Why does AdGuard keep turning on after turning it off?

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
I've disabled Adguard as it was slowing my system down too much and causing issues with forums. I would really uninstall it, but I still use it for Edge browser when in private mode, which doesn't support Adblock. So I go into the system tray and right click Adguard and check disable protection and then exit adguard. Then later on I notice I'm running slow again, but looking in the system tray there is no icon for Adguard. When I look in task manager though it shows an instance of Adguard running and I have to force close it from the task manager. This seems to happen every few hours, I have it set to not start on boot and this happens with no reboots.

As you can tell I'm trying very hard to not uninstall it as I still find it useful for Edge browser in private mode, but I just want to be able to shut if off completely when I don't need it.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@spinedoc777 Hello!

I want to clarify a few things here. The process that you are killing from the task manager is effectively Adguard service. It is pretty much always enabled when your PC is on, it is started automatically even if you have an option to not start UI upon system startup. The background process also restarts several times if it was killed, so this explains why the issue comes back.

To determine why there is a slow down issue in the first place, we will need the detailed log. To do so, go to tray menu -> advanced -> logging level -> debug, let it run for a while (while the slow down issue is present), then disable logging and send us the logs. They could be found in %programdata%/adguard/logs folder. Please also notice the time when you did the logging so it would be easier for us to find the needed part.

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
So if I shut off Adguard from the taskbar there is still an Adguard process which stays alive? Why? My previous issue of having garbled crap all over my screen when going to forums and my browser running slowly continues even if I turn off adguard from the taskbar, and now I know why. Is there a way to fully disable adguard short of just uninstalling it?

Here is a pic of what I get with adguard turned off at the taskbar, but apparently still running a background process. Is there a way to fully turn off adguard short of a full uninstall?

upload_2016-10-22_23-10-22.png

Attachments

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@spinedoc777
There are several reasons to have service running in the background even when protection is disabled. For example, if the service is stopped, you can't make any changes to Adguard settings. Also, every time you restart the service, Adguard would have to ask for administrator rights. This would be irritating.

But, if you want to, you can stop the service, of course. Just go to 'services' tab of task manager, find 'Adguard service' there and stop it. Then restart it when you need it back.

Regarding solving the problem: we are currently working on a fix for a very similar problem, but additional logs will not hurt, so send them to us please, if it is possible. The instruction is in my previous message.

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
@spinedoc777
There are several reasons to have service running in the background even when protection is disabled. For example, if the service is stopped, you can't make any changes to Adguard settings. Also, every time you restart the service, Adguard would have to ask for administrator rights. This would be irritating.

But, if you want to, you can stop the service, of course. Just go to 'services' tab of task manager, find 'Adguard service' there and stop it. Then restart it when you need it back.

Regarding solving the problem: we are currently working on a fix for a very similar problem, but additional logs will not hurt, so send them to us please, if it is possible. The instruction is in my previous message.
Thank you, I'll try that. I'll try to get some logs over as well.

Btw, I guess we've finally found the culprit, should be resolved soon.
Woohoo, great news.

Last edited by a moderator:

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
Just wanted to update this issue is causing me major grief. Having adguard stay resident in the background is affecting my web usage. I've switched to Adblock extension in Edge for most everything, but I still like to use Adguard because it works when Edge is in private mode. But the only issue is since it remains enabled, even when shut off from the taskbar, many webpages won't work with it. The solution to turn the service off and on is onerous and not really reasonable. My only solution is to completely uninstall Adguard. I'm disappointed as I've paid for several licenses, but have uninstalled Adguard on almost all my PC's.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@spinedoc777 Just want to add to Boo's comment that the update is not automatic yet, you have to go to 'About' tab in Adguard and manually start the update.

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
I see an update for 6.1.258.1302, I'll give it a try. I'm also still getting the weird, garbled text on some webpages, so hopefully that helps out as well.

Edit: updated and now it shows 6.1.298.1564, I'm assuming that's the latest version.

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
STILL the same crap, and this is with Adguard disabled from the taskbar icon, but of course it still runs in the background as a service. This is why it's so frustrating, even when I turn it off I still get this crap.

Screenshot (16).png Screenshot (16).png

Attachments

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
It's not just the garbled text, it's that after disabling and exiting adguard IT CONTINUES TO RUN IN THE BACKGROUND. Another example I've run into trouble with are streaming video webpages such as HBO, AMC, etc. They refuse to play video if an adblocker is on. Sure enough, with Adguard running in the background they refuse to play video. So now I have to turn off the service to get video to run.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's not just the garbled text, it's that after disabling and exiting adguard IT CONTINUES TO RUN IN THE BACKGROUND. Another example I've run into trouble with are streaming video webpages such as HBO, AMC, etc. They refuse to play video if an adblocker is on. Sure enough, with Adguard running in the background they refuse to play video. So now I have to turn off the service to get video to run.
Ok, that's new and that's completely impossible to reproduce on my side. Normally, when you exit AG, service is alive but it does literally nothing.

What you tell means that AG was unable to properly exit.

Here is a question: could you please use a test build to collect a detailed log of both issues?
I'll need some time to prepare instruction and this test build.

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
AG seems to properly exit AS INTENDED, which means it still runs in the background as a service even when I shut it off. All of this could be avoided if you just simply let us completely shut off AG when we disable AND fully exit out of it. I still don't understand why it needs to continue to run in the background? I'm not going to go into my services and shut if off every single time I want to not having it running in the background. Maybe simply adding a checkbox in settings for those of us who want to completely shut it off would be the easiest solution?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
AG seems to properly exit AS INTENDED, which means it still runs in the background as a service even when I shut it off. All of this could be avoided if you just simply let us completely shut off AG when we disable AND fully exit out of it. I still don't understand why it needs to continue to run in the background?
The problem is that running or stopping a Windows service requires Administrator privileges.

Adguard's UI, in turn, runs under your user account and does not have Admin privileges by default. So, if we want to stop or start the windows service, we will have to pop up with a UAC dialog window requiring necessary access rights.

Why do we need windows service in the first place? In order to properly work in multi-user environment. When one user exists Adguard, it does not mean AG should be stopped for the second user.

Maybe simply adding a checkbox in settings for those of us who want to completely shut it off would be the easiest solution?
Yup, it makes sense. Something like a dialog window asking if you want to exit AG completely or not?

spinedoc777

Beta Tester
Again another issue today because Adguard is running in the background. When trying to connect a desktop app (Enpass) with my Google Drive I kept getting a "cannot connect" webpage. I now know when I have internet issues the culprit is usually Adguard, so I turned off the service and now my app connected to Drive perfectly. Having Adguard run in the background even when I fully exit is NOT good.