Which local VPN to use? AG + AGVPN

Jagg

I use Adguard & recently bought Adguard VPN.

However, I have a question regarding the local VPN profile on iOS. When I got AGVPN, It created a second local VPN as shown in the image.

So now I have:
Local VPN:
-AdGuard
-AdGuard VPN

Personal VPN
-AdGuard VPN IPSec

I have this configuration on the apps:
AdGuard
-DNS Implementation: AdGuard
-DNS Server: AdGuard DNS (DNS over QUIC)
-Split Tunnel

AdGuard VPN
-Operating mode: Integrated
-QUIC protocol: Enabled.

So, my question is: Which local VPN should I use to make sure both apps are working fully and efficiently?

It seems like if I use the regular AdGuard local VPN profile, I get some DNS leaking according to ipleak.net but I'm not sure if the AdGuard app is working fully if I choose the AGVPN local profile.

Can I get some clarification please? Thanks!

Attachments

Naylya

Support
Staff member
Administrator
Hi @Jagg,

In your case, there should be AdGuard in VPN Configurations and AdGuard VPN IPSec in Personal VPN (like in the first screenshot but both enabled). IPSec allows AdGuard VPN to work simultaneously with AdGuard.

Jagg

Hi @Jagg,

In your case, there should be AdGuard in VPN Configurations and AdGuard VPN IPSec in Personal VPN (like in the first screenshot but both enabled). IPSec allows AdGuard VPN to work simultaneously with AdGuard.
Thank you.

So, if I understood correctly, I should select «AdGuard» where it says VPN Configurations (local VPN) and «AdGuard VPN IPsec» where it says Personal VPN as shown in the 1st screenshot on this post.

Now, if I do that, I get the 2nd screenshot results on ipleak.net, meaning a DNS from Germany and an IP from the US. Is that supposed to happen? Doesn't that allow streaming services to know I'm using a VPN?

However, if I choose «AdGuard VPN» as a local VPN and «AdGuard VPN IPsec» as a personal VPN as in the 3rd screenshot, I get the results on the 4th screenshot, meaning, one DNS from the US and one from Japan, and an IP from the US. This is confusing I'd like to know what's the difference and what's best.

Some extra info, I'm connected to the Denver server and I am not in Germany nor Japan so those aren't my ISP DNS addresses.

Thank you!

Attachments

Naylya

Support
Staff member
Administrator
Hi @Jagg, the proper configuration is displayed in the 1st screen, where AdGuard is chosen in "VPN configurations" section. The results from ipleak service (screenshot 2) are showing your IP is detected as you were in Colorado state, so everything should work correctly for streaming services. As per DNS in some other countries, this refers to AdGuard settings, not VPN ones, and depends on your AdGuard settings.

The configuration from the 3rd screenshot does not let DNS filtering work in AdGuard app, so we'd strongly recommend using the config from the 1st screenshot.

Jagg

Hi @Jagg, the proper configuration is displayed in the 1st screen, where AdGuard is chosen in "VPN configurations" section. The results from ipleak service (screenshot 2) are showing your IP is detected as you were in Colorado state, so everything should work correctly for streaming services. As per DNS in some other countries, this refers to AdGuard settings, not VPN ones, and depends on your AdGuard settings.

The configuration from the 3rd screenshot does not let DNS filtering work in AdGuard app, so we'd strongly recommend using the config from the 1st screenshot.
Awesome! All clear! Thank you very much!

RosikPirigol

Hey bro, I'm using the NordVPN premium right now. Didn't you mention you need a free VPN provider, or are you looking for premium VPN services? You can use the VPNs from your browser extensions like TunnelBear, Ivacy with a free trial, etc. Today, many VPN services exist, and it is hard to choose the one that perfectly fits you. Try to check reviews here https://bestvpnprovider.co about best and cheap VPN providers. The site got pretty good reviews on the best premium/free VPNs and guides about bypassing different restrictions.

Last edited: