Thinking about switching from AdMuncher

Discussion in 'Discussion (Adguard for Windows)' started by Nick, May 13, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Member

Hi..

I've read some great things about Adguard on various forums and I'm currently thinking about making the switch from AdMuncher.

It pains me to contemplate making the switch as AdMuncher has been and still is a very powerful tool for blocking ads. The one major drawback for me is its inability to filter https. So many websites are forcing https by default which is a good thing in general but not a good thing for AM users as all the ads are an eye sore as well as a huge annoyance.

I have quite a few custom filters and replace text filters in AM and was wondering if it's possible to import these into Adguard please?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

2. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Hi Nick you will find quite a few admuncher people on the forums myself included as you have said https is one of its major flaws and something that the devs dont seem to want to implement anytime soon in fact they would prefer to lie and deceived their customers about an update coming soon and that you just need to be patient! *two years pass* and yes you still have nothing other than more lies and deception of them working hard and its just around the corner in fact two months ago they said a video was coming soon, then what comes? A twitter update about how research has gone into preventing toast sweat... ooook.

As for your admuncher filters, back them up and if they EVER release v5 maye they will become useful again, but i wouldnt get my hopes up as admuncher is just vaporware no matter what jeff says as they are unable to provide an estimate of when the update is coming never mind the actual update! (serisouly ask when v5 is coming and wait for th response "soon" and "be patient")

Adguard works off the adblock codes you can find examples below, you can also inject JS but, ive not looked into that. I can say i find adguard easier to use, specially when it comes to writing my own filters admuncher was just a pain in the ass for me.

Anway examples of codes are below.

http://blog.adguard.com/en/instructions/how-to-create-your-own-ad-filters.html

i mostly use this one though: https://adblockplus.org/en/filter-cheatsheet

3. Nick

Nick Member

Thanks for the reply Nameless.

Whilst I appreciate and understand many other people's frustration with AdMuncher, I was hoping that this thread didn't get dragged into a venting exercise against them. As I mentioned in my first post, I've always enjoyed using AM and the support has always been first rate. If there have been any pages which I've been unable to create a filter for, Jeff would sort it very quickly. It's just the lack of https filtering which is incredibly frustrating.

Thanks for the links for the filters, I'm sure they will come in handy :)

4. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Dont get me wrong AM was good back int he day but times have changed and AM simply has not, in fact you will see jeff on some sites still saying AM is better than all the other competitors including this one.

As for support while i agree they are fast at responding to questions i can not agree its first rate. Sure you can go there and say your having issues with site whatever.com and jeff will respond and tell you its fixed for next update, we can not filter this site or the site is set up wrong (yes that is an actual response) but as soon as you have an issue with the program or a question regarding the next update then your not going to get a satisfactory response imo.

And yes i do agree https is its kryptonite.

All i will say is, try out AdGuard for yourself there is a free 30day trial and see what you think there are many AM users already doing this and if you have anymore questions feel free to pop back and someone in the community will respond something that AM does not have. As for filtration rules as you will of see they are pretty simple.

5. IrishBelle35180

IrishBelle35180 New Member

Nick, it appears you and I are in the same boat. I have been using AdMuncher for several years and it is not as effective as it once was, the updates are timing out and the program itself is dated. Customer service was prompt in answering my emails but I got the same answers and no firm date on updated the program. I downloaded the trial of AdGuard today and so far, I am loving it. It seems to work a lot better, updates easier and filters more than AdMuncher. I'm sure I'll be purchasing the full license for AdGuard shortly. I'm so glad I stumbled across this program and to find I am not alone as a soon to be former AdMuncher user. It was a great program but it is just past it's prime. AdGuard seems like a much better program.

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Greetings everyone and welcome!

You might consider starting a new topic in the Custom Filters section of the forums and post the list of your filters there. :)

7. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Nick,

Looks like Jeff gave you an answer on the AM Forums LOL (http://forum.admuncher.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29450), he might get an HTTPS: version out in 6 months BUT no promises! After years of promises how ridiculous is that statement. Hope you and Irishbelle35180 don't believe that nonsense over there and move here.

8. Boo Berry

Even if they do get a release out in 6 months that supports HTTPS, I'm afraid the damage may have already been done to them and their reputation.

9. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

In six months time get ready for... "its coming, soon. You just need to be patent" because that is what will happen they said a beta was coming in 2012 was it? (id have to search their forum for that) and even a video 2-3 months ago now they are admitting they dont have anything to show in this video they said was coming??? Seems i was right about that when said it

10. oldguy69

oldguy69 New Member

Nick...

I just switched from AdMuncher myself, that after being a paid AdMuncher user for years.

In my case I got tired of waiting for AdMuncher to support https and IE 11. I heard about Adguard, gave it a try, and thus far it's been working flawlessly.

If the next week or so with Adguard proves to be as good as the first day has been, I'll be buying a subscription I'll be a happy camper.

--oldguy69

11. kaori7568

kaori7568 New Member

Just moved to AdGuard from AM few months ago. I'm satisfied so far except 2 point.

Custom filters works fine after reading documentation. But I need the replace text filters. Email to tech support and they just told me to see the extension part. No help solving the problem.

Another point is the extreme high RAM usage. It used over 100MB, while AM used less than 20MB.

12. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We've reduced RAM usage in 5.10. You can try beta-version (it's rather stable): http://download.adguard.com/d/2/adguardInstaller.exe.

Now about replacing text. Could you please show me an example where you need it. I'll try to show how to create the rule doing the same thing with Adguard.

13. IrishBelle35180

IrishBelle35180 New Member

Happy!

After using AdGuard for a few days I happily purchased a endless license. This program is so much better than AdMuncher it is unreal. Like night and day. I don't believe that AdMuncher nonsense any longer and hey, I'm a very loyal customer once I find a product that works, is easy to use and just does it job. AdGuard is the real deal! I only wish I had found this product earlier and didn't waste so much time fighting with a program that didn't work half as well. Love This Program!

14. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

15. Xerek

Xerek New Member

I too switched from a lifetime license of AM to a lifetime license of AdGuard and I never looked back.. AdGuard does what Murray and Jeff have promised for years out of the box and it does it well.. Plus you do get updates which is also a pain when using AM. Saying server is under heavy load is fine but then you should upgrade...

-X

16. Squuiid

Squuiid New Member

Seems like they're close. Also seems like Murray might be leaving the project perhaps? Either that or they're cancelling 5 altogether? All speculation as the site is passworded.

http://www.murrayhurps.com/blog/ad-muncher-announcement.html

Ad Muncher Part 3 of 3: Announcement
    2 weeks ago
    An important announcement about Ad Muncher, and the hardest thing I have ever written.

Ad Muncher Part 2 of 3: Version 5
    2 weeks ago
    Six years in development, here I give the first tour of Ad Muncher Version 5.

17. Boo Berry

Huh, interesting.

18. NSG001

NSG001 New Member

I do not understand why folks still give so much attention to AM now :rolleyes:
    Geting like a stuck record!
    Think it's time to let bygones be bygones and everyone move on.

19. ro4drunn3r

ro4drunn3r New Member

Right, i really don't care about AM anymore. It's dead and gone. So move on. :cool:

20. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I just like to see what bs they are telling their customers which i do not believe is right nor fair, some people might of brought a license because they heard an update is coming others might of renewed just because of this "mysterious" update that may never appear and is looking like its not going to. If people are not warned about a product then how do they know to stay away from it or the devs for that matter? (murray got bored it seems, jeff constantly lies imo)

Personally id prefer people to get a working product thats updated over one that only works on some sites and may or may not get an update.