VPN and Adguard - Dummy Question

Bruno

Hello.

I have some issue to understand the compatibility between Adguard and a VPN that belongs to the compatibility list.

When activated Adguard is dealing with the DNS requests. However when activated the VPN creates a secure tunnel where DNS requests should go through.
If the DNS requests don't go through the VPN tunnel then we will have a DNS leak with an impact on privacy and anonymity.

So what does the compatibility means exactly? And how requests are managed between Adguard and the VPN? How really secure is the connection?

Thanks for the explanation.

TheHasagi

Quality Assurance / Support Commando
Staff member
Administrator
@Bruno

Hello!

All your traffic goes through AdGuard and no matter if VPN enabled/disabled. Did you found a DNS leak?

For more information please, visit our knowledge base and read an article.

Bruno

Thanks for your answer.

However can you clarify it regarding my question about the VPN compatibility list?

karimkarim

Thanks for your answer.

However can you clarify it regarding my question about the VPN compatibility list?
When activated Adguard is dealing with the DNS requests. However when activated the VPN creates a secure tunnel where DNS requests should go through.
If the DNS requests don't go through the VPN tunnel then we will have a DNS leak with an impact on privacy and anonymity.

S

Bruno

S
Thanks but this is what I said. Check my initial message.
The question is related to VPN compatibility topic.

I used VPNs which are not compatible and everything is working fine. Whatever they're compatible or not Adguard is dealing with DNS and VPN with IP. So not matter what, there will be always a DNS Leak on the VPN side.

A very simple question but Adguard team seems to have difficulty to provide a clear answer on what is their VPN compatibility definition.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@Bruno
Ohh...sorry.
The message was not addressed to you. :)

Regarding your post.
Not quite clear what your question is? What are you having problems with?

Bruno

@Bruno
Ohh...sorry.
The message was not addressed to you. :)

Regarding your post.
Not quite clear what your question is? What are you having problems with?
No worries.

I am trying to understand what Adguard is meaning by VPN compatibility.

I tried several VPN which are compatible and not compatible according to Adguard.
However, everything is always working fine regardless the VPN used.
The IP is the one from the VPN and the DNS is from AdGuard.
Of course, in all cases there is always a DNS leak.

So I am just trying to understand what do you mean by compatible.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@Bruno

It’s more likely that some VPNs do not work correctly with AdGuard.
And after users tell us about it - we try to fix this problem. The problem itself is called incompatibility.

Bruno

@Bruno

It’s more likely that some VPNs do not work correctly with AdGuard.
And after users tell us about it - we try to fix this problem. The problem itself is called incompatibility.
I understand and I don’t. A VPN is just building a tunnel to hide IP and DNS requests. What is not working properly? I wish you could give more clarification.

For instance, you mentioned that ExpressVPN is not compatible. I am using it now since a year and I don't see any issue.

hkirmani

Yeah i m also using PureVPN Mac VPN and didn't face any issue yet. I use an adblock with purevpn and it works good enoughf or me.

What's the point using Adguard with vpn? You can use both separately as both have different purpose like using adguard you can get rid of annoying ads rejects online tracking and protects your computer from malware while using a vpn is a solution to protect against 3rd party spying accessing restricted websites and ISP speed throttling.