Speedtest by Ookla Blocked from Working

Discussion in 'False Positives' started by Lode, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Lode

Lode New Member

My reason for starting this thread and what I wrote below was all based on me not knowing yet that Speedtest by Ookla only works in my Chrome browser after I refresh the Speedtest page once. It has nothing to do with AdGuard I found it in the mean time, as this is so with Browsing Protection disabled as well as with Adguard disabled completely via Exit. Only refreshing that Speedtest page does the trick. :)

Hi!
    By default Ookla Speedtest doesn't work for me unless I disable Browser Security or Exit AdGuard:

Speedtest by Ookla:
    http://www.speedtest.net/nl

To find another way to make it work I was looking for the User Manual here but typing in "Manual", "User Manual" and "Tutorial" in the search bar didn't make it appear. It did show a thread I had posted in before, and found the word "knowledgebase."
    But that still did not show me where it is.

In any case, maybe it would be handy if there were an easier way to have AdGuard make exceptions. Like AddMuncher has with just one click..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

Not reproduced :(

3. Lode

Lode New Member

Thank you for testing it.

Still for me I have to disable Browsing Protection, and then refresh the Speedtest page for it to work. The first image shows what I get with Browser Protection enabled. When I click on the "GA" ("GO") button, nothing happens. The second and third images show what I get with Browser Protection disabled. I have to click on "ACCOORD EN DOORGAAN" ("AGREED AND CONTINUE") so that white panel disappears and then clicking on" GA" starts the test. This happens with my Chrome browser.

PS:
    I did some more testing, and now it works also with Browsing Protection enabled. So maybe I was not hitting my touchpad in the middle area enough. Only that with Browsing Protection enabled that white panel for allowing cookies doesn't appear any more. Which is just as well.
    ("Opnieuw" in the third image is Dutch for "Again" in this case "Test Again,")

Attached Files:

4. Lode

Lode New Member

PPS:
    It turns out that I must refresh that Speedtest page once in Chrome when I have Browsing Protection enabled. After that it works fine.

With my Epic browser I keep getting the first image below even refreshing that page. But when I switch on Epic's proxy and choose UK for example, I get the second and third images below. That is with Browsing Protection enabled.

With IE11 it works fine with Browser Protection enabled without refreshing.

I consider this issue solved for me.

Attached Files:

5. ag_bug_finder

ag_bug_finder Beta Tester

I am also getting the same issue here on http://speedtest.net

6. Lode

Lode New Member

Yes, so it has nothing to do with AdGuard it turned out. And just refreshing the Speedtest page once with Chrome to make the speed test work is no biggie, so no problem really. :cool:

7. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Lode thanks for the update on the topic.

Concerning the 'no manual/tutorial' problem, I'll see if we can add an icon leading to the Knowledgebase to the top/bottom bar. That makes sense, actually.

8. Lode

Lode New Member

Yes, it makes sense. Thank you.

I can hardly believe it, but I just seem to have gotten 321.9 Mbps downloading here: http://testmy.net/

Usually I get no more than around 25 Mbps there at best. On Ookla's Speedtest around 45 Mbps. So I wonder if this was some odd technical quirk... :)

It varies enormously for me there. Yesterday I got only 1.6 Mbps once...
    It also seems as if sometimes it only works well with AdGuard's Browsing Protection disabled in Chrome even after reloading the page. Otherwise the test stops halfway. But sometimes it works well having it enabled, like when I got that for me super high result.

PS:
    I just ran another one, this time I got only 5.4 Mbps... and it included a message that my speed was 75% below the average speed of my ISP.

But usually there are no buffering lags when I watch a movie, so its fine with me. :cool:

PPS:
    I just called my ISP, and they confirmed I have up to 50Mbps from them. So around 45Mbps (Ookla) is fine. (Not bad for €25 a month either.)

Ookla uses servers not far from where I'm doing the test, while TestMy.net uses servers in the US. Which makes a bit difference my ISP told me.

That super high speed must indeed have been a technical error, they said, and I think it must have been because I refreshed the page halfway during the test, because it had gotten stuck, and ran it again, but the second time might have been downloading a much larger file, while supposedly it was still the much smaller one. So if you are again still downloading for example the 15 MB while their servers think it's the new 200 MB no wonder they conclude it's very fast. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Lode

Lode New Member

The though had crossed my mind that I was going off topic. But didn't think it worth a new thread. Especially as it was not AdGuard related. But I found it funny so I posted it. My apologies.

Back on topic: I just tested it again various times, with Browsing Protection enabled and disabled. In between refreshing the page. All this in Chrome.

On the first attached screen shot the visible progress on the bar stopped at 36%. All the data was received as can be seen on my GlassWire firewall monitor. I waited a few minutes after that, but the bar stayed at 36% progress.

The second screen shot shows the results after I disabled Protection and refreshed.

I don't have a problem at all with having to tap twice on my touch pad to disable the Protection to see the results. So no biggie whatsoever. But since this thread is about this topic I mention it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2017