What is AdGuard VPN Protocol?

EnthusiastX

AdGuard VPN ad lists differences between different VPN protocols, such as IPSec, OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard, and AdGuard VPN Protocol.

AdGuard team statea that AdGuard VPN Protocol leverages HTTP/2 encryption. My research indicates that HTTP/2 is basic HTTPS encryption and the reason why many people use VPN's is because relying on website HTTPS encryption with DNS-over-HTTPS queries is not enough. Aside from HTTPS, there are countless other connection protocols and DNS-over-HTTPS does not do anything for them. Even in case of HTTPS encryption and DNS-over-HTTPS queries, you need ESNI to actually hide your TLS connections. ESNI is barely supported by most hosts...

AdGuard VPN Protocol seems like a connection to an HTTPS Proxy with DNS-over-HTTPS + ESNI + AdGuard Privacy filtering and ad blocking, but I am not sure if ESNI can be used with HTTPS proxies. I think that is why AdGuard team states that AdGuard VPN traffic is hard to distinguish from HTTPS browsing. If such is the case, then what AdGuard VPN offers is easily achieved with AdGuard ad blocker + any VPN service that offers HTTPS proxy servers...

I am only stating the above because AdGuard team is too vague about the details of what AdGuard VPN Protocol is and/or does...

Last edited: