Version change March 8th?? Auto-reload page? How to disable?

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by tjoe, Mar 8, 2019.

1. tjoe

tjoe New Member

Suddenly, today, the AdGuard button has a new interface, and it no longer works the way it used to.
    Previously, I would turn the guard off momentarily on sites that detect it and block me, then I would reload the page with the blocker off, and turn it back on right away. This allows me to read the page I went to without further interruption.
    Now, however, AdBlocker automatically reloads the page when you turn it off or turn it on. Reloading with blocker back on makes the page detect the blocker and it then keeps me from using the page.
    I looked in settings and there is nothing that lets me disable this.
    Might be time to look for a new ad blocker.

2. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@tjoe

Hello!

Could you please clarify the following info:
    1. Windows version
    2. AdGuard Version
    3. Browser and version
    4. Is the browser extension installed? (if so try to remove it if AdGuard for Windows is installed)

While waiting for your answer please, use this recommendation:

Open Adguard - Settings - Extensions - AdGuard Assistant Beta - reinstall - re-open your browser and check again.

3. h36

h36 New Member

Same problem, I only have the adguard extension for Opera installed. On some websites I used to do the following:
    - Disable adguard
    - Load webpage
    - Enable adguard to block dynamic ads.
    Unfortunately, now after the last step the web page is reloaded, and adblock-detectors detect adguard

4. h36

h36 New Member

ah, all the info you asked for:
    - windows 10
    - AdGuard Extension Version 3.0.8
    - opera 58.0.3135.68

5. TheHasagi

@h36

Can you try to delete extension and install it again -> check?

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Ah, I think I understand what @h36 means.

In the old 2.x version of the AG browser extensions, when you disabled protection on a website it wouldn't automatically reload the page. This was handy when you temporarily disabled protection then manually reloaded the page then finally re-enabling protection without the page automatically reloading itself. This could allow certain things to happen, like on some problematic video sites allowing the videos to load (because they were tied to ads being blocked) but if you re-enabled protection after the video loaded, the video content would still work but ads would start becoming blocked when they changed (though some ads likely would be visible). In 3.0, when you disable or re-enable the protection, the browser extension reloads the webpage automatically.

You guys can probably add an option in the browser extensions' Miscellaneous section to not reload a page when disabling or enabling protection to restore the previous behavior. I do see where in certain situations where allowing the previous behavior might be useful.

h36 likes this.
  7. h36

h36 New Member

thank you. can you estimate if and when it is going to be fixed?

8. TheHasagi

@h36

You can ask about this feature here.

9. h36

h36 New Member

hey, I don't have a github account, and I find it weird copy the concern from the support forums into there, especially when the fix is actually shorter than the issue itself