WTF is going on?

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by streetwolf, Sep 13, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Having server problems? Even when things were working I had pages that took longer than normal to load. Spinner would spin a long time, sometimes it would never stop. Right now I am using Adblock Edge with no problems.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Sites loading slowly?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

In general slower than a few days ago. Also as I stated the throbber on some sites will spin a long time. One such site is userstyles.org at http://is.gd/gmsUxz.

I just turned on AG and while it is faster than before, AdBlock Edge is a lot faster loading pages. What can the slowdown be caused by? I use the exact same filters in AG as I do in ABE. Unless this get's fixed I will be using ABE.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  4. Boo Berry

Do you have the assistant enabled? Try disabling that.

5. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

6. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Things seem to be fast now. Hope it stays this way.

7. Boo Berry

Very odd indeed.

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Could you send us Adguard log files?

9. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Everything seems OK now.

10. GlobalTraveler

GlobalTraveler New Member

Log file location on Android 4.4

I need to see the list of sites processed to determine which ones to create a rule to block. Where can I find the logs? I've looked for AdGuard directory on my storage, without success. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Mike P

11. avatar

Switch to extended interface, then "Protection" - "Log".

12. GlobalTraveler

Umm, where is the "extended interface"? I looked in all the settings in AG and system. I'm using the free version at this time as a trial of the app. Current version in Android Play Store loaded. MP

13. Boo Berry

He thought you were talking about Adguard for Windows. Logs in the Android version of Adguard can be found in the /sdcard/data/Android/com.adguard.android/cache/logs

14. GlobalTraveler

Thanks to both of you for rapid replies. I found the log and am able to read it as simple text. Interesting contents. Still analyzing it with full logging now turned on. Since this file is stored in a cache directory, it appears that junk file cleaners (like Clean Master and others) will purge the log periodically as a side effect. Still testing this observation.

Now where/how can I view the contents of the standard filters provided as groups by the app? Any pointers welcome.
    MP

Follow-up1: confirmed that CleanMaster junk purges will delete the AG log file and cache directory, with the side effect of killing the AG app, which does not restart automatically. At least in my Android Kitkat 4.4.4 instance...

Follow-up 2: the full detail log capture lists every debug action taken by the app, but doesn't appear to list which web sites are accepted or rejected. I saw lots of IP addresses and redirections when connections are being established, but not the host name. This would be of more value when feeding back into the user blacklist filters. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  15. avatar

Hi @GlobalTraveler!

We'll check it, thank you!

Look for log records with com.adguard.android.FilteringLog category.
    You'll see URLs of the requests processed by Adguard.

Something like this:
    http://screencast.com/t/RFNJXUVTDr

16. avatar

Cannot reproduce it, cleaning cache does not kill the app (I've used CleanMaster too).

17. GlobalTraveler

I've confirmed that CleanMast and Titanium Backup kills AG and doesn't restart it on my Android 4.4.4 from CyanogenMod instance. I tried CCleaner and it doesn't detect the cache or log (unless you enter a special file/folder filter for analysis), so doesn't bother it. Is there some setting in AG or the system to cause it to restart when it is force killed?

I like the looks of the Android Device Monitor screen, but don't recognize the app. I'm not a developer, so may have a limited knowledge of Android. I searched in the Google Play Store and didn't find any of the MANY possible monitor log apps. Can you please refer me the source app from that screen capture you mentioned above?

Thanks for you patience and advice.

Mike P

18. avatar

Normally when you clean AG cache nothing happens. It continues to write log to the "ghost" file.
    In the next version we'll handle it and recreate the log file.

In your case I suspect that the app is killed by CleanMaster prev to cache cleaning.

Device Monitor:
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/monitor.html