Torrent sites - virus

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Martha, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Martha

Martha New Member

can someone on this thread help me with torrent sites ? I am facing an issue lately while using torrent sites such as pirate bay where I get viruses and malware attacks which has caused my system to crash and I had to go all over again by installing windows again. Although I do use AVG but perhaps they are not able to defend any attack which most probably is due to AVG being free. I did a little research on top torrent sites and the review has divided them into categories but it still includes some sites which prone to any attack.
    Please help!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I'm sorry to say this, but there's a moral of the story here: don't go to questionable torrent sites to pirate stuff. Honestly you're just asking to be infected with various types of malware (e.g. viruses, rootkits, trojans, etc.) by visiting those type of sites. Also don't believe the "top site" lists, all of them are really BS and most of them are themselves infested with all types of malware and nasty stuff. IMO, AVG is a terrible AV from past experience. However if you're running AVG alongside something like Malwarebytes Antimalware would be a good step in the right direction. Just know that antivirus/antimalware software can only do so much.

This topic should also help you: https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/how-to-remove-adware-and-malware-self-help.17578/

Honestly, if this was me and I was hellbent on visiting these questionable sites, I'd use something like a virtual machine (either VMware or VirtualBox) and install Windows (if you have an additional license laying around) or a Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Antergos which are all free) and making sure there's a snapshot of the "clean" state of the virtual machine after settings it up (and installing stuff like browsers, OpenVPN, etc.). This way you can visit those sites - if you pick up any viruses while in the virtual machine they're sandboxed to the virtual machine. Meaning if the virtual machine gets infected, you can simply roll back to the clean snapshot and you're good to go again. Running a VPN within the virtual machine wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The better idea? Avoid all of those torrent sites altogether. :)

Martha likes this.
  3. Martha

Martha New Member

Thanks for the reply

4. mark hascole

mark hascole New Member

Thanks for sharing this information!

5. sirud

sirud New Member

Does adguard help to eliminate popups and click-jacked advertisements? I rarely use torrent but those type of ads are quite annoying.

6. Boo Berry

Which AdGuard product are you talking about? For example AdGuard for Windows includes the AdGuard Popup Blocker extension (userscript) which deals with popups, but the AdGuard Adblocker browser extensions don't. But if you use Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey you can add the AdGuard Popup Blocker userscript yourself and it should work: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/PopupBlocker

7. sirud

sirud New Member

I'm talking about chrome extension.

8. Boo Berry

I'd use the Tampermonkey browser extension then add the AdGuard Popup Blocker userscript. Should do nicely together.

sirud likes this.
  9. sirud

sirud New Member

Thanks a lot.

10. Willie aames

Willie aames New Member

Illegal Torrents could infect your system and Operating systems.

11. Lene1980

Lene1980 New Member

I always search in the search engine and download, never had a problem.