Sync user filter between multiple devices

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by tox1c90, Dec 22, 2017.

1. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

Hi!

I would like to keep my user filter database in sync between two PCs and Android. I know that Adguard doesn't provide any sync feature for that purpose by itself, but can it be done via Onedrive/Dropbox?
    Something like moving the user filter database to a Onedrive folder on each PC and sync it that way?

2. gustms

gustms Member

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Yep, a Sync feature is indeed in the works.

Right now for Windows, Mac and Android I upload my user filter to Dropbox (and get the true direct Dropbox link) and import that as an additional filter (import via URL for Android to the user filter).

4. Periphery

Periphery New Member

5. Boo Berry

This would be the "true direct link" in your case...

Code:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fobeqhxy0atfjb6/adguard_user_filter%20test%20DROPBOX.txt
    I wouldn't recommend having spaces in the filename. Just using adguard_user_filter.txt works fine in my case.

vasily_bagirov and Periphery like this.
  6. Periphery

Periphery New Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. Periphery

Periphery New Member

Boo Berry, your semi-synchronization trick is great. Currently, when you create a new rule, it is of course stored in the user filter. To send this new rule to the dropbox cloud, you must first perform a step manually :
    • Edit the user file
    • Cut the new rule(s)
    • Paste it into the additional list synchronized to dropbox.
    • Copy the entire dropbox synchronization list
    • Save it to a. txt file
    • Send it by overwriting the previous version in the cloud
    Could it be made partly automatic? Once a day, the user filter should be able to unload completely into the additional Dropbox synchronized filter (a sort of batch). Did you manage to implement such a feat?

I hope to be quite clear. Forgive my poor English.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Boo Berry

Not sure if it could be automated (likely could), I do the steps manually. Once I make a change, I export the updated user filter, go to dropbox.com and upload (and override) the existing filter. Then sync with my devices. In my case though, I add some header stuff so it's treated as a real filter list, e.g. I add to the top...

Code:
    ! Title: Boo Berry's Adblocking List
    ! Author: Boo Berry
    ! Version: 1.0.0.113
    ! TimeUpdated: 2018-03-13
    ! Expires: 2 days
    And I change the Version and TimeUpdated fields when I make changes. Works out pretty good if you go this route, make sure you change Title and Author to whatever you want. :)

Periphery likes this.
  9. Periphery

Periphery New Member

Very interesting these items in the header.
    Perhaps one last additional comment: I don't know if the title added in the header [Periphery's Adblocking List] is supposed to replace the horrible Dropbox link that acts as a title in the filter list. For me the explicit title remains confined in the header.

EDIT :
    What do you mean by real filter ? Don't you have a link that describes the syntax of the header of an additional filter in Adguard? I didn't find anything in the FAQ...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. Lorne Wolf MacKenzie

Lorne Wolf MacKenzie New Member

Try using Notepad or other basic writing app after cut & pasted all the intended rule's you want to sync via your Cloud service EXACTLY AS WANT IT. THEN "save-as" to your desired location. When you are on the other device, open the file & copy from there into your newer List.
    Built a small Whitelist for a few family member's this way to help them get started. Was easiest way to ensure that even the Elders didn't botch it up. Best part was the file stay's ready to be added upon or transfered again

Periphery likes this.
  11. Periphery

Periphery New Member

I don't know why it wasn't working a week ago. I tested again and the title now appears correctly. :)

Force dropbox mobile version :
    To complement the synchronization procedure via dropbox, I tried to modify the text file online directly from dropbox to avoid the upload and download procedure.
    it is theoretically possible to do this from the smartphone dropbox application. This feature is not implemented for a browser installed on a laptop/desktop.
    Well, that's too bad. The workaround I tried is to cheat by forcing the use of a url for a mobile version of dropbox. Unfortunately, changing https://www.dropbox.com into https://www.m.dropbox.com does not work

If anyone has an idea...

12. Lorne Wolf MacKenzie

Lorne Wolf MacKenzie New Member

Any attempts to just copy & paste it from a notepad work?