[**] tvcast.naver.com - An Old Rule Not Working With FireFox

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
tvcast.naver.com is a video streaming website. It shows ads before playing the actual video in a way similar to Youtube.
I once requested a filtering rule for this website before in this thread, and I was provided with a following rule
Code:
||advod.smartmediarep.com^$third-party
which was subsequently added to English filter, and this has been working great.

I just found that this rule breaks the video playback ONLY in FireFox.
What is strange is that, with Edge browser I am using, the ad blocking was still working. I've also tried with Chrome Version 50.0.2661.94 m, and the old rule was still working well.

(Added: someone reported that the above rule breaks the site with Safari, too)

Here is a test video: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/854512

Screenshot when the rule "||advod.smartmediarep.com^$third-party" is enabled:

The text in the red box reads as "Device or application do not support the playback of this video".

Screenshot when the rule "||advod.smartmediarep.com^$third-party" is disabled:

The text in the red box reads as "You can skip ads in 15 seconds". After skipping the ad, the video plays normally, so it is actually playable in firefox contrary to what the website says when I enable the rule.

While testing above I disabled every add-on, cleared caches in firefox and disabled every filter but the English filter.

Can you reproduce this result, and if so, can you provide a rule that works with firefox? Thank you.

Last edited:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Sadly not reproducible here in my Firefox, even with Stealth mode it works as it should. Maybe Alex can reproduce as I didn't see the ad in the first place when you reported the ad.

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Sadly not reproducible here in my Firefox, even with Stealth mode it works as it should. Maybe Alex can reproduce as I didn't see the ad in the first place when you reported the ad.
Nothing to be sad about it. I know you failed to load the ads even when I posted the old thread.

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
#### Edited!

Hi, I've checked this again, and sometimes the rule
Code:
does not cause any problem. Looking at the filtering logs, sometimes the above rule does block something, and in among those cases, the playback break issues occurs sometimes, but not always.

I couldn't check with Safari.

I also found that there are other ad sources. This is a video that I see that kinds of ads frequently: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/861655 even if I have enabled the rule above.
I inspected filtering logs although most of them does not make any sense to my knowledge;), and found that the rule below
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com
works for those cases. But I can't tell anything about whether this rule is too broad or too narrow. I can't even tell why that rule works.
Actually the rule
Code:
 ||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/2010
would suffice, but I thought there might be another ad sources which share the domain ams.rmcnmv.naver.com but not the above one.

By blocking ams.rmcnmv.naver.com, it seems that it does not send request to advod.smartmediarep.com anymore, also it does block some other advertisement videos that are not covered by blocking advod.smartmediarep.com. So I guess we can replace the old rule to this new rule.

This rule, too, makes some unexpected behavior with Firefox that I will write below, but in this case videos are still playable.

Based on this there might be a more fundamental rule that still blocks all ads but make no anomalies with Firefox.

* Anomalies with firefox

(1)
- With firefox, play a video that displays ads that is filtered by the new rule
- Click the back button of the browser
- Then the video player shows following during a short time until the page is refreshed

Where the text at the center of the video says "Can't play the video".

(2)
- With firefox, play a video that displays ads that is filtered by the new rule
- Click the pause button at the bottom left of the video player
- Then the video does not pause, or restarts from the beginning.
- Pressing the pause button several times finally make the video pause.

These were not observed in Edge. Couldn't check it with Chrome and Safari.

For someone who is more knowledgeable about web coding, Please take a look at this and suggest a better rule. I am satisfied with current two rules, but it would be nice if one could prevent these anomalies from occurring in Firefox, by some additional rules.

Last edited:

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Hi
Tried this rule in Chrome and Safari - no problems:)
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/
Also you can check this rule instead the first(not for browser extensions)
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/NAVER?ams_ctgr=ARTIS&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/
Could you check without YousList?

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Hi
Tried this rule in Chrome and Safari - no problems:)
Code:
Also you can check this rule instead the first(not for browser extensions)
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/NAVER?ams_ctgr=ARTIS&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/
Could you check without YousList?
I've checked the second rule with enabling English filter and User filter only, and disabling the old rule advod.smartmediarep.com. Ads were not blocked.
However, the following modified rule has worked:
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/SMR?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/
What is amazing with this rule is that the annoying problems with Firefox has finally gone! (1) occurs regardless of whether Adguard is enabled or not, so I guess its a problem of Firefox. (2) was annoying; I have to press pause button twice in order to pause a video with Firefox. With the above rule, this is gone!

Could you explain the point of this rule? Why does this rule not work with browser extensions(so that I can tell others about the superiority of Adguard over other extensions:D)? Will it be working with Android or iOS versions?

Last edited:

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
This site uses VAST for displaying video ads. When you block video ad source, you can brake a player.
My second rule clear VAST config, and player works without ads.
This rule uses regular expression for searching and replacing content in responses.
Added it to Experimental filter.

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Thanks for your explanation. I checked two rules with Samsung internet browser on my Android device. The old rule breaks the video. The rule "||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/" blocks the ads but the same problem arises; the first input of tapping the pause button makes video restart from the beginning. The rule "||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/SMR?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/" blocks ads and have made no problem so far.

It seems that the old rule
Code:
should be removed, because it consistently makes problem with Firefox and Samsung browser.

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for your explanation. I checked two rules with Samsung internet browser on my Android device. The old rule breaks the video. The rule "||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/" blocks the ads but the same problem arises; the first input of tapping the pause button makes video restart from the beginning. The rule "||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/SMR?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/" blocks ads and have made no problem so far.

It seems that the old rule
Code:
should be removed, because it consistently makes problem with Firefox and Samsung browser.
Did you get the same issue also on desktop Firefox, or only on mobile browsers?

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Please check following rule:
Code:
@@||advod.smartmediarep.com^$domain=naver.com

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
So we can't remove this rule:)
But can't reproduce problem with Firefox.
Please check these rules:
Code:
||dn.naver.com/ad3/*.mp4$mp4
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
So we can't remove this rule:)
But can't reproduce problem with Firefox.
Please check these rules:
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/
I've checked these rules. I guess your second rule was meant to cover both rules that you've first suggested and the one I modified. I was seeing some video ads with the previous rule, but with your second rule
Code:
I am not seeing any ads. Same for
Code:

About the first rule, I guess this is meant to block their new annoying adblock detection screen. However, if I enable the second rule only, such detection screen is not displayed.

If I enable following rules
Code:
||ams.rmcnmv.naver.com/item/create/*/SMR?ams_ctgr=*&ams_chnl=*ams_videoId=$replace=/(<VAST[\s\S]*?>)[\s\S]*<\/VAST>/\$1<\/VAST>/
I see the detection screen, even though the first rule is meant to block it.

If I enable following rule alone,
Code:
I am not even seeing that detection screen. It's strange, blocking the intended one actually make it to be displayed.

If the first rule is not blocking it effectively, we could just use the second rule alone. I haven't seen any problem only with it so far.

Last edited:

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Also, I've tested the rule
Code:
with Safari version 6.0 (7536.25) and Adguard safari extension, and some video don't play. could you confirm that it is working with safari? Some videos don't display ads so please check with a lot of different videos.

Last edited:

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I've checked these rules. I guess your second rule was meant to cover both rules that you've first suggested and the one I modified. I was seeing some video ads with the previous rule, but with your second rule
Code:
I am not seeing any ads. Same for
Code:

About the first rule, I guess this is meant to block their new annoying adblock detection screen. However, if I enable the second rule only, such detection screen is not displayed.

If I enable following rules
Code:
I see the detection screen, even though the first rule is meant to block it.

If I enable following rule alone,
Code:
I am not even seeing that detection screen. It's strange, blocking the intended one actually make it to be displayed.

If the first rule is not blocking it effectively, we could just use the second rule alone. I haven't seen any problem only with it so far.
So this rule works file?
Code:

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Also, I've tested the rule
Code:
with Safari version 6.0 (7536.25) and Adguard safari extension, and some video don't play. could you confirm that it is working with safari? Some videos don't display ads so please check with a lot of different videos.
I need the example links.
Is this issue stably repeated?

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
I need the example links.
Is this issue stably repeated?
I don't have a regularly accessible Mac device so I can't say much more. When I enabled that rule in Adguard extension's user filter, a video kept loading and didn't play. Then I remove the rule and the video became playable. I repeated this several times.