What's the Exclamation Mark on the Icon for?

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Gass, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Gass

Gass Member

First I can't get a good enlarged image without pixel distortion but still the same the exclamation mark is
    visible.
    What's this an indication of (to many filters active) or something else, then why is the icon color different from normal?
    The exclamation mark on the tray icon is hardly a good way to tell a user something needs attention with it - program - system. Why is there no word of this exclamation mark given blog, program, knowledge base?

This is the system tray icon for Adguard...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Gass :D

2. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

It notifies you there's a new version available. Rightclick the icon, and it's at the top of the menu.

Gass likes this.
  3. Gass

Gass Member

That's cool -BUT- I thought Adguard was already capable of silent automatic version self-updates (as it's stated in general settings),
    which my check mark is clearly visible and it's checked to do so.
    Must still be buggy of this "silent automatic update" of the new version feature.
    I'd have to admit this time with it (and my manual input for it to do so) updated correctly which before it appeared to download but nothing further happen in a program version update - even after multiple times trying, I was forced to uninstall old version to move to the new.
    The BLUE exclamation mark (which should of been RED or brighter - flashing - something more to get my attention since the icon is so small anyway) is gone now.
    Yes the icon is now with the green ckeck mark once again.
    Thanks to you Phonemes for your help... :)
    Gass

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Autoupdate can be turned on or off on the server side. So, first days after release it is usually disabled, just to check that there are no major bugs missed during the beta test.

5. Gass

Gass Member

I guess that explains it with auto updates and the exclamation mark on the icon but, the blue backing circle is rather hard to see.
    Wouldn't a bolder color being used be that much more beneficial to someone not studying the icon and just happen to notice it?
    Thanks,

6. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Maybe deeper blue. Obviously, red is a bad choice, and there are not too many bright netral colors left. Anyway, if someone disables automatic updates on purpose, it usually means that he tracks the updates manually or at least glances once in a while at the tray icon :)

7. Gass

Gass Member

@Maybe if to use red, or even the (orange-brown/rust) color that's one of the two main colors of the forum here - used to notify of new posts members haven't read yet.

Making this color changing to the icon's outline and checkmark only to both of this one color being used then = no need to include the exclamation mark with a foreign background color to (crowding the icon), as the whole icon's outline color and checkmark will be seen as a clue/indication in a notification to the user of something needs attention with it.
    So what's now is shown in black of the icon&checkmark is then changed and offered in one of the three color's as a running mode of the installed Adguard program - maybe as I have listed below, and no overlay is needed... :)

In short this could be for the whole Adguard icon notifications system of/to any program status-alerts, and thus eliminating the need for an overlay color on top of the icon as is now done - case in point with the exclamation mark.
    GREEN Icon-outline and checkmark = all is good
    Rust/Orange Icon-outline and checkmark = attention needed
    Red Icon-outline and checkmark = warning given

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  8. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Gass Thanks for the suggestions! I am still of the opinion that this is more a question of personal preferences than anything else - for example, I find exclamation mark more indicative of required attention than a change in outline color. I don't think we will jsut change the icon out of the blue. Maybe when and if we go for a bigger redesign of the app, we will reconsider the look of tray icon as well - that's my guess. Of course, if it somehow comes to changing the icon earlier, I will remember your suggestion.

Gass likes this.
  9. Gass

Gass Member

Yes I'm only making a suggestion that I would find helpful - but - the exclamation mark I had seen possibly many times before I did realize that something more in it was telling me, as I said it is very small even though I have my system display settings to custom level of 140%. The blue is very close to the green to me with it as small as it is for an icon, something more flashy is defiantly needed if to remain a notification to a user. Thanks for taking my suggestion in to consideration for the future, my friend :)
    Thank you,