What happen to the Aghuard app and their devs ?

ShakedBenratzon

Dear Developers,

I do not know what happened but for a while there is no new update not on Adguard for windows/edge ex/android/assistant.

look here:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardAssistant/milestones

100% but still you did not release it, and it is like 1 month already like this.

Edge extension still does not have integration mode and does not get love like the chrome extension.

Match 2018 and there isn't VPN or cloud sync or any other cool new feature for at least 1 year =/

Hope to get some answers from you guys.

Best regards,

Shaked Benratzon

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
100% but still you did not release it, and it is like 1 month already like this
The Assistant is going to be released very soon, there are minor bugs that take some ttime to fix. We weren't releasing it mostly because we were busy with other projects and releases.

2018 and there isn't VPN or cloud sync or any other cool new feature for at least 1 year
We are working on it. This task is a vast one, and people who work on it are also working on other, more urgent stuff, like product updates etc.

Edge extension still does not have integration mode and does not get love like the chrome extension.
But it has integration mode? What version of the extension do you use?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I thought integration mode wasn't (yet) possible with Edge, has that changed? If so, Safari is the only major browser left without integration mode supported.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I can't speak for AdGuard or the developers, but from what I can gather the main focus right now with AdGuard (in general) is getting CoreLibs developed and integrated into AdGuard for Android, Mac and Windows which is a very time consuming process to get done. From what I heard, right now it's pending to get merged into AdGuard for Android, which will be the first app to get it. Then likely AdGuard for Mac will be next and finally AdGuard for Windows (which *may* be the most difficult to integrate). What is CoreLibs? In a nutshell it's the new universal libraries that are going to be used in those three AdGuard products. When it's integrated, adding new features like userscripts and Stealth Mode to all three becomes easier (instead of having to add features to each product's individual codebase). They're likely re-writing parts of the code of the three apps to accommodate the integration of CoreLibs. Since CoreLibs is being developed on Linux, there's hope for a AdGuard for Linux app someday (YAY!).

You can take a look at the CoreLibs issues on GH to see some of the progress and what it's going to support: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/CoreLibs/issues

Otherwise, in my own personal opinion I'd consider AG for Android, Mac and Windows in a "maintenance mode" for the time being. Meaning likely no new major features until CoreLibs lands. Just bug fixes, small feature updates, enhancements to existing features, etc. This probably won't apply to AdGuard for iOS, as it's not going to get CoreLibs (it doesn't need it). Won't apply to the AdGuard browser extensions either. However, I'm not sure about the AdGuard Sync feature, that likely will land before CoreLibs though, I'm thinking.

Development hasn't stopped - far from it! Behind the scenes things are happening and development/integration of CoreLibs is being prepared. If you're using the nightly channel AG for Windows and Android builds, you'll see there's been active development, bug fixes, etc.

@avatar or @vasily_bagirov this would be a good blog topic to touch upon. Explaining the lull between releases and talking about CoreLibs, why it's very important to develop and integrated and what it means for AG's future. Even posting a rough timetable might be a good idea, however seldom those ETAs are actually reached. :p

P.S. When CoreLibs lands, AdGuard for Windows/Mac/Android gains HTTP/2 support. So anyone wondering why AdGuard doesn't support it yet, that's why. Gotta wait for CoreLibs to land!

pegas

Beta Tester
Thanks a lot @Boo Berry for shedding more light on what's going on in backstage. It's a really exciting prospect. However one should consider that an ordinary Adguard user (no beta, no forum visiting etc.) may feel a lack of updates/upgrades comparing to previous years. Therefore it would be worth to write a blog or anyway publish what is being developed, how it relates to Adguard portfolio and update the roadmap. Just to keep a wide user base informed.

ShakedBenratzon

The Assistant is going to be released very soon, there are minor bugs that take some ttime to fix. We weren't releasing it mostly because we were busy with other projects and releases.

We are working on it. This task is a vast one, and people who work on it are also working on other, more urgent stuff, like product updates etc.

But it has integration mode? What version of the extension do you use?
I use the latest version from Microsoft Store and the latest Edge non insider build I also check in several computers and no integration mode

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
However one should consider that an ordinary Adguard user (no beta, no forum visiting etc.) may feel a lack of updates/upgrades comparing to previous years.
When we hear such complains, we always want to ask "what exactly new features/changes do you want to see"? Most people don't really know, they just want "updates" :) I know that in this particular case we were talking about CloudSync, so it's different, but still. No major updates is not always a bad thing.

Also, big props to @Boo Berry for taking time to write down everything about CoreLibs, I wouldn't be able to do it better myself.

Concerning posting an article about the roadmap: we'll consider it. No promises, since usually such posts consume A LOT of time, but we'll try.

I use the latest version from Microsoft Store and the latest Edge non insider build I also check in several computers and no integration mode
I got it, I misunderstood the "integration mode". I was thinking about the reporting tool integration since we've just finished implementing it into AG for iOS, and it was on my mind :) True, integration with the desktop app is not there yet. My apologies for misinformation.

pegas

Beta Tester
When we hear such complains, we always want to ask "what exactly new features/changes do you want to see"? Most people don't really know, they just want "updates" :) I know that in this particular case we were talking about CloudSync, so it's different, but still. No major updates is not always a bad thing.
True but if there are no updates/upgrades users don't take it as that a software is so good that it doesn't need an update ;) but they rather tend to think that something could be wrong with a development or a company etc. So you should let the public be informed what are you doing under the hood, what are you preparing and when (at least roughly) these things will see the light of the world. A simple thing - communication.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Safari and Edge are the two browsers where integration mode between AG for Windows/Mac and the AG browser extensions isn't possible (yet). Simply put, the web browsers don't support (in their extensions API) what's required to get integration mode working. Might/should be possible with Edge in the future, Safari on the other hand is a longshot, depending on what Apple wants to do with Safari.

A simple thing - communication.
I agree, and I know the AG team agrees too. Hopefully a new blog post will be posted soon to cover this stuff, when somebody has time.

TL;DR to anyone wondering what's going on: development is ongoing for all AG applications and browser extensions. The majority of the work is being done on a new library called CoreLibs, which once integrated, AG for Windows, Mac and Android will share the same libraries codebase (AG for iOS and the AG browser extensions don't need CoreLibs, so it won't land in those). There will be new releases in the short term with bug fixes, small new features, etc. I'm guessing AG for Windows 6.3 is about to hit beta soon.

Simply put this also means AG for Windows, Mac and Android will gain HTTP/2 support while AG for Mac and Android will gain features like userscripts, Stealth Mode, etc. due to it all being supported under one shared library codebase. This will make development of the apps much quicker and will allow feature parity between the apps to become much easier to achieve. Once landed, AG for Windows/Mac/Android might actually be faster. Hopefully will likely solve the issue with speed loss when using a really fast Internet connection when AG is enabled.

From the word I just heard, CoreLibs integration is about to begin for AG for Mac whereas AG for Android integration is about to land! AG for Windows integration will likely be the most difficult (likely a downright nightmare!) and most time consuming part of CoreLibs landing. Buckle your seatbelts, everyone! This isn't going to become another situation like with Ad Muncher - unlike Ad Muncher, AG has more than two developers and has more resources.

pegas

Beta Tester
I agree, and I know the AG team agrees too. Hopefully a new blog post will be posted soon to cover this stuff, when somebody has time.

TL;DR to anyone wondering what's going on: development is ongoing for all AG applications and browser extensions. The majority of the work is being done on a new library called CoreLibs, which once integrated, AG for Windows, Mac and Android will share the same libraries codebase (AG for iOS and the AG browser extensions don't need CoreLibs, so it won't land in those). There will be new releases in the short term with bug fixes, small new features, etc. I'm guessing AG for Windows 6.3 is about to hit beta soon.

Simply put this also means AG for Windows, Mac and Android will gain HTTP/2 support while AG for Mac and Android will gain features like userscripts, stealth mode, etc. due to it all being supported under one shared codebase. This will make development of the apps much quicker and will allow feature parity between the apps to become much easier to achieve.

From the word I just heard, CoreLibs integration is about to begin for AG for Mac whereas AG for Android integration is about to land! AG for Windows integration will likely be the most difficult (likely a downright nightmare!) and most time consuming part of CoreLibs landing. Buckle your seatbelts, everyone!
Thanks, perfectly written. I never had doubts over AG team and development. They do their very best in favour of all of us, users. A big thanks for that. I just thought it would be worth to be more a wide-user-base-oriented as far as the backstage information is concerned.