[Win 7 x64] Adguard 6.3 causing YouTube to crash in IE11.

Discussion in 'Quality Control' started by Pentlands, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

This may or may not be related to my other thread?:
    https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/win-7-x64-adguard-6-3-974-and-ie11.28622/

That said, what i have found out after much head banging off desk is that AdGuard is causing YouTube videos on Win7 (64bit) to crash.

I know this because with AdGuard enabled any and all videos i try to run on YouTube when i use IE11 will crash at some point, they start to play and the length they play varies but it doen't matter if it's a 40 sec video or a 30+ minute video, the end result is the same... AdGuard WILL crash the videos at some point.

If i exit Adguard and disable filters (unknown at this point if the filters are relevent) then ALL YouTube videos play in their entireity without issue.

Also notable is that the buffering YouTube requires to enable seemless playback is also much improved.

It's as if AdGuard is throttling YouTube to the point where Youtube gives up and bails out.

Whatever the cause, here's a couple of example videos that have issues with AdGuard running (truth be told you could pick any video!) that no longer have issues without AdGuard, and their corresponding YouTube error screenshots:

AC/DC - Thunderstruck (Official Video)

HMS Vanguard run aground on way to breakers 1960

acdc.JPG HMS%20Vanguard.JPG

I hope that makes sense, and helps.

2. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

@Pentlands It would be helpful if you could list your Adguard filters and Adguard extensions you are using. I'm sure the Devs will ask you to provide a dump as well since you say Adguard is crashing the video's. I had no problems with the youtube videos but I'm using Win 10 X64, so thats not a good test!

3. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

Extensions:

AdGuard Assistant Beta, Version 4.1.12
    Popup Blocker by AdGuard (BETA), Version 2.2.3

"Enable extensions" and "Automatically detect userscripts" are both enabled.

Filters:

English
    Russian
    German
    And oddly, a User Filter with only one rule "@@||mg.mail.yahoo.com^$important,document,~extension" ~ How that got there i have no idea, i certainly didn't add it.

Hope that helps.

4. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

FWIW, the filters can probably be ruled out because i just tried exiting AdGuard but left the filters enabled and the issue remained, the only way to have seemless playback appears to be to disable AdGuard entirely.

5. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

So not even a document exclusion works?

6. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

I have no idea and i have no idea how that User Filter got added.

7. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

I think I'm done with the Beta threads, i post about issues and get nothing back... GitHub might be the flavour of the day but it's not for me.

I'll close another of my threads in this thread simply because neither have had any reply worthy of note:
    https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/win-7-x64-adguard-6-3-974-and-ie11.28622

That said and as a final note, today i stumbled across an option to report the issue in a link above when i selected "Open AdGuard" via a pop up option on my taskbar after AdGuard became unresponsive due to AdGuard blocking my internet connection... because i was never expecting AdGuard to cause an issue like this i always closed AdGuard before i got to click on the option...

Now i know that that option was likely available all along I'll likely just go down that route instead of wasting my time here.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Pentlands why not Github btw?

Regarding the topic, sorry for the delay. We had long holidays in the first weeks of May and it seems that not everyone has recovered.

9. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

In my opinion GitHub is a great place to report and keep track of issues and bugs... forums, well, not so much. If I recall correctly this forum section was created before issue tracking was migrated over to GitHub - furthermore, this forum section isn't really used much.

GitHub just works as an issue tracker. You can confirm (or invalidate, if needbe) issues, add milestones, keep track of reproducing and fixing of issues, etc. With forums it's so easy to miss posts (happens to me a lot), AG team/devs don't visit the forums as often as GitHub (unless there's something urgent, which I'll get the attention of one of the admins/devs via the Telegram chat like I did with this topic), etc.

IMHO, this forum section could be depreciated with a sticky post informing beta testers issues should be reported via GitHub.

10. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Forum still remains a place for discussions, any discussions related to AG. It never hurts having both a bug on GH and a forum thread.

11. Pentlands

Pentlands Beta Tester

I don't have a reason for not trusting Github, I'm sure it's a fine website but i seem to have a mental block when i try and navigate my way around Github, e.g. I've tried to find bug reports for AdGuard there but give up in frustration because i simply can't get my head around how to navigate the site.

Github is a first for me, I've been using browsers since the mid 90's and never once had an issue where i didn't understand how to navigate a website for the info I'm looking for, but Github has me stumped.