Two questions re: AdGuard DNS

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for iOS)' started by Smaptastic, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Smaptastic

Smaptastic New Member

Hi, two quick questions regarding Adguard DNS. I have Adguard Pro, so I can enable DNS in the app.

First question: Do I need to enable the "Adguard DNS Filter" to use Adguard DNS? It's not clear if that is necessary, or if it is simply a supplemental filter for the content blocker.

Second question: I use another VPN (ipvanish). Can I use this and Adguard DNS simultaneously? Things seem to work fine, but I'm not 100% confident that Adguard DNS does its job when I do this.

Thanks!

2. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. Smaptastic

Smaptastic New Member

Thank you for the response! The github link seems to suggest that if both VPN services can be activated at once, they will work together. Is that accurate? I recognize ExpressVPN from the list and know it could not be activated at the same time because it falls under the same category as Adguard. IPVanish does not (nor does NordVPN, FYI), so is it reasonably safe to assume that they will work together?

Thanks again!

4. vasily_bagirov

@Smaptastic most likely, yes. But we'd still better check it ourselves. If you could add your comment to the GitHub task, though, it would be great!

5. Smaptastic

Smaptastic New Member

Sure thing. Will you respond to this thread once you've checked it out?

6. vasily_bagirov

I asked @George to comment here once he's done with testing.

7. lostcowboy

lostcowboy New Member

Hello, looking to get IPVanish and Adguard aps to work together. Is that possible? Could you post detailed instructions if it is possible to do?
    Thanks

PS: I am asking about both Android apps.
    Update, I got the android version of adguard to work by way of the proxy settings for the vpn.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. SAlminho

SAlminho New Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. lostcowboy

lostcowboy New Member

First let me say that I have not been able to have both Android apps (AdGuard and IPVanish) work together. But in the AdGuard app there are settings for using a sock5 proxy and that does work! IPVanish has only one sock5 server that I am aware of and that is ams.socks.ipvanish.com and that is in Amsterdam or near it. Sock5 is not as secure as OpenVPN https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-...013-What-is-the-IPVanish-SOCKS5-Proxy-Server-
    https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-...-Setup-SOCKS5-Proxy-with-uTorrent-for-Windows
    https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/solving-problems/adguard-outbound-proxy
    That should get you connected to IPVanish through the AdGuard app, the sock5 server is quite fast. I had about a 5 minute delay when first setting it up, I think it took that long to get my sock5 username and password over to the server. I am not sure if there is dns lookup through the sock5 server, so I have dns setup in AdGuard. I have the AdGuard v3.0, under dns filtering/select dns server I have AdGuard dns (DNS-over-TLS) enabled. I also have my dns settings in my router set to AdGuard dns.
    I use the FAST app to test and verify that I am using the proxy, once the speed test is done, tap on more info and you should see that you are connected to the Netherlands NL. Only once confirmed will I start my video streaming app.

10. Rae Roberts

Rae Roberts New Member

You have shared a lot in your reply thanks for this.