[*] Twitch.tv ads

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by nikk_, Sep 21, 2016.

1. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

Hi there.
    I've been using the Adguard extension for chrome for more than a year now and I gotta say I'm quite happy with it. It's been blocking everything just fine, including Titch.tv ads.
    However recently (past 2 months) it stopped blocking Titch.tv ads for some reason. Every time I load a stream it start playing an ad in the next 10 sec (its not immediately after the stream loads), and every time a streamer decides to play an ad (during a pause or something) it plays the ad and does not block it.
    My chrome version is 53.0.2785.116 m , and I have loaded all possible adguard filters that can relate to twitch or just in general but with no avail.
    I have ignored it till now, but it's getting out of hand, watching a clutch match and have to reload the stream for some reason and it plays a minute ad (currently it plays exclusively the Dishonored 2 ad).
    I like Adguard and don't want to remove it for another blocker, so any help is appreciated.

P.S.
    Silly me. I posted it in the wrong section, sorry about that. I just noticed it says windows without realizing that it's the stand alone program and not the extension. If a mod can move it to the Adguard Browser Extension section that would be great. Thanks.

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

Can you please post a link to such twitch stream, I tried a few and no ads.

3. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

@nikk_ Which antivirus and/or firewall are you using?

4. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

5. Blaz

Can you please make screenshots of those ads, for me it plays fine (at esl stream I only see ads which are built in into the stream, e. g. ads for their own t-shirts).

6. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

Like I said it happens on every stream, every game. I just opened a random stream and made some screenshots:
    http://s22.postimg.org/67r6lm6f5/image.jpg ; http://s16.postimg.org/xpdo62h2d/image.jpg ; http://s12.postimg.org/6rfr8m7fx/image.jpg ; http://s14.postimg.org/ap6kahclt/image.jpg

As soon as I opened the stream the ad started. You can see there is "Advertisement" written in the top left corner of the video, and the Adguard is running. I tried disabling the network threat protection module of my antivirus (which contains the firewall as well) but the result was the same.

7. Blaz

Please only enable "English", "Spyware", "Social" and "Experimental" filter and check again. I just tested with my Chrome and Extension only and those filters and no ads.

Please also check that "Allow search ads and websites' self-promotion" is disabled.

8. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

I did what you suggested. I even disabled the phishing and malware protection just in case but there is no change - the ads still load.

I did a test with Firefox and Adguard and its working fine - blocking both adds/banners and video ads on the site.
    I just don't understand what's wrong with chrome. I disabled all extensions except the Adguard, I ran it with the same options that I tried with Firefox and that you recommended and it is working fine - blocking ads and various banners and background images(ads) on Twitch, but it doesn't block the video ads on the streams. And that's the only issue I'm having with it, on all other sites/video sites its working flawlessly.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. Alex302

@nikk_ please make a screenshot of SSL certificate information. Like this:
    [​IMG]

10. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

11. Alex302

No, I mean for Twitch.tv :)
    Anyway, HTTPS filtering is not working. Please try to find in your antivirus and/or firewall HTTPS/SSL filtering option and turn it off.

12. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

This is the twitch one:
    http://s13.postimg.org/j58fzm2tz/image.jpg
    Unfortunately I can't find any option in Symantec related to HTTPS/SSl. I wrote earlier that even disabling the entire network monitoring module which contains the firewall as well, does not solve the issue.
    There is a list of firewall rules and I unchecked all, but still no change.

Edit:
    Here's the kicker: If I have HTTPS/SSL issues I should have them across all browsers. But I just tried Mozilla and it works fine - no ads when watching through it. Also the certificate is the same as the chrome one (obviously).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  13. Blaz

nikk_ is using Extension and not Adguard for Windows.

14. Alex302

Oh, did not see.
    @nikk_ it is not a HTTPS issue.
    Could you check this site in private mode? Which rules are in user filter?

15. nikk_

nikk_ New Member

There is no difference in private mode, I don't know what rules are you referring to. If its the Adguard filters I'm using "English", "Spyware", "Social" ,"Experimental" , "Annoyance" , "Malware Domains" , "Spam 404" and "Russian Filter".

After some testing I noticed something. Twitch is migrating from flash to HTML5 and I noticed I have option on Mozilla to use their HTML5 beta player but not on chrome. So I disabled the chrome flash plugin forcing it to use HTML5 and sure enough the ads stop playing on Twitch (same as Mozilla, HTML5 was on by default from the sites options). I can't say this solved the issue. I suspect that if I have to play a flash video in the future from another video or game streaming site, the same issue with ads loading will appear.

If you want to close this thread as solved its fine, but if you want to continue digging into this problem I don't mind helping you identify what the issue is.

16. Alex302

@nikk_ Could you provide remote access via TeamViewer?