[Solved] Adguard RAM usage

Bushido

Hello,

after booting the laptop, I noticed that the service of Adguard for Windows (AdguardSvc.exe) uses about 60 MB RAM. During the time when I noticed it, I had no web-browser running. When I had noticed 60 MB RAM, then I opened web-browser and the RAM usage dropped to about 12-13 MB RAM.
So, why Adguard for Windows uses 60 MB of RAM, when no traceable software isn't running and the usage decreases when such a software is running. In normal circumstance, the behaviour should be opposite?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Building the filters index takes RAM causing this peak. Then when unused structures are disposed it goes lower.

zIBiT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think so, but that will be the waste of resources. It's quite a labour-intensive task, but not really helpful.

Bushido

If it helps to make computer's overall performance faster and Adguard claims to make browsing faster, so it is helpful in this point. Isn't it?
Having a slogan: "Most lightweight and fast blocking software ever made and will be" catches the eye. ;)

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
60 mb are nothing imho when checking current computer's amount of RAM and CPU power.

Bushido

You may have a powerful computer. But there might be users who have a less powerful computer and about 40 mb drop of consumption is important for them.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is that making it use less RAM will also make it less effective. That's the trade-off, either use a bit more RAM, but do all the things fast, or use no RAM at all and spend more time initializing.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
The problem is that making it use less RAM will also make it less effective. That's the trade-off, either use a bit more RAM, but do all the things fast, or use no RAM at all and spend more time initializing.
In my opinion, I'd rather Adguard use more RAM initially, but I'd rather a more speedy program/service.
RAM is there to be used, not to be made available and just free for no reason.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In my honest opinion, I think what AG for Win is currently doing is probably the right balance.