stats and improve the situation with fanboys filters in optimized mode.