[Solved] Adguard RAM usage

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Bushido, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Bushido

Bushido Member

Hello,

after booting the laptop, I noticed that the service of Adguard for Windows (AdguardSvc.exe) uses about 60 MB RAM. During the time when I noticed it, I had no web-browser running. When I had noticed 60 MB RAM, then I opened web-browser and the RAM usage dropped to about 12-13 MB RAM.
    So, why Adguard for Windows uses 60 MB of RAM, when no traceable software isn't running and the usage decreases when such a software is running. In normal circumstance, the behaviour should be opposite?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Building the filters index takes RAM causing this peak. Then when unused structures are disposed it goes lower.

Bushido likes this.
  3. Bushido

Bushido Member

Is it possible to program the usage of RAM approximately to 12 MB during building the filters?

4. zIBiT

zIBiT Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think so, but that will be the waste of resources. It's quite a labour-intensive task, but not really helpful.

5. Bushido

Bushido Member

If it helps to make computer's overall performance faster and Adguard claims to make browsing faster, so it is helpful in this point. Isn't it?
    Having a slogan: "Most lightweight and fast blocking software ever made and will be" catches the eye. ;)

6. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

60 mb are nothing imho when checking current computer's amount of RAM and CPU power.

7. Bushido

Bushido Member

You may have a powerful computer. But there might be users who have a less powerful computer and about 40 mb drop of consumption is important for them.

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The problem is that making it use less RAM will also make it less effective. That's the trade-off, either use a bit more RAM, but do all the things fast, or use no RAM at all and spend more time initializing.

9. ag_bug_finder

ag_bug_finder Beta Tester

In my opinion, I'd rather Adguard use more RAM initially, but I'd rather a more speedy program/service.
    RAM is there to be used, not to be made available and just free for no reason.

10. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

In my honest opinion, I think what AG for Win is currently doing is probably the right balance.