why i like adguard

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by Lola, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Lola

Lola New Member

i opened this topic just to tell the reasons why i like adguard for android:

1) works without root. i'm not a nerd/geek/hacker, i'm really a failure in modding so i can't root my phone, so it's very important that adguard doesn't need it

2) creates a vpn. i like that, because before installing adguard i used adblock plus for andorid for one year and half... what a crap! really horrible app, many crashes, and most important it used a proxy that slowed my connection. and that's not all: ALL the google apps were losing the connection every few seconds due to this proxy, and it was so frustrating for me every time closing the app and opening again to recover the connection. the bad thing is that i doscovered that the problem was caused by adb proxy just when i uninstalled it.. if i knew it before, i'd never had used it. anyway now i'm happy with this inside vpn (i read that adguard advises to use proxy for rooted devices: another good reason to not root my phone :D)

3) doesn't affect battery. i noticed that adguard doesn't consume much buttery, less than 1% relying on the stats i can read. on the other hand, i noticed that if i want to put the phone on airplane mode, first i must disable adguard or it will continue trying connections consuming lot of battery. maybe there will be a future fix for that?

4) privacy and social media filters. i hate facebook and all that stuff, and i don't want to be tracked, so... :cool:

5) other companies are sleeping. i said adblock plus is rubbish, and what about other adblockers? simply don't exist (except the hosts file method, but it needs the root). i heard admucher is creating an app for android but there are a couple of problems: first of all, it's 6 years they're promising a new release but till now just air from the mouth, so when it will come the andorid app? second, they state that this app will use a proxy method and third it's not clear if root is needed

so, long life to adguard :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

I couldn't agree more!! Adguard just works with none of the horrible (truly horrible) side effects of ABP.

While I have root on many of my devices I don't especially enjoy hacking/modding and do so only when absolutely necessary. That said, I did try Adguard in HTTP Proxy mode for several days and found it behaved identically to VPN mode aside from a slight glitch is MMS messaging (see post in technical support thread) which should be fixed in an upcoming release. I only mention this for folks who can't (or don't want) to run in VPN mode due to conflicts with other VPNs.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I never thought to try that actually. Avatar, perhaps Adguard can detect when airplane mode is enabled and pause/stop filtering until airplane mode's disabled?

4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Normally we disable VPN if there's no internet connectivity. It should be done automatically.

Though we have a known bug with Android 5.0 -- this feature does not work with it.

Which version of Android do you use?

5. Lola

Lola New Member

yes, i use android 5.0

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Just wait a little, new version will be ready in a week or two.

Or you can take part in Adguard beta test, the next beta version will be ready on monday.

7. Lola

Lola New Member

good, i'll wait for the next release since i think i'm late for testing beta.

8. hal2k2

hal2k2 New Member

Totally agree!!! It works!!!!