Thinking about switching from AdMuncher

Nick

Thanks for all the replies and comments everyone.

I'm currently using a trial version of Adguard and so far, so good. Browsing speed seems unaffected and more importantly, no more ads on https!

Early days yet but if things continue as they are and as many of you existing users have commented, then I will be happy to purchase a license.

WebRat

Beta Tester
I dumped 2 Admuncher licenses for 2 Adguard licenses, am very happy with my decision. Once you use Adguard you will not want to return to Admuncher...

Nick

Hmm having a bit of trouble with a couple of custom filters and would appreciate a little help please. In AM, I had a couple of filters that blocked the posts of a user on a forum. The user is a mod so cannot be blocked in the normal forum options so I had to resort to this method in order to avoid having to read their posts.

Anyway, in AM I had the following filters set:
Remove tables with text - add to xxx's reputation
Remove tables with text - originally posted by <strong>xxx</strong>

I've tried a few filters based on the blog guide but can't seem to filter them.

Any suggestions please?

Nameless

Beta Tester
Thats abit over my head at the moment, i think the best way to do this might be to inject javascript but im not sure! Im guessing there is not a block feature on the forums? Ive had that before and had to use AM to block them (was an idiotic mod).

The best i could do was make all your posts vanish from the page which i know is that you wanted but, it also removes any posts you made on the main forum so you would never see this post for example. Its also leaving the title bar and reply bar (Post times and reply, reply with quote etc.) Other than that it worked to my surprise! lol

I'll post screens 2 secs.

As you can see now your topic is gone too :/

Last edited by a moderator:

ProTruckDriver

Beta Tester
Once you use Adguard you will not want to return to Admuncher...
I've been running AG all day today and I'm not returning to Ad Muncher. AG looks very organized and their software runs excellent. At Ad Muncher, well it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and you never get a straight answer to your question.

Nick

Thats abit over my head at the moment, i think the best way to do this might be to inject javascript but im not sure! Im guessing there is not a block feature on the forums? Ive had that before and had to use AM to block them (was an idiotic mod).

The best i could do was make all your posts vanish from the page which i know is that you wanted but, it also removes any posts you made on the main forum so you would never see this post for example. Its also leaving the title bar and reply bar (Post times and reply, reply with quote etc.) Other than that it worked to my surprise! lol

I'll post screens 2 secs.

As you can see now your topic is gone too :/
What filters did you use for that please Nameless?

Nameless

Beta Tester
Like i said, there is probably a better way to do this i was just playing around at 2am not looked at it since as ive been playing with tasker on my mobile (writing scripts to automate actions) but here is the code i used and i dont think its the correct way to do things either but, as you can see it works but is aggressive. Maybe someone else knows of a better way? I did try the parent-elements thingie but that failed everytime for me, i think JS is the best way to do it but i dont know it.

$$div[tag-content="member.php?3597-Nick"]

Nick

Like i said, there is probably a better way to do this i was just playing around at 2am not looked at it since as ive been playing with tasker on my mobile (writing scripts to automate actions) but here is the code i used and i dont think its the correct way to do things either but, as you can see it works but is aggressive. Maybe someone else knows of a better way? I did try the parent-elements thingie but that failed everytime for me, i think JS is the best way to do it but i dont know it.

Thanks very much Nameless. It will just enable me to get to grips with creating filters. It just seemed a lot easier with AM but I'm sure things will improve as I get used to it.

Nameless

Beta Tester
No problem its probably not the best way like i said as adguard is more for blocking ads not people on forums though im sure it could be done better with soem know how maybe avatar can help more, just dotn forget to add the site address to the beginning.

so whatever.com$$div[tag-content="member.php?3597-Nick"]

WebRat

Beta Tester
In six months time get ready for... "its coming, soon. You just need to be patent" because that is what will happen they said a beta was coming in 2012 was it? (id have to search their forum for that) and even a video 2-3 months ago now they are admitting they dont have anything to show in this video they said was coming??? Seems i was right about that when said it
Here are some of Jeff's replies to the 5.0 release. note the dates.
Jeff wrote:

2/17/2012: There is no time table.We are constantly working, so as soon as something is ready, a new beta will be released.

2/17/2012: We should have a new beta out soon though.

4/14/12: We are working on it. There is no ETA. stay tuned

12/14/2012: this year is unlikely.but still close.

9/29/13: The goal is this year but we can't promise anything.

12/29/13: We don't want to be locked into anything when things are still changing.when we are close to releasing an alpha or beta then screen shots may appear.

1/9/14: We just don't know how long it will take to finish.

1/9/14: I am sorry I can't be more specific than that.We are working as fast and as hard as we can.

1/9/14: We are doing the best we can, what else is there to say?

1/9/14: I don't have any answers for you.

3/14/14: there is nothing to share yet.we are working on a WIP video.

5/18/14: 6 months is certainly a possibility but I can't promise anything.

Murry wrote:
3/10/2005: Specifically I'm working on the HTTP 1.1/Gzip support for v4.7, which is coming along nicely.
jeff wrote:
2/1/2013
AkbarRi wrote:Any updates on HTTP 1.1/Gzip support?
It's coming in the next version.
not much else to say...

Nameless

Beta Tester
Yeh i read all that at the end of last year when i was fed up waiting for an update, but of cause the excuses were rolling and still are today but here is the post i was on about. Everything complete part from the UI, beta coming, going, going and yep its gone! lol

by Jeff » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Almost everything is done but for the new User Interface which we are working on now.

When that is finished we will assemble it and fix all of the obvious bugs and then release it as an alpha or beta.

If all goes as planned we could see a beta before summer. :)

No promises of course, we have high standards
End of the day though im quite happy with adguard and the devs as for murray and jeff they have done nothing but lie to their customers for over two years so i dont trust anything they say.

ProTruckDriver

Beta Tester
That's why I switched to AG WebRat, too much drama at AM Forum. I wish AM the best, but I don't think they are going to make it. I'm very happy running AG. :D

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Javascript is better choice indeed.
The problem with content ($$) rules is that they cannot remove big elements (length greater than 8192 bytes).

But, if you choose javascript - the rule depends on the forum engine.

@Nick, could you please specify the forum where you want to remove posts?

PS: I guess we should move this discussion to Custom Rules section. I'll do it later though:)

Nick

Javascript is better choice indeed.
The problem with content ($$) rules is that they cannot remove big elements (length greater than 8192 bytes).

But, if you choose javascript - the rule depends on the forum engine.

@Nick, could you please specify the forum where you want to remove posts?

PS: I guess we should move this discussion to Custom Rules section. I'll do it later though:)
I've sent a pm with the forum address.

Cheers.

Ghost5525

Beta Tester
Indeed, Ad Muncher's now free. I honestly didn't expect that.
As someone who bought a lifetime license...this is such a slap in the face...I'd rather be apart of Adguard if it means the are going to support their product and embrace their community of supporters...not leave em in the dark for 2+ years waiting for a version 5 that will never happen.