Support for Amazon Fire HD 10 (without special offers)?

Pentlands

Beta Tester
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but i couldn't one that might be more suitable.

I have an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet (without special offers) that appears at first glance to be working but i don't see the VPN icon next to the AdGuard icon in the notification bar which leads me to suspect that AdGuard isn't actually working correctly.

My first question is, is AdGuard actually supported on Fire HD tablets?

And secondly, if it is what am i doing wrong because i've removed and re-installed AdGuard several times but no matter what i do i cannot get the VPN icon to show?

All that is moot of course if Amazon Fire tablets are not supported, i can't find a definitve answer on the AG website that says they are or are not.

If, assuming Fire devices are not supported, would enabling the AdGuard DNS on my Fire tablet be the next best option?

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@Pentlands
Hello there!

The first time you enable AdGuard protection, when you are prompted to create a local VPN connection, did you get an error?
As far as I know, the Amazon Fire tablet doesn't trust user certificates, so advertisements can slip through the defense. Therefore, it is desirable to have root permissions and move the security certificate to the system.

Pentlands

Beta Tester
@Pentlands
Hello there!

The first time you enable AdGuard protection, when you are prompted to create a local VPN connection, did you get an error?
As far as I know, the Amazon Fire tablet doesn't trust user certificates, so advertisements can slip through the defense. Therefore, it is desirable to have root permissions and move the security certificate to the system.
There are no errors at all during setup, when asked to create a local VPN i agree, but the VPN icon never displays.

Fyi, i rarely use the tablet for anything other than streaming videos from Netflix & Amazon etc so if the odd advert does slip through it's no big deal and certainly not worth the effort of rooting the tablet... that, and i think if memory serves me right i have at least one app on the tablet (Sky Go) that will not work (i.e. Blocked by the developer from working) on rooted devices.

Just in case you're wondering what is "Sky Go"?
cf. https://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/

Pentlands

Beta Tester
Just a quick follow-up to agree that there is indeed an issue with user certificates, i'm seeing them flagged by more and more apps as time passes.... not all at once and not on a regular basis (until one has been flagged at least once then the flood gates open for recurring certificate messages) which suggests that something is changing within the apps as they are updated by the app developers.

Off the top of my head within the last week i've seen for the first time certificate issues flagged for BBC iPlayer and Android.

Not being proficient enough to understand why i'm getting these messages, nor indeed what the consequences of excluding them might be, i've stopped making any changes until i can get to the bottom of why the VPN icon is not being displayed.

At this rate i could end up excluding all apps until no apps are filtered, at which point what would be the point of AdGuard?

Pentlands

Beta Tester
Feels like i talk a lot to myself on these forums without reply, fwiw after my last post most if not all the user certificate issues stopped.

Not sure if that was because of filter updates, or what?

The VPN icon is still not displayed but according to the filtering stats, data etc is still being filtered and blocked etc.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
This is most likely a feature of HD Amazon Fire firmware. Looks like the VPN key notification is simply not displayed.
Regarding certificates, maybe you just excluded the specified sites from HTTPS filtering?

Pentlands

Beta Tester
Pretty sure i didn't exclude all the sites/apps but when i get a chance i'll reset (or re-install) AdGuard and see what happens with the certificates after that.