Update process - still too difficult

AnthonyB

Beta Tester
I've just updated to AG 6.1.258.1302 but I'm still amazed at how cumbersome the process is.

The icon in the system tram has a prompt - excellent
I open AG and go to the About box - there is an Update button - excellent
I click the Update button; it downloads the update - excellent

...then nothing.

The update is downloaded... nothing.
I click the Update button again... it re-downloads the update.. still.. nothing..

I give up and go to the website and manually download.
I seem to recall the same experience updating last time.

It should not be this hard!!

I know there has been previous discussion about a silent update process and this would still be my preferred option, but this existing update process should at least download the update and kick off the installer!?!?

Please - improve this part of the program! Or, let me know if I'm doing something wrong! :)

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Guys, this is our mistake, we have literally shot ourselves in the foot.

So, what's the issue:
1. The code signing certificate we were using has expired on 3rd of September.
2. This code signing certificate was used for setup.exe file.
3. When Adguard downloads update package, it checks code signature validity.

The problem is that to check certificate validity it uses the current date instead of the signing date.
So, the old certificate is expired now, and Adguard considers signature invalid and does not allow update to happen.

We will upload new setup package today, signed with a new valid certificate.

Gass

@avatar,

I had experienced and went through same update troubles in the stable build of Adguard 6.0.266.1108 as others reported here but, after I reported it on the forum and was answered by Boo Berry, and I self elected to delete my thread on it. I'm glade the trouble has come to be solved and fixed.

I've went back through some of the changes mentioned in updates to Adguard for Windows and seen-
Adguard for Windows version 5.6.864 - added - Automatic program updates.
Adguard for Windows version 6.0.188 - Updating to new version from Adguard 5 is now possible and will not lose any settings.
Adguard for Windows version 6.0.204 - Changed - Auto update mechanism. / Fixed - Adguard beta won't update after clicking on 'Install' button in 'About' section. / Fixed - Latest update check time is not being updated.
Adguard for Windows version 6.0.224 - everything seems to be fixed and we are ready to turn on the auto-update for all our users who still use Adguard 5.10. / Fixed - An issue when update errors were shown as valid updates in tray notification.

I'm curious why I didn't see in Adguard's UI anything noting an error or in fact nothing more was to happen but, show same update I had download twice already still shown to be downloaded yet again. Wouldn't I have seen some error noted as it speaks of in-
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/793
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/835
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/848

I have a question, that I don't understand the process that's happening as it seems to be automatic in nature when right clicking on the Adguard tray Icon and selecting check updates. It showed 4 filter subscriptions of the 8, I have installed needed to be updated, I checked again in 5 minutes and it showed none needed to be updated this time.
My question is the automatic check and updates done by Adguard on a timed schedule? Which can be advanced to the present time when the check is initiated by the user?
Does it have to be initiated by the user checking first for any updates to happen and it's not automatic in nature by a timed schedule happening in Adguard ? Is there any differences with this process (barring beta's) in the case of stable builds of any and all updates available under the different branches in Adguard of the program, filters, extensions?

With the new search feature of the UI that we can use to search the whole program for any keyword by entering it in the text field in the top right corner, will this be expanded in the future builds to allowing us in searching for any errors reported from Adguard as well as seeing update logs and then that of any logs or reports in general associated with Adguard. If not by the search box, will we have access to errors, reports and logs (within the Adguard directory) of a folder to inspect these items?

I'm just trying to help you and understand some in the process (in my limit way), I did uninstall Adguard and downloaded the update from the site and I have v 6.1.258.1302 now installed. It's amazing to me of all the improvements and updates that come down the Adguard pike, and then all of the different branches and platforms it's composed for, of that Adguard's Team and beta testers keep up with it and bring us a great product.

Really a good job you all are doing with it...

Thanks, Gass

Last edited:

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm curious why I didn't see in Adguard's UI anything noting an error or in fact nothing more was to happen but, show same update I had download twice already still shown to be downloaded yet again.
When AG cannot verify setup package signature it considers that package was damage during the download process.

It happens sometimes, so there's no need in explicit warning. After some time Adguard just tries to download it again.

Gass

When AG cannot verify setup package signature it considers that package was damage during the download process.

It happens sometimes, so there's no need in explicit warning. After some time Adguard just tries to download it again.
Would this also be true when a user self-updates and continues to receive no errors and the update is still being shown yet to be download, when it registers through a % scale till it's completed in the AG update window and is fully downloaded in two attempts. I would think if not an explicit warning to the user is give, then a server message sent to the administrator on duty would call for some attention in an issue of trouble.

Then to if a user could look to a log or report in the install directory of Adguard to help pinpoint the issue for corrections to be made (in this case - a code signing certificate error) as to why when downloaded it didn't install, to help the team out and receive help or report it correctly on the forum. Not just make a topic of an issue that something happened.

Just some suggestions to consider as bandwidth on both sides suffers but, mostly for Adguard as multiple users continue to re-download it again and again. Maybe a future case of both sides of stable and beta doing similar. It maybe to isolated and not wide spread of an incident to worry about for now. That's what I thought and decided to delete my original thread.

I'm not trying to argue but stir thoughts,
thanks Gass

aegis

Administrator
Administrator
Would this also be true when a user self-updates and continues to receive no errors and the update is still being shown yet to be download...
Have you experienced this kind of behaviour? Wow. I would really appreciate taking a look at installation logs, if possible.

Gass

Have you experienced this kind of behaviour? Wow. I would really appreciate taking a look at installation logs, if possible.
Just so we are clear, this was when trying to update from Adguard version 6.0.266.1108 is when I experienced my troubles.
I've since uninstalled that version with REVO Uninstaller Pro and ran extra registry and system cleaners as well.
I've had no troubles or experiences with this new stable version 6.1.258.1302 as of today. So if you still want something
now I could oblige you but the information you seek maybe gone. I will keep the installation logs information, so if this
is to ever happen again I'll pull it for you. Yes I don't run, the run of the mill Win. 8.1 x64, I've removed all apps and have
very limited Metro still left. Shooting for something like the Win. 7 desktop but of the Win. 8.1 variety.

PS: I just checked that directory and nothing says Adguard there and all listed are dated 09/13/16.

Thanks, Gass

Last edited:

AnthonyB

Beta Tester
Guys, this is our mistake, we have literally shot ourselves in the foot.

So, what's the issue:
1. The code signing certificate we were using has expired on 3rd of September.
2. This code signing certificate was used for setup.exe file.
3. When Adguard downloads update package, it checks code signature validity.

The problem is that to check certificate validity it uses the current date instead of the signing date.
So, the old certificate is expired now, and Adguard considers signature invalid and does not allow update to happen.

We will upload new setup package today, signed with a new valid certificate.
Thanks for confirming there was an issue and resolving it!
Hopefully next update will be much smoother! :)