Testing DNS AdGuard iOS

Wybrem

Hello,

While I was testing it on 4 of my iOS devices I noticed that it works (kinda) on ios11 but not on ios10, for some reason. Anyway the Youtube ads are really hardcore as some of them still get through :<. Anyone knows how to block all ads in youtube app.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Blocking ads in the YouTube app on iOS is not possible. Same for the Facebook, Instagram and Twitter apps.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In a web browser like Safari? Not sure if the Safari content blocker will block them or not (I don't own iOS devices right now so I can test this). But yeah even with the DNS it's not possible to block them in the YouTube app.

Wybrem

In a web browser like Safari? Not sure if the Safari content blocker will block them or not (I don't own iOS devices right now so I can test this). But yeah even with the DNS it's not possible to block them in the YouTube app.
Does anyone know why, don’t we know the ad servers, are the security measures to be cracked? This is really why I don’t own any Google product besides youtube/gmail, I am absolutely disgusted by a Googe’s ads business. Even gmail is slowely being replaced by icloud mail. Than only Youtube is left.

Anyway the dns seems to block Facebook ads, so what makes Youtube different.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone know why, don’t we know the ad servers, are the security measures to be cracked?
It is possible to block the YT ad servers and such, the problem with these apps is that the same servers are used to load other, useful stuff. With the rough approach of DNS blocking, we can't really do much there.

hexonxonx

Blocking ads in the YouTube app on iOS is not possible. Same for the Facebook, Instagram and Twitter apps.
You can block ads in YouTube and Instagram by side loading a copy of Instagram++ and YouTube++. Instagram++ allows you to block sponsored posts in it's settings as well as many other things.

Facebook embeds their sponsored posts into the same code that displays status updates so if you try and hide the ads, you hide your friends posts too.

Using Adguard Pro on my Mac, I've been able to hide a majority of the ads in safari by using the hide element function. The entire right column in Facebook on my Mac no longer exists.