Stealth Mode MacOS and filtering

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Mac)' started by ceadarOk, Jan 31, 2018.

1. ceadarOk

ceadarOk New Member

Hi I just recently installed Adguard in all my browsers and already have the pro version for IOS and was thinking about getting the full MacOS version.

I looked through the help page and noticed that the windows version of Adguard seems to have an incredible privacy feature called "stealth mode" that the Mac version doesn't seem to have. Is that because of a technical limitation or is it still in development? It would be really dope to have it! I've seen nothing else like it!

Also I wanted to know how specifically Adguard is filtering all the ads in the MacOS version. Does it work like the IOS pro version where it creates this fake VPN profile with the DNS server or is it something akin to a proxy like this app privox that I heard about years ago?

--> In the same vein, how does it work with the content blocker in Safari? Does it still use it? If yes will it be able to go over the 50000 filter rule limit?
    --> I also saw that filter lists can be added, and while i appreciate the explanations of each on the help page I was wondering if they are all really necessary or if they just end up duplicating each other. What lists have you found work best together and duplicate the least while giving the best protection?

That's all the questions from my side, I would be stoked if you could answer them because I really want to understand the mac version better before purchasing.

Thanks everyone :)!

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Stealth Mode for Mac is on the to-do list.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForMac/issues/12

AdGuard for Mac is a standalone application that isn't subject (or uses) Safari's content blocker, nor does it have a limit. It can also filter any browser/application if it's added to the filtered applications list.

3. ceadarOk

ceadarOk New Member

Thanks for the speedy reply!
    Awesome! Just that I'm seeing you opened that request in 2015, then it was marked low priority in 2017.. well its 2018 now. It doesn't exactly exude confidence that it will be added at all :oops:

I just bookmarked the github there seems to be a lot of info on it!

Nice! I got the idea because it also has filter lists (at least on the screenshots I saw).

I wanted to know how specifically it works because e.g DNS or Proxy, or is it creating a VPN and uses it to filter out data ? Does it happen locally or will all the data be routed through a remote server. Things like that matter because of privacy and because I want to know if it would work alongside a VPN.

Concerning the what filters do you deem necessary, would you say that the Adguard ones are sufficient? Coming from ublock origin Easylist is all I knew, and I don't know if activating those as well wouldn't be too much or too many duplicates.

Does the mac version also feature the user-script to disable fingerprinting like we can use with the web extension ?

4. Boo Berry

It'll be added. It's likely the AG devs are waiting for the CoreLibs integration first before adding additional features like Stealth Mode.

Actually, AG for Mac works on the network/driver level on macOS. Meaning it doesn't use DNS, proxies or a VPN. It does all the filtering locally - and yes, it'll work alongside a VPN, but it might be worth mentioning which VPN service you plan on using because if I recall correctly there was issues in the past with some VPNs.

Well, the English filter is more-or-less the base AG filter. In addition the English filter is AG filters + EasyList so there's no reason to enable EasyList alongside the English filters. As for necessary filters, that's really a personal choice. Personally? English filter + Spyware filter + Annoyances filter is what I use. Don't like social media buttons? The Social Media filter is likely for you. ;)

AG for Mac doesn't support extensions (userscripts) yet. Another thing on the to-do list (again likely after CoreLibs is integrated finally). For userscripts you'd have to use a userscript extension for each browser (Tampermonkey is what I use and recommend).

5. ceadarOk

ceadarOk New Member

Oh wow @Boo Berry thank you so much!

Okay, I'm glad to know its definitely coming then :)! I guess its just a sit and wait game then :)!

Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find anything baout the mechanism on the help page. It is good to know everything happens locally. I wonder how it will work together with a VPN because the traffic would be routed through the VPN tunnel completely so there shouldn't be a way to filter it though unless I'm missing something? I thought about using it along AirVPN.

Good, let me go ahead and already disable all the easylist filters in my browser extensions and get rid of some overhead then ;)! I take it the Easy Privacy and Fanboy privacy filters are also kind of integrated into the Spyware filter then :)? That would be handy indeed.

Oh well, lets hope the corelibs integration comes sooner than later then :p
    The way I understood from the help page then is that In that case the extensions will stop the adblocking (as the mac app will take over) and will take an assistant function? Do I still need to have the adguard extension then or is the tempermonkey + the mac app enough ?

Thank you Boo Berry, your replies are helpful being measure :)!

6. Boo Berry

It works the same way it works normally - It's filtered at the network/driver level of the OS, so filtering is done before/as webpages load in the browser(s).

Spyware filter is based on a hard fork of EasyPrivacy, but you can use it alongside EasyPrivacy and Fanboy's privacy filters if desired.

Correct, if you're using the Mac AG desktop application then the browser extensions (except Safari, which doesn't support it) will run in integration mode allowing you to replace the AdGuard Assistant. It's a personal preference here, if you want to use the extensions as an Assistant replacement you can or you can use just the Assistant. IMO, the AG Mac app + Tampermonkey extension in browsers is enough... at least for me it is. ;)

7. ceadarOk

ceadarOk New Member

Thank you so much Boo Berry :) !!

All my questions are fully answered :)

I'll get the mac version for sure :)!

8. Boo Berry

Enjoy! If you have any questions or issues, don't hesitate to post again! :)

9. Fats

Fats New Member

Boo answered my Qs too except being a newby do I just download Tampermonkey in all browsers or do I have to restrict it in Safari?
    Thanks in advance!

10. Boo Berry

It's optional if you need to use userscripts, until AG for Mac supports userscripts (extensions).

11. SAlminho

SAlminho New Member

I wonder how it will work together with a VPN because the traffic would be routed through the VPN tunnel completely so there shouldn't be a way to filter it though unless I'm missing something? I thought about using it along AirVPN.
    CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 9:18 PM
  12. Boo Berry

It should work just fine with a VPN, as AG for Mac works on the network level.