What causes Adguard to block my internet connection?

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by NeedHelp, Aug 27, 2018.

1. NeedHelp

NeedHelp New Member

I constantly have to stop and start the Adguard app to maintain an internet connection. However, I never have any problem maintaining an internet connection when using an alternate VPN app.

For example, after Adguard is activated for 30 to be 40 minutes, I can no longer send or receive text messages, even after selecting Adguard to not filter the text messaging app, and after white listing the IP addresses used by the text messaging application. The same problem occurs with email, Play Store, browsers, or any other app needing internet access. Stopping and starting the Adguard app restores the internet connection only temporarily, both mobile and/or wifi.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, does anyone know why this is occurring, or what causes this problem?

2. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@NeedHelp

Hello!

What DNS is enabled in AdGuard? Try to change it to SecureDNS (for example).

In the settings, go to the DNS - Choose a custom DNS server - Secure DNS - AdGuard DNS.

3. NeedHelp

NeedHelp New Member

Have used DSNs from Adguard and Cisco primarily. Tried Secure DSN as suggested, but the issue remains. I will try using some other DSNs to see if that resolves the problem. Your suggestion to try alternate DSNs seems to me to be a very well thought potential solution. I am open to trying anything else, as this app is essentially useless to me now, but has been of significant value as a mobile app. I do not have this problem with the desktop application.

4. TheHasagi

@NeedHelp

Let me know if problems still exist.

5. foowhat

foowhat New Member

I'm having the same issue as well (I sent in a ticket with logs a little bit ago). As @NeedHelp said, after about 20 or 30 minutes I'll get an alert that my wifi no longer has an internet connection. The logs I sent in are from a rooted device with the local HTTP proxy filtering mode, but it happens to me on a stock Oreo 8.0 device and the VPN method too. Let me know in my ticket if you guys need logcats or anything.

I have the DNS settings turned off on both devices. Going to try the AdGuard DNS servers and see if that makes any difference. Though as I'm on Sprint (who only does IPv6 over LTE) and my ISP does not support IPv6, will I need to switch between the AdGuard IPv4/IPv6 DNS servers depending on my connection?

6. NeedHelp

NeedHelp New Member

Changing servers has not helped, as I have experimented with several, including the ones recommended in earlier posts. My device is also un-rooted and ver 8.0.

To my dismay, and since I now know this issue is not unique to me, I will discontinue use until the next update which hopefully addresses this annoying problem.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  7. TheHasagi

8. NeedHelp

NeedHelp New Member

Tried nightly builds with no success. Still losing the connection as before, and must stop and restart the application to restore connectivity. Very frustrating.

9. rafadavidc

rafadavidc New Member

I'm going to chime in with this same problem.

New S9+
    All system updates
    AG fully updated, release channel
    Just submitted feedback now
    Problem is connection agnostic
    Using DNS blocking with CloudFlare Secure. Problem persists with any DNS selection.
    Have not tried proxy. (Should I? I'd rather use VPN.)
    HTTPS filtering enabled, certificate installed

10. TheHasagi

@NeedHelp @rafadavidc

Does this problem continue with both wifi and mobile data? If so, can you go AdGuard - Settings - Low-level settings - pref.vpn.ipv6.disable and check?

11. rafadavidc

rafadavidc New Member

Yes, this is across all connections. I have narrowed it down to DNS. The low level setting you suggested did not fix the issue.

I have also switched to the nightly channel and DNS filtering still breaks everything.

12. TheHasagi

@rafadavidc

What's your mobile provider? Please collect the log files (with the reproduced issue) and send me via private messages.

13. rafadavidc

rafadavidc New Member

AT&T. Issue is reproducible with CloudFlare regular and secure as well as system default DNS. Log reflects system default. I'll send shortly.

14. TheHasagi

@rafadavidc

Can you try to disable/enable these options in AdGuard - Settings - Advanced - Low-level settings - pref.vpn.disable.reconfigure/pause and check if it helps?

15. rafadavidc

rafadavidc New Member

Ok, to clarify, I toggled these two settings. They are displayed in their default states. It did not fix the issue. I have reverted them.

Attached Files:

16. NeedHelp

NeedHelp New Member

Unfortunately gave up on Adguard. Switched to Disconnect which works flawlessly, blocks ads in applications, and offers secure communications.