[*] still have ads

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by soraxd, Dec 1, 2014.

1. soraxd

soraxd New Member

Hello, I recently discovered adguard yesterday, and my first impressions of it are very positive! I noticed I still have ads in some apps however. I'm on the trial, and have turned on ad blocking in apps. I've also tried playing with settings, switching between high speed and high accuracy, and even checked all of the filter lists.
    I'm thinking maybe I'm seeing ads because of all the different ways they can be implemented over android? if that's the case, it'd be awesome to have a built in 'this app still has ads' built into the app, to submit a report.

I don't use many apps, but the one I'm seeing ads in is PokeType
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dev.poketype

I'm getting both banner ads, and popup full screen ads

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi @soraxd!

You may want to try our beta version.

It has limited support of HTTPS traffic filtering which is very important to blcok ads in apps.

Download link for beta version:
    https://adguard.com/apkb

3. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

I'm on the beta version and I get ads in a couple of apps, but it has made a nice improvement. Here is a photo of show of hands, which still gets ads. It does block them sometimes.

Attached Files:

4. avatar

We'll check it, thank you!

5. avatar

@My2cents

We've checked this app and cannot reproduce the issue.
    Looks like google ads which are blocked by Adguard.

Is there any stable way to reproduce this?

6. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

What filters are turned on?

7. hal2k2

hal2k2 New Member

I just installed the apk earlier today not sure if it was the beta version. After install I shut down and restarted (I accepted the warning re: VPN) and still saw google ads in an app I am used to seeing. Also I accepted the trial for the android app and it appears to be active.
    The app's in question is "Dragon Story Breeding Guide" and a solitaire game (a banner add during game play)

Thanks so much for developing this app! I have the extension on Firefox and it works wonderfully!! I may purchase the windows license even though it is not necessary just to support future development. Keep up the great work.

Hal

Additional information... I discovered the link to beta version ... uninstalled the previous and installed beta (activated trial) and all is well!!! Tested it on the two apps mentioned above and ads were blocked!!!!

I installed "Show of Hands" and no adds!!! Dern I wish I had not purchased "ad free versions of free apps". Hmmm do you think they will give me a refund?

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Hi
    I think I will take a break as I am on a roll with good (no GREAT) news ... I installed PokeType and I see no ad's ... I do see a space at the bottom where a banner ad could go ... but no ad!!

I am going to be sharing this on several android/pc forums ... this is great ... before I do share (a note to admins) please let me know if I may share the beta version.

Will wait for your permission ... besides as I said "taking a break" .....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  8. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

I'm not sure. Sometimes I see a black box, sometimes I don't get ads and other times I do. I also tend to get ads in the Speedtest app. See attached. Ignore my slow speed - lol - that is my house which must be like a bunker! At first I thought I might only see ads when I was on Verizon LTE, but it appears when I am connected to my wifi network also.

I've also attached my settings. One thing that I noticed, which is confusing to me, is that in the General settings there is "Show useful Ads." I uncheck that but then it also unchecks the "Filter for useful ads" in the Ad Blocker settings, which seems to be opposite of what I would want and counter to the general setting. This makes me wonder if I want the filter checked or not? It's not totally clear. Does the filter mean that it will prevent it? Or does the filter mean that it will let them through?

Attached Files:

9. hal2k2

hal2k2 New Member

@My2cents

Hello

I just tested the same app loaded it three times and no ads are shown.

My settings are the same as yours other than I have it update via wifi only.

TC

Hal

10. Alex302

Hi
    "Show useful Ads." = "Filter for useful ads". "Filter for useful ads" - is a collection of exceptions.
    What mode are you using - VPN or HTTP proxy?
    Can you make a screenshot of Extended page of Adguard?

11. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

Ok, thanks. So are the other filters exceptions too? I'm using vpn. See attached. Screenshot_2014-12-28-22-35-29.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  12. Alex302

No. Only "Show useful Ads." and "Filter for useful ads" are exceptions. This two item are equal(this options turns on one filter with exceptions), just you can turn it in different places of program.
    If you see banners in programs, please try to change filtering method. And recommended to clear cache(in apps settings of Android) of programs with ads, like on this picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  13. avatar

@My2cents

Maybe the problem is caused by the fact that our app does not yet filter IPv6.
    Could you please try switching to Wi-Fi or 3G and check these apps?

14. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

@avatar

I still get ads on WIFI also. I really only see ads in two apps - Show of Hands and Speedtest. I've tried entering several user filters to prevent google ads, because that is what I think they are mostly. For example, adservices.google.com seems to be a popular one for blocking google ads, but they still come through. I'm just trying stuff. I have no idea how to program. So, maybe I am missing something? I've tried about every setting that is available.

Does someone have a list of ad hosts that I might try putting in the "User Filter?"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  15. avatar

I am pretty sure that Mobile filter is enough to block speedtest ads.

Maybe I can say more if I look at your log file.

Please do the following:
    1. Close speedtest app and Adguard (disable protection)
    2. Go to Adguard's advanced settings and switch "Logging level" to "Record HTTP requests"
    3. Open speedtest app, wait until ads appear
    4. Close speedtest app again
    5. Go to Adguard and send us a message from the app with "Send detailed system info" option checked
    6. Post here ticket ID you'll get to your email.

16. My2cents

My2cents Beta Tester

Hi @avatar,

I've since updated to beta 1.1.811 and I don't see ads anymore!! I was on 1.1.805 when I was seeing the ads. If you would like, I could go back to 1.1.805 and take the log. Would you like me too?

17. avatar

Oh, now I see. We had a major bug in 805, some random connections weren't filtered because of it.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Thought you were on 808, that bug was fixed in this version.